Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,816,145 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, Obama has also inherited Bush's International crap:

WARSAW (AFP) — US president-elect Barack Obama has told Polish President Lech Kaczynski he will go ahead with plans to build a missile defence shield in eastern Europe despite threats from Russia, Warsaw said on Saturday.

"Barack Obama has underlined the importance of the strategic partnership between Poland and the United States, he expressed his hope of continuing the political and military cooperation between our two countries.

"He also said the anti-missile shield project would go ahead," said a statement issued by Kaczynski after the two men spoke by telephone.

The Raw Story | Obama vows to go ahead with missile shield: Polish president
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,202,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

WARSAW (AFP) — US president-elect Barack Obama has told Polish President Lech Kaczynski he will go ahead with plans to build a missile defence shield in eastern Europe despite threats from Russia, Warsaw said on Saturday.
Whoa, that evil liberal peacenik! There he goes, just as we all knew he would, down the path of surrendering to those folks in Poland!

anyone want to take a bet of 10 cyber bucks that Obama will end up being hawkish much to the chagrin of liberals?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
I wonder if its all just posturing.

And I don't expect to agree with 100% of everything he does; then again I do not expect to agree with 100% of the policies of any president.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Unfortunately, Obama has also inherited Bush's International crap:

"Barack Obama has underlined the importance of the strategic partnership between Poland and the United States, he expressed his hope of continuing the political and military cooperation between our two countries.

"He also said the anti-missile shield project would go ahead," said a statement issued by Kaczynski after the two men spoke by telephone.

The Raw Story | Obama vows to go ahead with missile shield: Polish president

Old 11-08-2008, 01:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Whoa, that evil liberal peacenik! There he goes, just as we all knew he would, down the path of surrendering to those folks in Poland!

anyone want to take a bet of 10 cyber bucks that Obama will end up being hawkish much to the chagrin of liberals?
I don't believe he will be hawkish. I believe the Russians have paid close attention to many cues and the election is over, they're making their moves. Cautiously at first of course, January isn't far off.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:30 AM

What do people think the Russians are actually going to do, invade Poland? Garry Kasparov gave an interesting interview last year while running for President, in which he noted something quite interesting that has been echoed by our own intelligence agencies. Russia had everything to gain by sky high oil prices through the conflicts taking place and the destabilization of the Middle East. After all, Russia has a lot of untapped oil reserves and controls a lot of real estate that a good portion of Middle East oil flows through. Could it possibly be that the saber rattling and provocative moves are as much about keeping oil prices high which are a major source of Russian revenues currently?

I guess we would have to ask, what if we treated them with greater indifference and merely a cautious eye? Deflation of tensions wouldn't bode well for maintaining the high prices of this source of income. So then we might ask, would they honestly risk entering into war in order to gain what, high oil prices?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
I watched an interesting documentary on the new Russians on the BBC last night. Basic premise is after the fall of communism, Russians expected the west would come in, help them and there would no longer be this divide. This was far from what happened so the divide exists. They also do not understand why they are being portrayed as the aggressor as they have respected all their territorial agreements (we can discuss Georgia later.. as they view Georgia as the aggressor). Also Gorbachev was promised by Reagan if the wall fell NATO would not be expanded. So now NATO has been expanded and Poland was promised a missile shield. So of course they would put missiles on Kaliningrad!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:35 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,077,356 times
Another 4 years of Bush #2

1) Iran
2) Russia

That's the CHANGE WE NEED!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:40 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,392,712 times
It appears from this article that there is no commitment.

Quote:
U.S. President-elect Barack Obama has made "no commitment" to plans for a missile defense program in eastern Europe, despite a report on Polish president's Web site, an Obama adviser said Saturday.
Quote:
"President Kaczynski raised missile defense, but President-elect Obama made no commitment on it. His position is as it was throughout the campaign: That he supports deploying a missile defense system when the technology is proved to be workable," McDonough said.
CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Obama adviser: No Obama commitment on defense shield « - Blogs from CNN.com

Old 11-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I watched an interesting documentary on the new Russians on the BBC last night. Basic premise is after the fall of communism, Russians expected the west would come in, help them and there would no longer be this divide. This was far from what happened so the divide exists. They also do not understand why they are being portrayed as the aggressor as they have respected all their territorial agreements (we can discuss Georgia later.. as they view Georgia as the aggressor). Also Gorbachev was promised by Reagan if the wall fell NATO would not be expanded. So now NATO has been expanded and Poland was promised a missile shield. So of course they would put missiles on Kaliningrad!
The great peace dividend that was suppose to arise after the fall of the wall, never really transpired. It was very much a missed opportunity to make inroads. This can also be laid at the feet of G H. Bush, William Clinton and G W. Bush as none made any real great efforts to expand our interests into Russia.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
What do people think the Russians are actually going to do, invade Poland? Garry Kasparov gave an interesting interview last year while running for President, in which he noted something quite interesting that has been echoed by our own intelligence agencies. Russia had everything to gain by sky high oil prices through the conflicts taking place and the destabilization of the Middle East. After all, Russia has a lot of untapped oil reserves and controls a lot of real estate that a good portion of Middle East oil flows through. Could it possibly be that the saber rattling and provocative moves are as much about keeping oil prices high which are a major source of Russian revenues currently?

I guess we would have to ask, what if we treated them with greater indifference and merely a cautious eye? Deflation of tensions wouldn't bode well for maintaining the high prices of this source of income. So then we might ask, would they honestly risk entering into war in order to gain what, high oil prices?
What I believe is that as we pull out, some other nation will fill the void.

I doubt that the Russians for example take the terrorist threat from the Middle East as lightly as we now do. If anything that may be a good thing that they are prepared to move in and "cover" Europe since we will no longer be there for that. As we pull out of Iraq, the balance shifts and all the power in one set of hands is not a good thing.

Kosovo I predict will return to Serbia, in my opinion that's a good thing also. I hope there will still be a balance, even if it's Russia and not us providing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections