Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,654,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
He's a Christian, you ninny.
I know he is, but can you just picture the heads of half the people on this forum exploding if he used the Koran? It would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,865,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We might show the world we are not a nation with a majority of ignorant, right wing rednecks who shriek over the use of a name they don't consider fully 'Murikan enough.

Wonderful progress, and a giant leap forward from the previous 8 years, which are considered by many to be the American version of the Dark Ages.
If you have ever traveled throughout the world and experienced cultures and outlooks then you will know that the coronation of BHO will not be the remedy. There are and always will be large populations that will never accept the olive branch that so many feel this new administration will provide. I am sorry that this is the case, but reality is harsh. We just have have do our best to forge responsible alliances, but we have to be at the same pragmatic.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,757,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I want them to bring out the Koran to an audible gasp, then Obama will go GOT YOUUUUUUUU and they'll all laugh and bring out the bible
That would just be too perfectly funny

Old 12-11-2008, 01:24 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,588,646 times
Haa haaaa haaaaaaa!!!! ROFLMAO!!!!

Now a President taking the oath using his full-name is a 'blot' on Obama's record....

Haa haaaa haaaaaaa!!!!!

You CAN'T make this stuff up!!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:30 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,925,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
If you have ever traveled throughout the world and experienced cultures and outlooks then you will know that the coronation of BHO will not be the remedy. There are and always will be large populations that will never accept the olive branch that so many feel this new administration will provide. I am sorry that this is the case, but reality is harsh. We just have have do our best to forge responsible alliances, but we have to be at the same pragmatic.
I have traveled extensively to other countries and can state we are not the beloved nation many thing we are. Our egos (Americans) are larger than our world wide rep. Whose fault is that? IMHO, our own. I have seen arrogant, rude American everywhere I go and am embarrassed to the core!! Our arrogance as a 'power' is not well received by citizens of other countries. I have hope that our President-elect will help improve our world wide image.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:19 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,386,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
I know he is, but can you just picture the heads of half the people on this forum exploding if he used the Koran? It would be great!
Their heads are going to explode just seeing him sworn in PERIOD.

Ken

Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,193,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Their heads are going to explode just seeing him sworn in PERIOD.

Ken
Y E S !!!!!!!

And THAT will make my day!

President Barack HUSSEIN OBAMA!!!!!

And NOT John McSAME!!! Not SaraTodd Palin, Bubblehead-in-Chief of Republicans.....

Old 12-11-2008, 07:04 PM

11,393 posts, read 16,781,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Tell us all where he's done that before. Seriously. We'd like to hear it.

Maybe you should read the OP'ers link.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:06 PM

11,393 posts, read 16,781,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This comment gets even dumber the more I think about it. Were you upset every time John Sidney McCain used his name to appease or gain favor with the Anglo-Saxon community?
John Sidney McCain didn't say that he's using his middle name to appease the Anglo community.

Obama did.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,386,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
John Sidney McCain didn't say that he's using his middle name to appease the Anglo community.

Obama did.
Nothing wrong with showing the Arab world that in a Democracy you can rise to the top regardless of your race, ethnic background OR an Arab-sounding name (even at a time when we are struggling with Arab extremists).

Isn't that WHY we invaded/liberated Iraq - to show them that Democracy can give them a better life? That's what the GOP tells us anyway (are YOU telling me the President has lied to us and that we only invaded them for oil?). Seems to me that perhaps the major problem with establishing Democracy anywhere in the Arab World is that fact that the people in that region tend to be intolerant of anyone who different - who doesn't look like them, worship like them, or agree with them. Shouldn't we be showing them that in a REAL Democracy that even someone of a minority class and with a foreign-sounding Arab name can rise to the top - and IS ACCEPTED BY THE MAJORITY?

Seems like a pretty good idea to me to lead by example - and if Obama can make it really obvious that that's what America does, then I say "go for it". Winning any war has just as much to do with convincing people of the justness of your cause as it does to do with the deadliness of your bombs and bullets - AND it's a WHOLE lot cheaper in blood and treasure.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections