Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Be specific. Better yet post video footage. Of bona-fide reporters and politicians that did this. I'm not saying it did not happen; I would just like to see your examples. (and Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton do not fit the aforementioned criteria, sorry)
Here you go:

UNCLE TOM JUSTICE - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
UNCLE TOM JUSTICE - TIME

Clarence Thomas Whines His Way to the Bank | Media and Technology | AlterNet

Obama's pastor said that Clarence Thomas is an Uncle Tom, what do you think? - Yahoo! Answers

Slur made against Powell:

Daily Kos: State of the Nation

Aunt Jemima Rice, Uncle Tom Powell? | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/columnists/story/20579/ - broken link)

Slur made against Rice:

Radio host calls Rice ‘Aunt Jemima’ - Race & ethnicity

Old 11-05-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Thats an incredibly rude thing to say. Glad I never voted for Nader.. LOL.
You must not have listened to it. Nader simply asks if Obama is going to be an "Uncle Sam" that is live up to his promises and take the side of the people, or be an "Uncle Tom" and take the side of big corporations. Nothing rude about it.

Is Obama not to be questioned in any way? ALL politicians should be questioned and scrutinized. Not even Obama should be viewed as some kind of Messiah that doesn't have to fulfill his campaign promises.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Nader's done more for the american people in one month of his career than Obama's done to date and probably will do. I don't agree with his views but the guy is painfully honest and not corrupt which puts him ahead of 95% of politicians , including Obama.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:14 AM

718 posts, read 2,325,522 times
To those of you who find this "offensive", please be aware Nader is just making a simple analogy, using Uncle Tom as a metaphor as a slave to the corporate world. There are many white suburban Uncle Toms who voted for Master Barack Obama last night. Or do you not want to recognize Uncle Tom's Cabin as a source of metaphor so its off limits as a read now?

Please understand writing styles and how certain fictional or actual events in the past can be used to paint a parallel picture of something current. The same way people use the world "Mexican" as a metaphor for someone who works hard in a field. Nobody means for this stuff to be offensive. If you think objectively, you would have known what Nader meant before he had to explain himself to this preprogrammed Obamabot reporter who tossed the race card as if he himself were black.

Fact is Barack Obama has a white mother and his father was an educated man from Kenya, so he has no African American slave ancestors. So all of you who are trying to call out Nader, you are the racist ones because you assume Barack Obama should take offense to this comment due to slave ancestors (but he doesnt have any).

Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c149/MuhnayShot/nader_123467.png (broken link)
DARTH NADER - REAL EVIL!

But The man has Huge freaking Balls.. And I dont think he called him Uncle TOM, he asked a question what will Obama become.

Lets also take a lesson and know what were talking about - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom
Quote:
It is commonly used to describe black people whose political views or allegiances are considered by their critics as detrimental to blacks as a group.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,174,392 times
Preposterous! I saw Nader on FOX when A REP CALLED HIM ON HIS STATEMENT! uNCLE SAM OR UNCLE TOM? BAH!
In this day and age for this lagging sore loser senior citizen whom has been running for may years and has been the spolier of every election to state this? Ugggggg! And the audacity continued! He did not retract his statement or made any excuses but when onto to state that this was being asked of Pres. Obama?
Hmmm...HE looked like a bigot, a relic from the old confederate south a old thing to be tossed away like yesterdays trash.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:24 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,386 times
Nader is the Washington Generals of the Electoral College. I couldn't believe it when I saw him on my ballot. Dude, give it up.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Nader is a moron.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLDanford View Post
Nader is a moron.
It's not moronic to question a politician. They should be questioned. They should not be adored, they should not be immune from questions.

Will Obama follow through with all the many promises he made? Will he think of the 100 million poor Americans or will he end up being a toady of the corporations. That's all Nader asked. Obama isn't really God you know, he can be held up for scrutiny just like all other politicians should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections