Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times

Advertisements

I think he was pretty much forced into spending that much money because of the size of the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 AM

27,217 posts, read 46,791,599 times
Obama's people are saying that they think no one will have an issue with the 150 million the inauguration cost....I guess they only look at their own party and the people who can't wait till he is the president and they will receive their stimilus check in the mail....

Some of these people are like brain washed...I'm not blaming Obama for that since he can only enjoy it as long as it keeps on going this way...but if the checks and the jobs he promissed to create (which we all know are created by entrepeneurs and business people, specially small business people), aren't coming the situation can become scary....they can turn against him!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,213,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
O I see because he's the first black president let's make an exception and waist the tax payers money again.

Color doesn't really mean as much anymore because racial prejudice has practically been eliminated by political watchdogs and the public itself.

Our forefathers didn't set up the Constitution for the government but the people and it's knowingly backwards.

Looking for a reason to complain? No looking for a leader TO DO THE RIGHT THING.

If he spent less people with any intelligences would find great pride and appreciation for DOING RIGHT THING

And bringing up a former president in comparison solves NOTHING but perpetuates discord.
Boy, sour grapes! I wonder if you posted when Paul Brenner could not account for 9 billion dollars in Iraq? It just disappeared, how about that! Your true colors are showing through. You are a representative of the Grand OLD Party are you not? Your not a party of hope and change/vision you are a party of hate and divide. Get over it and enjoy the next 8 years of change that we can believe.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:18 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm talking about your supercilious "unnecessary" and "this takes the cake" comments. Somewhere between five and ten times the number of people who came to Washington for the inauguration in 2005 are going to try to come this year. You think a city can absorb those kinds of numbers without spending some money? What do you think the money is being spent on anyway? What is it that "takes the cake"? Which line items would you like to see stricken from this inauguration budget that you seem to have reviewed so carefully? Is it the 5,000 porta-potties that each need to be cleaned out three times a day? Is it the costs of the extra trains on Metro, the extra traffic control, or the need to arrange parking for 10,000 buses? What about the temporary water stations and emergency medical services tents? Constructing the stands and other viewing posts for the parade? The thousands of man hours worth of post-inaugural cleanup that will need to be paid for? Or how about all the security teams and equipment that will have to be brought in, is that sort of thing an example of going overboard?

Apparently it is, because that $42.3 million number you see quoted all over the place as having been the cost of the second Bush inaugural includes exactly NONE of them. That's right...not one thin dime. What was the total tab for all that support back in 2005? $115.5 million, that's what it was. OMG...that makes the actual total cost of the Bushie inaugural be $157.8 million, doesn't it. So how do those comments such as "I just wish [Obama] had not felt it necessary to spend $150 million to celebrate the event..." start to sound now, eh?

But wait, let's go at it another way. No one really knows yet what the final 2009 support costs will turn out to be, so what if we threw all that stuff out and put the Obama number back onto the same basis as the Bushie $42.3 million...what would that work out to be? Just about $45 million...that's what it would work out to be...
Great explanation. Forgive me for not being as insightful as you. What was I thinking? I apologize.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,495,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Great explanation. Forgive me for not being as insightful as you. What was I thinking? I apologize.
No apology necessary at all except perhaps from the disinformation media that have persisted in the $42 million versus $160 million (or whatever) dishonesty. It is everywhere -- including via an osmosis of inattention in some outlets that typically reflect higher standards.

If anything, it is I who should perhaps apologize, in that on rereading that post, it seems to me that a bit more of my own sense of frustration at the situation crept into it than was absolutely necessary. Still, I am glad if the point was made well enough to be understood...

Old 01-18-2009, 09:10 AM

423 posts, read 1,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think he was pretty much forced into spending that much money because of the size of the event.

So every time Obama spends too much will say he was forced too

You know when you where in high school and where about to take the Big test and everyone in the class was equal in status BECAUSE NO ONE WAS TESTED YET!

Obama hasn't even been tested yet and so many make it seem he already has a track record of success, now that's laughable.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Interesting report that details how that $160 million dollar was calculated and how it compares to the Bush Inauguration of 2005:

Media Matters - The media myth about the cost of Obama's inauguration

Old 01-18-2009, 10:34 AM

423 posts, read 1,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting report that details how that $160 million dollar was calculated and how it compares to the Bush Inauguration of 2005:

Media Matters - The media myth about the cost of Obama's inauguration

Good to know I'm not alone in my disapproval of the excessive cost

Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
I think the cost is exaggerated, but also keep in mind that the sheer size of this event is going to require more money.

I didn't vote for Obama, but I wish people would give the guy a chance!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,842,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx08 View Post
How do you figure Obama is setting the examples.
By the way....what is the reason you support Obama?
Because GOP hasn't offered a pragmatic solution. They are sticking to an ideology that hasn't worked in times like these, and they haven't demonstrated fiscal responsibility in ages.

Remember, the republicans wanted balanced budget amendment to the constitution, and somehow managed to increase national deficit from less than a trillion in 1980 to $5.6T when Clinton took office twelve years later. They professed tax cuts with the handful of budget surplus years we have had in decades while the democrats wanted to pay off some of the national debt.

And of course, it took two more terms by the republican administration to double the national deficit and leave this nation in a bigger doo doo that must be cleaned up. Unfortunately, and while I am an advocate of cutting UNNECESSARY spending, simply cutting spending and trying to balance the budget is going to be, "Hooverian". There will be more layoffs, budget shortfall (i.e. deficit will be overwhelming and more than negate "spending cuts") ensuring a precedent for economy to find itself unrecoverable on its own (implying depression).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections