Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Do liberals and Democrats even know what hypocrisy means? This is why the Democrats are a joke and always will be a joke. This is why anyone who voted for Obama is getting the wool pulled over his eyes. I went back and read articles from 2005 on how the Dems called for Bush to keep the costs down on his inauguration, yet they say nothing to Obama for quadrupling that amount. It is liberal whacko hypocrisy at it's finest.

The thing is, I laughed at first and then the more I thought about it the more I got mad. It shows that the Dems have no desire to make this country better.
You realize that you're totally wrong, don't you? It's so funny to see someone get really worked up about something when they've got the wrong facts.

Bush gathered $40M in private donations. He spent $157M for his 2004 inauguration - basically what Obama is projected to spend, but with only about 1/5th the number of people attending.

Yeah. Obama's actually doing much better than Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
You realize that you're totally wrong, don't you? It's so funny to see someone get really worked up about something when they've got the wrong facts.

Bush gathered $40M in private donations. He spent $157M for his 2004 inauguration - basically what Obama is projected to spend, but with only about 1/5th the number of people attending.

Yeah. Obama's actually doing much better than Bush.
Yes, I actually dug deeper and found that the numbers I initially saw were in fact wrong. I still find it hypocritical that the Democrats were up in arms in 2005 and are just fine today for basically the same costs. And in a major recession too.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Yes, I actually dug deeper and found that the numbers I initially saw were in fact wrong. I still find it hypocritical that the Democrats were up in arms in 2005 and are just fine today for basically the same costs. And in a major recession too.
Up in arms? Because of one AP article and what, four or five opin pieces that didn't really complain or slam the President, but just made a comment about how appropriate it was. That's not up in arms, nor is it outrage. It's a lifted eyebrow.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:30 AM

372 posts, read 849,074 times
I have no problem with 1.5 million people turning out for the ceremony, and I'm sure that they are all happy that their taxpayer dollars are being spent on something that they'll enjoy. I also don't have a problem with his campaign paying for most of the bill, if they've raised the money through donations.

However, if we want to be fiscally responsible, they should baracade off the entrances and charage admission. Even if it's only $10... that's $15 million that can be spent to pay for the extra security, sanition etc, so that FEMA or other government funds aren't needed.

How is it that we can belittle car makers for using private airplanes when their companies are collapsing, and at the same time argue that this "historical moment" justifies the excess spending of tax dollars in this time of need? Wouldn't the historical moment of GM and/or Ford collapsing justify the spending of money on a private jet so that the CEO could prepare himself to speak before congress, rather than sitting behind the steering wheel or crammed into a coach seat with a screaming toddler next to him?

Personally, I would have much rather seen his campaign spend far much less money... say $50 million and donate the other $100 million to the Peace Corps or use it as a real catalyst for change. That would go much further in my eyes to signify change than a three day love fest. I believe that he's missed a historic oppurtunity to signify change from Day 1. Had he said, "This is not the time for great celebrations", and taken his oath in a small affair, nobody from either side could criticize. Had I been Obama, I would have done that, citing that not giving unneeded recognition to the color of my skin will do more for breaking down color barriers, than standing on a mountain top shouting "I'm the first african-american president, come adore me!".

How is it that we can belittle car makers for using private airplanes when their companies are collapsing, and at the same time argue that this "historical moment" justifies the excess spending of tax dollars in this time of need?

On a side note... what do you think they've done with all of the homeless that live in shelters around the mall? I know when the Olympics were in Salt Lake City, they rounded them all up and gave them free bus tickets to Vegas.

Last edited by DasNootz; 01-20-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 10:19 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Well you know the saying... A liberal and his money are soon parted.
I had no idea George W Bush was a liberal.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
How do you tell Americans not to come to the inauguration of their president?
How do you have an inauguration without security, extra police, extra metro personnel, etc. etc.
Instead of false outrage, please provide alternatives for discussion.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
ABC News: What Recession? The $170 Million Inauguration

Where is the outrage from the Left? We know, without a doubt, what they would be saying if a republican were being sworn in.
What is your solution for an inauguration. Instead of your false outrage give solutions.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM

Here's an alternative. Both Woodrow Wilson and William Harding cancelled their balls.

Why not use his popularity for good and ask the 2 million willing to come to DC to honor him by volunteering at home for the day instead of inviting them to watch his oath live. He could have organized a nationwide day of volunteering... think about what good will could have been made, and what projects could have been completed.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM

Monday was the national day for volunteering - he himself worked on a habitat house. Balls are a good idea, but aren't the majority paid for by private funds? I'd only cancel the public ball. I believe he cut the fireworks and not sure what else.

And you really can't tell Americans not to go to an inauguration! This one had the largest crowd of any inauguration.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM

So we're only good for one day of volunteering per year? By a show of hands, how many people volunteered yesterday...? I'm not seeing many hands up.

Why can't you ask people not to come? It doesn't seem very difficult to me. You stand up and say, "I appreciate all of the support, and my family, my administration and I truly appreciate the gravity of the day. As an agent for change, I'm asking you the people to help kick start change from Day 1. Rather than hold a traditional inauguration ceremony full of glitz, glamour and spectacle, I ask that you the citizens of the United States of America honor the day by actively volunteering in your community, rather than coming to DC to celebrate. Our nation is in a moment fiscal peril, and at this time it doesn't appear prudent to hold such massive celebrations."

He could throw in a nice JFK quote "Ask not..." and polish the edges, but I think you get my drift. He could also cancel all balls, and send the private funds that would have been used to charitable organizations around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections