Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,315,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
I want a President who will keep the country safe and not make radical changes. If that makes the person average then so be it. This is the President of the United States we are voting for, not President of some High School. People's lives and well being are at stakes along with people's finances, and just because some guy seems more hip and cool doesn't mean he's going to be the better person to deal with the issues at hand.
Without radical change how do we impact our economic woes? They have not evaporated yet and the current model MUST change, with McCain or Obama in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,493,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Can you do me a huge favor? Can you point out where I said all Harvard grads are slow? Can you point out where I specifically disputed Obama's intellect?

Your post honestly makes me question your reading comprehension since I thought what I posted was rather easily comprehended. All I said was that I'd worked with my share of Harvard MBA's--quite a lot of them in fact--and was largely unimpressed. Then I went on to qualify WHY I didn't use Obama's educational pedigree when I assessed his candidacy worthiness.

It's posts like this that make me think that the hard-core people on both sides (McCain and Obama) are just looking for a reason to get into an argument.

Also as most psychologist will tell you, you can have two experiences simultaneously---they don't have to be of the same variety. So, someone questioning Obama's readiness for the Presidency, is not necessarily giving John McCain a "pass". The two are not mutually inclusive.
""I"ve worked with my share of Harvard MBAs and have been largely unimpressed. In fact, one of them is sitting in the State Penitentiary finally serving his sentence for murder! And he was also a student leader in undergraduate school.""

The above statement is your quote.. You were trying to discredit them and in so Obama so lets not try to get all rightoues. It is what it is. We both know what you were attempting to imply by your post so keep the psych nonsense out of it.

Nobody is looking for a reason to get into an argument..We're looking for fairness..If you can question Obama's readiness, I can question and critique your post..

Old 11-03-2008, 09:07 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,965,831 times
What choice do we have? No one has the stones to vote 3rd party and the rest are so party blinded by the two main parties that they are voting based on mascot and not on the issues.

The other problem is that no one in their right mind wants to inherit the mess that the next President will be forced to clean up. 8 years of a terrible President, idiotic House and Congress, corrupt administration and more is a lot to clean up after.

Being President used to be a highly sought after position but now it's just a punching bag for the world and US citizens. Enjoy the next 4 years boys. You've earned it

Old 11-03-2008, 09:13 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,116,608 times
Default The real story!

Quote:
FDR assumed the Presidency under similar conditions. He promptly increased the size of government. Raised taxes. Raised spending. And brought the US into the deepest depression in history. It wasn't the stock market crash that triggered the depression, it was FDR.
Now you’re rewriting history, this is unbelievable! Remember that Republican President Herbert Hoover was in office until 1933 and the stock market crashed in 1929.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM

16,292 posts, read 28,630,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I just don't want a president who is reading chapter 1 of "How to be a President for Dummies".
I'd take an intelligent man learning, vs. an old angry mediocre man that learned at the knee of Bush.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
You can try and compare Carter to Obama but the world is completely different than what is was then, no cold war etc....However, McCain is excatly what Bush is and Bush is the one that will be handing the country over to one of these men in 3 months or so.
Economy is quite similar to what it was under Carter. Job losses should multiply soon as unemployment soars. Inflation is creeping up steadily. Iran is getting aggressive. Remember the American hostages taken by Iran?

I see some similarities.[/quote]

Our economy was driven by factories in 1980..Today it is driven by technology, none of which McCain understands..The future of our ecomony is dependant on how we build our technological infrastructure ie..broadband lines etc..again none of which McCain has a grasp of..If you really think 2008 is anything like 1980, then McCain's your man..The rest of us are 28 years older and understand times change..

Old 11-03-2008, 09:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,007,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
In case you haven't noticed, Obama has had all his college trascripts and records sealed. His Thesis is sealed, his medical records are sealed. So now how do you know he is brilliant? How do you know what kind of of studen he was? They interviewed 400+ students at his college and no one remembered him. Hmmm? Interesting.
We look at where he went to school. He had to compete to get into these schools, and at Harvard, the bar is set pretty high. Then, he made the Harvard Law Review. People who serve on the Review are the best of the best. That attests to the hard work and the insights he brought to his work in law school.

People didn't remember him from college? So what. They know who he is now.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,109,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
""I"ve worked with my share of Harvard MBAs and have been largely unimpressed. In fact, one of them is sitting in the State Penitentiary finally serving his sentence for murder! And he was also a student leader in undergraduate school.""

The above statement is your quote.. You were trying to discredit them and in so Obama so lets not try to get all rightoues. It is what it is. We both know what you were attempting to imply by your post so keep the psych nonsense out of it.

Nobody is looking for a reason to get into an argument..We're looking for fairness..If you can question Obama's readiness, I can question and critique your post..
I wasn't trying to discredit them. They did a good job of that all by themselves. I was discounting their education as a way of defining their competence/lack thereof. I worked with them. I can make a judgement based on my actual experience. You can infer anything you like but you'd most likely be wrong. You could have more accurately said "I believe you are trying to discredit them..." and then maybe I'd take up the discussion with you. But to accuse me of something based on something you believe--well, that's just wrong. And a great way to start an argument.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM

8,046 posts, read 9,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Economy is quite similar to what it was under Carter. Job losses should multiply soon as unemployment soars. Inflation is creeping up steadily. Iran is getting aggressive. Remember the American hostages taken by Iran?

I see some similarities.
Our economy was driven by factories in 1980..Today it is driven by technology, none of which McCain understands..The future of our ecomony is dependant on how we build our technological infrastructure ie..broadband lines etc..again none of which McCain has a grasp of..If you really think 2008 is anything like 1980, then McCain's your man..The rest of us are 28 years older and understand times change..[/quote]

Doesn't matter if your unemployed because your factory shut down or unemployed because your IT job was outsourced to India. Technology has actually made it EASIER to outsource jobs. CT scans and X rays are now being sent to India to have their radiologists read them. Phone calls are diverted to call centers overseas without a hitch. Unemployment will rise and we'll see some Carter-esque similarities.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to discredit them. They did a good job of that all by themselves. I was discounting their education as a way of defining their competence/lack thereof. I worked with them. I can make a judgement based on my actual experience. You can infer anything you like but you'd most likely be wrong. You could have more accurately said "I believe you are trying to discredit them..." and then maybe I'd take up the discussion with you. But to accuse me of something based on something you believe--well, that's just wrong. And a great way to start an argument.
You just discredited yourself with this post. Discount=Discredit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections