Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,301,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You might touch on how neither candidate would commit to immigration enforcement. Even though the majority of Americans want enforcement.
Another topic that went unaddressed during the campaign was the do nothing house and senate which helped to exasperate the current crisis.
Another would be the record number of misstated so-called facts by both sides.
I think that its pretty awesome what your doing.
Tinman,,,,,,,,,great catch and reply...........COuldnt agree more on the sentiment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
You might discuss negative campaigning and how it was less effective this time around. I don't know your state, but here in CO it wasn't effective in state/local races, either, though it was used a lot.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:57 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,396,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Wow JPS, I wish you were my child's teacher. There are so many life lessons that can be incorporated into a study on the election.

First, I think it would be great to tie history into present day by addressing Obama's respect for Abraham Lincoln and the fact that he has stated that he would like to build his cabinet similar to the way Lincoln did. Pulling your adversaries close is not a bad life lesson to learn- because often, in spite of differences, there are usually similarities.The fact that Springfield IL was a special place to Obama throughout the campaign is neat too.

I also think that a focus on Obama's roots and upbringing is very important to touch upon. Teenagers often aren't sure that they can really accomplish as much as they really can- showing them that Obama did not lead a charmed life and had the odds stacked against him can serve as inspiration for everyone- and prove that everyone can do anything if they set their minds to it.

Finally, Obama's empowerment of the people was unprecedented. His use of the web, his giving of the campaing and the election to his supporters made so many of us feel that his success would be our success.

I can't wait to hear how this works out for you.

Obama lived a very good life, in Hawaii, in private schools, attending college paid for by benefactors, going to Columbia, having enough money to support a cocaine habit, attending Harvard Law (also paid for) and then having enough money to buy his way into the White House.
So may view his race as an obstacle, but in his case, it was a benefit.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,842,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Obama lived a very good life, in Hawaii, in private schools, attending college paid for by benefactors, going to Columbia, having enough money to support a cocaine habit, attending Harvard Law (also paid for) and then having enough money to buy his way into the White House.

Depends on the perspective. You choose to believe the rumors and innuendo rather than look at the facts.

Children who are still in school deserve to know the truth rather than right wing pathetic rhetoric like that which you preach.

I'm glad you're not a teacher.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:56 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,359,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I am going to be working with about 30 junior and senior high school students, discussing the implications of this election - national, primarily, with a bit about some states.

What do you think are the most salient points to be made? Where would you start?

Figure we will touch on:
a) who won and who has how many seats where
b) unresolved questions - GA, MN maybe, AK, maybe, the Supreme Court and the new CA lawsuit, that the Electoral College will not yet have voted
c) the current crises - bailouts/auto industry/stock market/Iraq/Afghanistan

So, what other issues? What articles or essays would you recommend? Figure that these are wiling readers, and I am building a bibliography of sorts for them.

And I am looking for your best ideas - from either side of the fence, from the 3rd parties, or from outside looking in. Obviously, I can't promise to use everything, but I can promise that it will be as fair and balanced (tm) as I can make it - complete with telling my students my bias, at the start, so they can use that info as a filter.
I think that b) and c) above are most important, and important as they relate to policy and governance, rather than strictly to the election process. After all, the point of the election is to get to governance that will, hopefully, be able to solve problems as they occur and to promote peace and prosperity for the nation. . . right?
I suspect that there will be quite a few Junior High students who would rather have the "excitement" of the election debate, rather than the hard choices of governance to guide the discussion, but if I were teaching poly sci or government classes to kids that age, I would really challenge them to think about and discuss the hard choices that will face the incoming administration. Also, since these kids undoubtedly have been exposed to their parents political leanings, a well moderated discussion of liberal vs conservative political thought might be in order.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:58 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,396,035 times
Quote:
Depends on the perspective. You choose to believe the rumors and innuendo rather than look at the facts.

Children who are still in school deserve to know the truth rather than right wing pathetic rhetoric like that which you preach.

I'm glad you're not a teacher.

Those are the facts. Read his autobiography. I'm not a right-wing anything, I'm a registered Democrat. I am, however, a teacher.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Is there a problem with Obama's educational history? I see no problem here. Unless, of course, you're saying that anyone who doesn't pay for their college education by themselves is somehow suspect.

As for the cocaine habit: Big friggin' deal. I spent a whole summer doing cocaine. So did a lot of other people I know. And then we moved on and grew up. Something you might consider doing.

And as for the obnoxious statement about his race being a "benefit" and the accusation that he had "enough money to buy his way into the White House"? Enough with, in the first instance, your racist insinuations, and in the second, your sour grapes.

And you're a teacher? Good lord.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:18 PM

89,098 posts, read 44,917,204 times
Quote:
Those are facts. Have you read his books? Obama is not a self-made man; he had a lot of help. Most people don't get anywhere near as much help as he did.

Having known what Obama is like for years... his deliberate race-baiting while making patently false assertions regarding the inner-city school funding issue, his opportunism, etc., I was very disappointed to see that so many people bought into the 'marketed' Obama.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,285,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Those are facts. Have you read his books? Obama is not a self-made man; he had a lot of help. Most people don't get anywhere near as much help as he did.

Having known what Obama is like for years... his deliberate race-baiting while making patently false assertions regarding the inner-city school funding issue, his opportunism, etc., I was very disappointed to see that so many people bought into the 'marketed' Obama.

B.S. All the way down the line.

Get over yourself, and stop watching FOX network.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
It did at the end, when she was desperate. But before that, it was a regular campaign, just like any other. There were tons of ads, issue papers, debates, and talking heads.

Where do you get your strange notions?
Must be the spew from Hillarys mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections