Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

167 posts, read 454,321 times

Advertisements

Middle East countries have very few woman in government. In those countries, woman are second class citizens.

Who Me, not that I think a man could do a better job in the position of Secretary of State and perhaps I stated it wrong...came out wrong and I apologize for that but what I meant to say, is when woman are inferior to men in the ME, I come to the conclusion perhaps a man in that position would be make more headway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 PM

972 posts, read 1,333,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Wow, what a sexist a post. Why would a "man" be better as SOS? To debate his choices is ok but to base them on sex is absurd..
just what I was thinking.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,484,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
Middle East countries have very few woman in government. In those countries, woman are second class citizens.

Who Me, not that I think a man could do a better job in the position of Secretary of State and perhaps I stated it wrong...came out wrong and I apologize for that but what I meant to say, is when woman are inferior to men in the ME, I come to the conclusion perhaps a man in that position would be make more headway.
Madeline Albright did pretty well under Clinton in the 90s.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:06 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
Quote:
I am very disappointed in Obama's .
Bitching is fine, so give us your choices for cabinet positions that he has filled so far.

Personally, based on his campaign alone Obama has demonstrated a gift for picking the right people and the leadership to meld them into his own vision. Throughout the campaign, many of his staff members argued that he should have taken a different tack regarding addressing the attacks made by Palin and McCain. Obama held to his position on how the campaign should be run without stifling their dissent. It appears that he intends on running his administration the same way.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,137,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Wow, what a sexist a post. Why would a "man" be better as SOS? To debate his choices is ok but to base them on sex is absurd..
That is a legitimate concern about the gender of the Secretary of State and how they will be received by different cultures. The cultural discrimination that exists in parts of the Moslem world is a possible hinderance she might have to deal with. In addition both she and Obama might face cultural challenges with the Russians who don't seem to have anyone in their political structure who looks like either Clinton or Obama and they have a history of non tolerance towards Blacks and how many females are in their government.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,923,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Madeline Albright did pretty well under Clinton in the 90s.
You must have missed a few years..! Madeline was the worst of the worst, and not because she was a woman, it was because she was completely incompetent..!!
That being said, I hope every one of BO's picks turn out to be fantastic and we all will be the winners for his choices...

Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,777,160 times
Quote:
I am very disappointed in Obama's .

The Middle East is what our country needs to concentrate in and I feel a man would be a better choice as Secretary of State? What do you feel?

Also, not happy about Arizona's Governor Janet Napolitano as Home Land Security. For someone who couldn't maintain security with Mexico, kinda scary she will be in charge of the whole country. I feel she is a lousy Governor as she flip/flops.

I am glad that Gates will stay on for awhile anyway.

Oh, well. I hope for the best as we can't afford politics as usual.
I think you should sit down, write him a letter, give him your opinion. Who knows, maybe he'll listen to you?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,137,272 times
Quote:

All the news that's fun to print
And now for the moment you've been waiting for: the funniest news story of the year. It's comforting to know that no matter how famous people get in life, there's often a key moment that can bring them down to Earth in a flash. And that's exactly what happened to our very own secretary of state, when Madeleine Albright was mistaken for a hotel maid.

Funniest story: 'Maddie' Albright mistaken for hotel maid

This story is delicious on so many different levels. It's not just that Albright was thought to be the cleaning lady. She could have easily joked it off. But her launching into an untranslatable tirade of swearing is a tribute to her command of the English language

Old 12-01-2008, 04:58 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,594,882 times
"They are both not ready for the 3 a.m. call" - Susan Rice, incoming Ambassador to the United Nations on President-Elect Obama and incoming Sec. of State Clinton's run for the presidency. DOH!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,490,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That is a legitimate concern about the gender of the Secretary of State and how they will be received by different cultures. The cultural discrimination that exists in parts of the Moslem world is a possible hinderance she might have to deal with. In addition both she and Obama might face cultural challenges with the Russians who don't seem to have anyone in their political structure who looks like either Clinton or Obama and they have a history of non tolerance towards Blacks and how many females are in their government.
This should in no way be a legitimate concern for U.S. foreign policy. We should not base our selections for our most prominent positions on how a few countries view women and or minorities. She and Obama in their diversity will be a symbol of our foreign policy. We've already seen with the election of Obama, Al-Queda leaders have been reduced to reaching for reasons to hate us calling Obama childish names..To say they will have a harder time then a white male is completely absurd. The U.S. sets U.S. foreign policy, not another country. These countries are more concerned with policy not who the messenger is. If they don't respect the woman, they'll have to respect her words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections