Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,918,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Give me a couple of years and maybe I'll be able to lay off the harsh Bush rhetoric. It's too soon to forget the pi$$-poor job he's done. Oooops. Sorry.

I think (hope) Obama's presidency will be different from the Clinton presidency in that it will be less secretive, more transparent and free of scandal. I'm grateful for the 8 years of peace and prosperity we had while Bill Clinton was president, but to me, there's always an air of conniving and self-aggrandizment surrounding the Clinton's which I don't get from Obama. Maybe being the president causes that to happen. I don't know yet, but that's another change I hope we see.
I actually agree with you in many ways. I am disappointed in many aspects of the job Bush did, but his presidency is forever colored by 9/11 and his response to it. I've said it before, but I think he would have been criticized for any response after a while as either too little or too much. However we must remember that the country was pretty unified that he do SOMETHING in response.

I also agree that Obama comes across as more genuine and less smarmy than ol Bill. My concern and many of my fellow conservatives is much along the lines with the concerns that the left had with Palin: Not enough experience and we really don't know how he will goven. He doesn't have enough of a track record on an executive level to really know. What we do know seems to be scarily left.

However, one can be more extreme in a lesser position and the office of the President (hopefully) will cause the man to govern from the center. That is his promise to me, one who did not vote for him, when he made his acceptance speech the night of the election. He promised to be my president just as much as anyone else.

In this season of peace on earth and good will to all men, I will accept that promise and give him the due respect to be just that. A president that represents me and my concerns for this great country that is my home.

If not, this country has a short memory and 2012 could swing us back right and to another "change."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 06:45 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,030,061 times
I almost never quote an entire post, but I can't pick any one sentence that catches my attention. This was loaded with interesting points. So instead of commenting on a particular point, I just want to tell you that your entire post was well written and persuasive. I look forward to reading more from you. Very nice, and rep points to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I actually agree with you in many ways. I am disappointed in many aspects of the job Bush did, but his presidency is forever colored by 9/11 and his response to it. I've said it before, but I think he would have been criticized for any response after a while as either too little or too much. However we must remember that the country was pretty unified that he do SOMETHING in response.

I also agree that Obama comes across as more genuine and less smarmy than ol Bill. My concern and many of my fellow conservatives is much along the lines with the concerns that the left had with Palin: Not enough experience and we really don't know how he will goven. He doesn't have enough of a track record on an executive level to really know. What we do know seems to be scarily left.

However, one can be more extreme in a lesser position and the office of the President (hopefully) will cause the man to govern from the center. That is his promise to me, one who did not vote for him, when he made his acceptance speech the night of the election. He promised to be my president just as much as anyone else.

In this season of peace on earth and good will to all men, I will accept that promise and give him the due respect to be just that. A president that represents me and my concerns for this great country that is my home.

If not, this country has a short memory and 2012 could swing us back right and to another "change."

Old 12-05-2008, 07:59 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,790,097 times
Quote:

If Obama is truly as smart, disciplined, thoughtful and deliberative as he seems to be, I think he'll be a good president, regardless of his how "scarily left" some perceive him to be. I'd be happy with a smart, disciplined, thoughtful, deliberative conservative president as well. Anytime we have leaders who put the country's interests first over their own or those of of special interest groups, we're going to be ok. There may be differences in economic or social policy, but when someone tries to do their best by the greatest number of people, the hard work and good spirit of the American people will lift our country up.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,858,907 times
I agree with Normie- Saintmarks sounds intelligent and capable of productive debate.

It's nice to see somebody accepting the election results with an open mind.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,407,004 times
I just hope all those misogynists in the Middle East keep an open mind about another female secretary of state. Last time I checked, they were not of the same progressive mindset as we.

Just stating facts, here.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,858,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I just hope all those misogynists in the Middle East keep an open mind about another female secretary of state. Last time I checked, they were not of the same progressive mindset as we.

Just stating facts, here.

Thank GOD we live here instead.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,210,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Thank GOD we live here instead.
Ya, we don't stone women to death for being raped but if you think misogyny is not present here you aren't paying attention...we're not that far ahead.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,407,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, we don't stone women to death for being raped but if you think misogyny is not present here you aren't paying attention...we're not that far ahead.
Oh, indeed. I've seen stoned women stroll past my window several times over the years.

And it's not like we have a bunch of female Senators and nearly nominated and elected a woman President.

These are cruel times in America.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM

37,834 posts, read 41,181,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
I am very disappointed in Obama's .
Frankly, I think whether we got McCain or Obama or Bush, the goal is the same. Make the country so afraid by manufactured crisis, we are willing to give up our sovereignty, the constitution and the American dollar for a North American Union just to avoid a depression.

My money is still that this is what Biden was hinting at during the campaign, not a terrorist attack, when he said Obama is going to do something and we won't like it but we should all get behind him. The thing is, I think McCain would have done it, too. So, it doesn't really matter who his cabinet picks are as long as they are all going to push us down this loathsome road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections