Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times

Advertisements

Well you know the saying... A liberal and his money are soon parted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,425,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Isn't that basically half of what we p_i_s_s away each and every day in Iraq???

This is money far better spent in my opinion... so millions of Americans can partake in this historical event...

Doesn't matter how the cookie crumbles, still an overkill of monies,OMG get a grip., we're in a recession and this much is spent for our new president.
From MSNBC News:
WASHINGTON - Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party. The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Doesn't matter how the cookie crumbles, still an overkill of monies,OMG get a grip., we're in a recession and this much is spent for our new president.
From MSNBC News:
WASHINGTON - Unemployment is up. The stock market is down. Let's party. The price tag for President-elect Barack Obama's inauguration gala is expected to break records, with some estimates reaching as high as $150 million. Despite the bleak economy, however, Democrats who called on President George W. Bush to be frugal four years ago are issuing no such demands now that an inaugural weekend of rock concerts and star-studded parties has begun.
Isn't that hypocrisy we can believe in?

My word MSNBC said that!!! Is the bloom so soon off the rose?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
[quote=dcadca;7075792]Hold up, nowhere does it say that all the hoopla around it has to happen. He can go to the Senate floor be sworn in and get his butt to work. All this other crap is just that crap!

Check this link out.

Costly price tag for Obama inauguration - Inauguration- msnbc.com[

Security and transportation costs are being paid by taxpayers. And with millions of tourists expected to descend on Washington for Tuesday's inauguration ceremony, Bush declared a state of emergency, allowing the district to recover some costs for the event./quote]

So, basically we're paying for our own party
Glad to see my hard-earned taxes being spent for something I want for a change.

And, based on the number of people who've been on the mall and all around D.C. the last few days, I'd say, there's a LOT of people who are happy to see their taxes spent this way too.

And think of all of the money that is going back into the economy, what with all these people traveling and staying in hotels and eating at restaurants and buying souvenirs. I really can't see the downside.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Quote:
So, basically we're paying for our own party
Glad to see my hard-earned taxes being spent for something I want for a change.
Well what about the half of the country that does NOT want to pay for "your" party?

Quote:
And, based on the number of people who've been on the mall and all around D.C. the last few days, I'd say, there's a LOT of people who are happy to see their taxes spent this way too.
You seem to forget that there are people in this country that are losing their homes some how I don't think they want their tax dollars going to "your" party.

Quote:
And think of all of the money that is going back into the economy, what with all these people traveling and staying in hotels and eating at restaurants and buying souvenirs. I really can't see the downside.
I'm not surprised that you can't see the down side but if the President costing the taxpayers all this money was a Rep. I bet the tune would be very different.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
You seem to forget that there are people in this country that are losing their homes some how I don't think they want their tax dollars going to "your" party.
Could republicans be any more clueless about how this economy can be jump started?

If I were a businessman, who could invest $160m to cover the entire inauguration with a guarantee that I get every penny that gets circulated to the economy as a result of 1.5m or so people being a part of it, I would do so without thinking twice.

If a fraction of people were attending (as happened with Bush inaugural in 2005) while costing as much, then of course, it would be a bad proposition.

Or, may be, we can pay for it, by not sending $4B to Israelis every year, or spending $10B/month in Iraq every month. Why haven't those bothered you? Penny wise, pound foolish couldn't be, right?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
[quote=Goldwing;7003828]O I see because he's the first black president let's make an exception and waist the tax payers money again.

Color doesn't really mean as much anymore because racial prejudice has practically been eliminated by political watchdogs and the public itself.

Our forefathers didn't set up the Constitution for the government but the people and it's knowingly backwards.

Looking for a reason to complain? No looking for a leader TO DO THE RIGHT THING.

Were you as upset with money GOP spent on Palin? Maybe you think its ok because that money was solicitated! I think that shows the nature of the GOP! They spend spend spend! All the time atacking the DFL atleast the DFL attempts to pay what it spends! Except all the GOP faithful don't want to pay what they spend!

Old 01-20-2009, 12:45 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
trillion sounds bout right
It may "sound right" but it is not accurate.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,228 times
Do liberals and Democrats even know what hypocrisy means? This is why the Democrats are a joke and always will be a joke. This is why anyone who voted for Obama is getting the wool pulled over his eyes. I went back and read articles from 2005 on how the Dems called for Bush to keep the costs down on his inauguration, yet they say nothing to Obama for quadrupling that amount. It is liberal whacko hypocrisy at it's finest.

The thing is, I laughed at first and then the more I thought about it the more I got mad. It shows that the Dems have no desire to make this country better.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Even if that was true (the $40 million part), we both know it's not going to make one bit of difference to our local crybaby liberals. They hate Bush SO MUCH that he could have entirely funded his Inaugurations with his own money, and they'd STILL be complaining about it.
This sums you up to a 'T'.

Even though we are right - Bush spent just as much as Obama - you think we'd be "whining" anyway. Some poster throws up a false link implying that Obama's spending is way over the line, we correct the record with the facts, and your response is that we're whiners (who just may be right this time). Unreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections