Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:38 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,998,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
When he called people "my fellow prisoners" -- I hope that wasn't on the teleprompter; if it was, someone on his staff was playing a mean trick!
I think that was just a freudian slip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:41 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,481,171 times
All politicians use a teleprompter..Who cares as long as they say what they believe in. The prompter aids them in presentation not substance.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renus View Post
Hi everyone ^^

This is my new thread in this forum, so I want to ask a question makes me feel inquisitve ^^ ( If this thread coincidence with another, please delete this for me ^^)

Obama is a powerful eloquent, but did he use 'teleprompter' as his best friend? My father told me that ' he is smart enough to not see that "horrible" machine', but I think in contrast. I think that he used this tool to enhance his speech to be much more nice ^^ I still wonder now, that why I post a new thread here ^^ Answer for me, please.

Ps: If he used that thing, maybe I don't like much about his speeches ^^
Hi renus, welcome!

Even with a speech you wrote yourself, teleprompters would be a blessing! The teleprompter just reminds you where you are in the speech so you don't forget. Using a teleprompter doesnt mean that you didn't write the speech.

Obama is more of a writer than a speaker, John McCain is more a speaker than a writer.

He has a speechwriting team now, but Obama still at least drafts his own speeches. Then - sometimes - he shows them to certain advisors, to be "fresh eyes" and, according to the article below, to tighten up his style. But his advisor David Axelrod says, "[Obama] is the best speechwriter in the group and he knows what he wants to say and he generally says it better than anybody else would."

How Obama Writes His Speeches - TIME

Last edited by delusianne; 11-13-2008 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 11:59 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,651,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Why is this an issue? People use teleprompters, regardless of party affiliation... its not uncommon..

YouTube - President-Elect Barack Obama in Chicago

and a teleprompter helps you remember your key points... especially when speaking to millions on a key address...

as much as some people like to use the term 'messiah'.. he isn't..
Exactly. I think people just can't understand why someone would actually LIKE a candidate.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
All politicians use a teleprompter..Who cares as long as they say what they believe in. The prompter aids them in presentation not substance.
Actually, I find prompting devices are helpful in a number of ways, including aiding the substance of a speech. They ensure that complicated ideas are presented properly, as written.

If you're interested in speechmaking, here's a little insight from a person who's given many. There are two types of speeches, written and off-the-cuff. The styles are used for different purposes. Off-the-cuff is used in less formal situations, such as a debate or a rally. Historic occasions usually have formal written speeches. The Grant Park speech was a written speech.

A written speech can either be recited from memory, read from a piece of paper, or read from a prompter. Reciting from memory can result in the speaker looking affected. Also, the speaker needs several hours to memorize a speech--that's not practical for political candidates who have too many other things to do. Most of all, the substance of the speech can be damaged if a sentence is forgotten or mangled. Memorized speeches are prone to gaffes.

Reading a speech from a piece of paper or from a prompter ensures the substance of the speech. Also, the audience knows that every sentence has been written carefully, and is being delivered exactly as written.

So the choice becomes: read from paper or from a prompter. Reading from paper is fine if you are standing at a lectern. However, reading from paper does not allow the speaker to make good eye contact and limits the body language. That's why polished speakers use teleprompters for important speeches such as an address to the nation.

Last edited by normie; 11-13-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 12:44 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,922,211 times
Ever heard the term: "Cat got your tongue?" or "brain fart" They all use TelePrompTer for that reason. We, as viewers have become accustomed to perfectly running live TV, if a candidate had one of those two listed scenarios happen, it would make them look very, very bad. And yes, it happens to even the best of the speakers.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:47 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,481,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Actually, as a person who gives a lot of speeches, I find prompting devices do aid the substance of a speech.

There are two types of speeches, written and off-the-cuff. The styles are used for different purposes. The Grant Park speech was a written speech (as are most speeches given on an important occasion like that). A written speech can either be recited from memory, read from a piece of paper, or read from a prompter.

Reciting from memory can result in the speaker looking affected. Also, the substance of the speech can be damaged if a sentence is forgotten or mangled. Memorized speeches are prone to gaffes.

Reading a speech from a piece of paper or from a prompter ensures the substance of the speech. Also, the audience knows that every sentence has been written carefully, and is being delivered exactly as written.

So the choice becomes: read from paper or from a prompter. Reading from paper does not allow the speaker to make good eye contact, however, and limits the body language. That's why polished speakers use teleprompters for important speeches such as an address to the nation.
I think that the substance is written and needs to be delivered. The prompter aids one in delivering that substance. If you give Bill Clinton and John Kerry the same speech, the words/substance will be the same, the presentation will be different.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 19,494 times
Okay, thank you all of you ^^

In my opinion, I don't like my President-elect uses a teleprompter ^^ I want a speech from the bottom of his heart, not from the bottom of that machine... But Obama has written almost his speeches, that makes me less disappointed ...

I really admire people who can speak without seeing 'anything', because it reflects his talent... When I heard the Victory Speech of Obama, I was moved. It's very nice, and it convinces us so much. We believe that is the person we need in the Presindecy...

Okie, no problem ^^ The problem is that we wait until 20/1/2009 and see Obama's step to White House ^^ And then, we see how he will do to help America out of this Depression ^^

Renus.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:26 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,176,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renus View Post
Okay, thank you all of you ^^

In my opinion, I don't like my President-elect uses a teleprompter ^^ I want a speech from the bottom of his heart, not from the bottom of that machine... But Obama has written almost his speeches, that makes me less disappointed ...

I really admire people who can speak without seeing 'anything', because it reflects his talent... When I heard the Victory Speech of Obama, I was moved. It's very nice, and it convinces us so much. We believe that is the person we need in the Presindecy...

Okie, no problem ^^ The problem is that we wait until 20/1/2009 and see Obama's step to White House ^^ And then, we see how he will do to help America out of this Depression ^^

Renus.
Do remember that even if you wrote the speech, and you know it inside out, when it is time to deliver the speech in front of millions of people, you don't want to get confused. That's what a Teleprompter is for.

It would be great if it were possible to deliver every speech that you wrote from the bottom of your heart with extemporaneous passion, but that's just not realistic.

Here are transcripts of some of Obama's speeches - even if now and then he spoke extemporaneously within them, you can see that they're long and detailed. It's certainly easier if you have a device that shows you where you just were and what's coming up.

Barack Obama Speeches | In His Own Words (http://www.barackobama.com/speeches/index.php - broken link)

Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It would be great if it were possible to deliver every speech that you wrote from the bottom of your heart with extemporaneous passion, but that's just not realistic.
It only happens in the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections