Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:33 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Bravo!

I will never respect them again! They are part of the reason other counties think we are a bunch of idiots.

Bush being elected TWICE...............................well really only once, is the main part of that reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,963,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
And for what it's worth I will turn off Hank Jr and never purchase one of his CDs again because of his obnoxious support of the McCain ticket.
I used to feel that way, but it got too confusing. Some musicians think a job's a job and they sing for whomever pays 'em. So now I listen to the musicians I like--but I don't listen to their politics. Just like I listen to the politicians I like--but I don't listen to their singing.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,415,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They said it so well as the thumbed their nose and raised their middle finger to the sky to Bush and his minions. Now that they have gotten their just due from the American people is it now time for the Dixie Chicks to make nice?
Should Obama some how incorporate them singing Not Ready To Make Nice into his transition and ascent to rescuing America?

YouTube - Dixie Chicks "Not Ready To Make Nice" at Grammy Awards 2007

The link is them singing it at the Grammy Awards.

I am sure Obama would smile at the thought of Bush having to listen to them at some point in front of a national audience. I would, would you?

made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don't mind sayin'
It's a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Sayin' that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over
Warm up that Fry Daddy!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
If they sing pop they may be embraced by another group of people.....but they will never get back into the mainstream of the country music industry. It's a shame too because they are extremely talented, but apparently not intelligent enough to know the hearts of their original fan base.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If they sing pop they may be embraced by another group of people.....but they will never get back into the mainstream of the country music industry. It's a shame too because they are extremely talented, but apparently not intelligent enough to know the hearts of their original fan base.

So entry to 'mainstream' country music has political requirements?

Sounds like a good place to avoid.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:14 PM

56 posts, read 109,784 times
It's not so much that they spoke out against Bush. It's what transpired afterwords that alienated their fan base and caused their concert producer to resign.

At the time Nat's words were spoken Bush's approval ratings were high. Both the British and American press ran story after story suggesting that her wording was not only anti-Bush but anti-American.

While the press was unfairly biased against the Dixie Chicks, their statements following the incident further fueled the negative reaction.
* The DC's blamed their record company and management team for not coming to their defense saying that they were only concerned with the DC's image and ability to sell records. When this hit the press it made the DC's look like spoiled brats in the eyes of the public furthering the outrage at them.
* The DC's said they were never comfortable being a "country music" group even though their fan base was almost entirely made of country music fans, their records were produced in Nashville and they recently were inducted into the prestigious GOO. This was considered insulting to their fans who quit buying their records and refused to buy concert tickets even at greatly reduced prices. Their largest fan club disbanded when the national president resigned. The DC's major label record contract was 'left" which means it was allowed to expire without an offer to renew by the company.
* The supposed fight with Toby Keith was a Nashville "spotlight" or publicity stunt which was intended to (what else) generate publicity and sell the new DC album (which included the pop song "....Make Nice"). You've got to realize country music is promoted a lot like professional wrestling. If you remember Keith was riding high on the charts churning out patriotic songs which were selling like hotcakes. Nat comes out at the CMA's dressed in a shirt which says "F.U. Toby Keith". of course it hit the newspapers and TV that night and was a "hot" story for over a week. Mission accomplished the DC's are back in the spotlight and the record begins to sell a little. But, if you will recall, radio stations all over the US had quit playing DC music to protest the supposed anti-American statements made in England. No air time---no money.
* The latest attempt to promote the DC's comes from a left coast publicity company which is trying to get the public to side with the DC's as a sort of protest mainstream group. This is the same publicity house that got country musician Dwight Yokum a movie role in a totally forgettable western flick. They got the DC's a few press clippings by getting Nat to say that the DC's were considering changing their names from the Dixie Chicks to the Chicks since they didn't want to be considered Southern anymore.

The DC's have a lot of baggage. A lot of it was their misunderstanding of their fanbase. (1) They didn't expect the negative outcry from their fans nor did they expect the press to tag their comments as anti-American (2) They assumed that their fanbase consisted of both pop and country music fans when in fact their genre was almost entirely country.

Not many in the music industry want to be associated with them any more. They are not selling records. They probably will lose their recording contract in 2009.

TOAST

Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM

998 posts, read 1,514,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
So entry to 'mainstream' country music has political requirements?

Sounds like a good place to avoid.
Country, in general these days, is a good thing to avoid. It's nothing like it was 25 years ago and prior.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,348,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bush being elected TWICE...............................well really only once, is the main part of that reason
BINGO!!!!!!

The first time was bad enough, the second time was just plain STUPID.

Ken

Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Country, in general these days, is a good thing to avoid. It's nothing like it was 25 years ago and prior.

I wouldn't even know what's considered 'mainstream' anymore, I like Willie, Waylon, & Kris as well as Merle, Johnny, and Don Williams for his 'pure' voice. I particularly like Willie & Kris for their writing ability.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:12 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,535,976 times
The Dixie Chicks? I didn't know they were still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections