Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:13 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,854,979 times

Advertisements

arctichomesteader wrote;
Quote:
My study of history tells me we're headed for a disaster. Wait and see is all we can do (other than prepare to survive it). Every warning sign points to this being something close to the election of 1860 though the secession reaction may be delayed this go around. The problem is, our enemies in the world are starting to circle like hawks, waiting for their chance.
Your "study" of history? What exactly in history have you studied that tells you we're "headed for disaster"?

"Every warning sign"? What does that even mean?

You do realize that the southern states seceeded because of something that they THOUGHT LINCOLN MIGHT DO, right? Back then the rabid press whipped up a lot of fear for poorer southern whites. Today the Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity faction serves the same purpose because the latter day equivalent of those poor southern whites never read a newspaper or book.

I'd suggest for your "study of history" you try reading a book instead of right wing blogs.

Our "enemies are circling" sounds ominous. But what does it mean? You do realize that we possess the only "blue water navy" (worthy of the name) in the world, we possess not only the worlds largest, most powerful air force, (USAF), we also possess the worlds SECOND largest, most powerful air force (USN). Granted our military has been badly depleted by 5 years of idiotic behavior in Iraq but we're still powerful enough that no one will f*** with us in any meaningful way.

Besides, I have utmost confidence in President Obama to actuall READ and ACT UPON his daily security briefings. Not sit there and belittle the person who delivers them as the idiot Bush did when warned of the suspicions of the impending 9/11 attacks.

Relax, stay calm, go about your business and be a responsible citizen.

Or move to AK and be a homesteader. Don't think it'll be paradise on Earth though. The grasss may look greener on the other side, but it's still got to be weeded and mowed.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,866,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
arctichomesteader wrote;

Your "study" of history? What exactly in history have you studied that tells you we're "headed for disaster"?

"Every warning sign"? What does that even mean?

You do realize that the southern states seceeded because of something that they THOUGHT LINCOLN MIGHT DO, right? Back then the rabid press whipped up a lot of fear for poorer southern whites. Today the Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity faction serves the same purpose because the latter day equivalent of those poor southern whites never read a newspaper or book.

I'd suggest for your "study of history" you try reading a book instead of right wing blogs.

Our "enemies are circling" sounds ominous. But what does it mean? You do realize that we possess the only "blue water navy" (worthy of the name) in the world, we possess not only the worlds largest, most powerful air force, (USAF), we also possess the worlds SECOND largest, most powerful air force (USN). Granted our military has been badly depleted by 5 years of idiotic behavior in Iraq but we're still powerful enough that no one will f*** with us in any meaningful way.

Besides, I have utmost confidence in President Obama to actuall READ and ACT UPON his daily security briefings. Not sit there and belittle the person who delivers them as the idiot Bush did when warned of the suspicions of the impending 9/11 attacks.

Relax, stay calm, go about your business and be a responsible citizen.

Or move to AK and be a homesteader. Don't think it'll be paradise on Earth though. The grasss may look greener on the other side, but it's still got to be weeded and mowed.

golfgod

Well said gg....I think that narrow-mindedness and hysteria has consumed some in this election, that is very sad.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:23 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...-gun-bans.html

Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Senator McCain gave a very respectful and considerate concession speech; during that speech, he said certainly we are disappointed, however, the American people made a choice, and 'we were not their choice'. He stated that he not only had called Obama but made it clear that he would support him, work with him on behalf of our country. During this concession speech, there were some people who yelled, 'boo-ed' and Senator McCain was clearly upset and disappointed to hear that unprofessionalism from his supporters and raised his hands, at least three times, to stop that behavior.

Obama gave a very respectfuly and considerate 'acceptance' speech and in that speech he said that to those did not vote him, that he has gained their respect and support yet, he would work hard to do so. And, he stated that he was going to bring together a bi-partisan group in the White House and work collectively.

For those who are still reeling that McCain did not win and believe deeply in the sanctity of religion, God, to the extent and depth of commonality of Governor Palin and McCain...(I don't mean this as others do not believe in God, etc. or whatever is their Higher Power) ...I think it is very important, then, to remember what Governor Palin said: "It is God's Will" who wins this election, and that being said, and if that is the 'place and sentiment one is at' ...then by Palin's own words...It is God's Will that Obama won and that being the case, it must mean, to me, that this is the way it is, it is time for everyone to step up to the plate, support our President-elect and look forward to a new and bright future with an amazing moment in our history.

If those truly believe, not merely state the depth of their beliefs that 'God's Will" is...than explain to me please how can there be so much angst and frustration over this election....to me, you can't preach it, if you can't practice it.
You can get into the argument of man having free choice.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,077,590 times
Obama being the US president is God's Will.
Whether God's will is to punish the USA or reward the USA, I don't know.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:00 PM

I really do not think that Obama is going to change the 2nd Amendment.....

I just would like to ask one thing, those of you that are afraid of your right to bare arms to be taken away in the event to protect yourself and also not pro-choice.....if you, or a loved one's life were threatened (a women's "health", which McCain used in quotes in regard to abortion) was in danger, how would you feel with that right taken away?

I am being sincere, I would really like to know.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:39 AM

I meant bear arms..sorry.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:36 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,744,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Obama being the US president is God's Will.
Whether God's will is to punish the USA or reward the USA, I don't know.
It's the voters' will, otherwise you'd have to say that all abominations (past and present) are also God's will i.e. those abominations caused by man.

The fact that it is the voters' will gives me much more hope for our future.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:37 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,962,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
So does that mean you are opposed to God's Plan or God's Will...there are lots of bad things that happen to many of us...and there are choices with how we deal with those situations...we can be angry and attack, we can sit back and wallow or we can say, hey there is a reason for this and like it or not, "who am I to question"....and I will learn to accept what is on my path at this time...and learn to control what I can control, learn to accept what I can accept and for the rest...it is out of my hands...call it the laws of nature, call it God's Will or call it the Universe being wiser than us...

Whichever, this is our country's path at this time and we need to join in with solidarity, support, encouragement and hope....and I truly believe we have risen in the eyes of many countries and that is truly important and significant.

So, it is what it is...and arguing about it is fruitless and foolish; we have a new President elect and we need to support that person. This country, as a awhole came out in a strong force, the news stated that an additional 11 million voters came out and that is staggering and impressive although that is certainly how it should always be, voting is important...the people took a stand and the choice was made.

Done! Fini! We have lots of good stuff to look forward to; let's not look back but other than to learn from mistakes and failures...because those mistakes and failures, and prejudices etc., and feelings of superiority by some, is pretty much what got us in this position to start with and those actions and attitudes clearly do not work.
Well, let me ask you this. Murder and rape exists in the world and sometimes great evil happens within the world. If it is God's will that these events occur for whatever reason he knows, are we to except the evil? That is, are we to accept murder and rape as right? Or... is it more likely that we are to continue on our path through his teachings and the "evil" that happens is just part of his plan and something we must confront through his teachings? The logic you seem to be presenting attempts to conclude that since evil happens and God allows it, therefore God supports evil and we must embrace it. That would be a severe distortion of his teachings.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,092,936 times
Here's my take.

The people have spoken and Obama is our 44th President. I don't have to like it but I do have to accept it. However, that doesn't automatically erase all the fears I had about him being in office in the first place. At the same time, I'm hoping that none of my fears come to fruition and that Obama turns out to be a *good* change for the United States rather than just change for change's sake.

I'm going to be watching carefully. I'm watching him put his administration together and hoping and praying he picks the best and brightest and does not simply pull the party line and submit to the crony-ism that plagues Washington.

I'm hoping and praying that he is able to come up to speed quickly and that he will figure out the right balance to strike with other world leaders that does not compromise the United States' standing as a superpower, but that conveys that we can and will work with leaders who can rise above their own internal corruption.

I'm hoping and praying that Congress doesn't rubber stamp Obama's policies and vice-versa. I'm hoping he has a backbone and that Nancy Pelosi doesn't just take him for a ride.

I will be watching the 2010 elections. This elections will be a clear message to Obama on how he is doing. If Dems lose a lot of seats, it's likely he'll be a one-term President.

And I know that in 2012, we will have the option to vote him out and I hope and pray there is another candidate or candidates qualified to be POTUS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections