Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:09 PM

372 posts, read 849,620 times

Advertisements

That's the first I've heard of it, so I'll tip my hat to him. If I didn't hear of this, I'm sure many of his 2 million faithful didn't as well.

With that said... my heart and prayers go out to Sen. Kennedy today (co-author of the No Child Left Behind bill).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
Not really. If each person spent $80, you'd come nowhere near in tax revenue what the gov't just spent. You might have spent that much in return for goods and services, but it's not coming back to the gov't coffers. You can argue that the money will circulate many times, but it had to originate from somewhere, and that's the tax payers' wallet. That means we're taking money out of the District, only to hand it back to a select few in the District (bar owners, hotels, hair dressers). You're not producing anything, so overall it will have 0 net impact on the national economy... if anything you'll lose money because people will sell T-shirts and bumper stickers that were made in China.
How much, per your calculations? I don't like to shoot in the dark, so allow me to get an idea.

Besides, and like I said in an earlier post, if we're so much worried about tax dollars, we can more than make up for it by eliminating/reducing massive annual handouts given to likes of Israel. Agreed?

BTW, the idea to stimulate the economy isn't to stimulate government's wallet, but to help businesses grow. Isn't that fundamental to capitalism?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:16 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
Would you rather that we compare Bush's 2001 inauguration to Obama's 2009? We can compare it to Clinton's 1993 if it suits you better.

Was Bush's or Clinton's inaugurations as historically significant as Obama's? Did as many people attend either? You're still struggling with apples and oranges.

As for the money out, money in, thing. Taxes exist for the sole purpose of redistributing money. If this outlay of money results in a recirculation of capital over and over and over again, it serves the purpose well. $150 million paid to security and bathrooms and transportation services, $300 million (2 million people at $150 per is a conservative estimate) put in for sightseers, tourists, reporters, officials and the like, and that $450 million goes round and round a few times, even if there is some leakage to China, it's not a bad financial investment.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 PM

372 posts, read 849,620 times
I just watched the video post that Obama made on Jan. 14. He doesn't ask people to stay home, rather he states that lines will be long, temperatures will be cold and you don't HAVE to come.

I'm so glad he pointed this out, because I was affraid that I was breaking the law by not coming... (said in jest).

On the plus side... he did ask that in the spirit of Martin Luther King Jr's Day that we renew our commitment to serving our community and our country.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Was Bush's or Clinton's inaugurations as historically significant as Obama's? Did as many people attend either? You're still struggling with apples and oranges.

As for the money out, money in, thing. Taxes exist for the sole purpose of redistributing money. If this outlay of money results in a recirculation of capital over and over and over again, it serves the purpose well. $150 million paid to security and bathrooms and transportation services, $300 million (2 million people at $150 per is a conservative estimate) put in for sightseers, tourists, reporters, officials and the like, and that $450 million goes round and round a few times, even if there is some leakage to China, it's not a bad financial investment.
Nice angle, made me realize... I heard on the news that upwards of 2 million are in town. Now lets think about how much money is being pumped into the economy--people paying money in transportation, lodging, souveneirs, that is a nice boost for the local economy and to transportation carriers. If I were a retailer in DC I'd probably be quite happy..

Old 01-20-2009, 02:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
I didn't have the patience to read beyond the first 8 pages. But if it sounds ridiculous that Obama is spending 100 million more than Bush, that's because he isn't.

The $43 million figure oft cited for Bush's 2004 Inauguration does not include the cost of security. What was the cost of security in 2004? $115 Million. Add the $43 Million from the cost of the inaugural itself and the total is $157 million.

So when we compare the numbers honestly, turns out they are roughly similar, despite the much greater public size of Obama's inauguration.

So this is all much ado about nothing. Let's give this a rest until the next dishonest wingnut OUTRAGE!!11!!! pops up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/us.../06donors.html

Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I didn't have the patience to read beyond the first 8 pages. But if it sounds ridiculous that Obama is spending 100 million more than Bush, that's because he isn't.

The $43 million figure oft cited for Bush's 2004 Inauguration does not include the cost of security. What was the cost of security in 2004? $115 Million. Add the $43 Million from the cost of the inaugural itself and the total is $157 million.

So when we compare the numbers honestly, turns out they are roughly similar, despite the much greater public size of Obama's inauguration.

So this is all much ado about nothing. Let's give this a rest until the next dishonest wingnut OUTRAGE!!11!!! pops up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/us.../06donors.html

The New York Times .... aren't they looking for a bailout? They're credible.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM

71 posts, read 306,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
The tapayers are not paying for this and celebrities have helped raise 27 mill for it already.

27 Million that could have gone to ummm lets say BREAST CANCER research, AIDS CURE, CHILDREN growing up in hospitals b/c they have cancer, or numerous other things . People are taking this WAY out of proportion he's black WHO CARES HE IS JUST A MAN!!!!!!!!!! $170 Million dollars is TOO much money for ANY president, man, women, black or white at ANY TIME. No matter WHO is paying for it, it could have gone to A LOT BETTER THINGS.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,111,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
The New York Times .... aren't they looking for a bailout? They're credible.
Brilliant. I haven't spend much time wading through the politics section of this site lately. I almost forgot how ridiculous the majority of the posters are in here. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:37 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,349,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
If he spent too little, someone would say that it was done in poor taste and underlines the pathetic nature of his presidency. Somehow, people find a way to complain no matter how much or how little is spent. Nothing but nits from you who are suffer from sour grapes.

The inauguration of the first BLACK president is PRICELESS!

I might add here that George Bush wasted a TRILLION DOLLARS doing his best to mimic the failures of Vietnam. Now there's a man who learns nothing from history, a complete imbecile. A TRILLION DOLLARS and millions of live negatively impacted, thousands of innocent lives ended, thousands maimed, crippled, psychologically ruined for life. Focus on this.
What about the THOUSANDS OF LIVES THAT WERE LOST ON 9/11?
Wake up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections