Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,138 times

Advertisements

The tapayers are not paying for this and celebrities have helped raise 27 mill for it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
The tapayers are not paying for this and celebrities have helped raise 27 mill for it already.
Yeah, dammit and even Will Smith is gonna play the BO part in a movie about BO. Course, I'm no fan of Will Smith so I'm sure it's gonna stink.

So the big do has to be done up BIG for the movie. Hmmm. Wonder whose gonna get the rights to the book.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the District is gonna pay for security. What's this got to do with taxpayers. DC is a 'Taxation without representation' town.

Quote:
The emergency declaration -- based on crowd projections, not the weather -- came less than a week after D.C. Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) asked for the aid, citing estimates of 1.5 million to 2 million people expected to attend, according to a Bush administration spokesman. The city has projected its tab for the inauguration at $47 million, about three times as much as Congress has given the District.

"The [Fenty] administration is pleased that the White House has supported our request," said Mafara Hobson, a spokeswoman for the mayor.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:48 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Although I do think it IS wasteful spending, it does also mark the first black president in our history BUT that is little excuse in this economy when people are losing jobs and homes. However, I do believe that the bulk of the money that is used is not too "wasteful" because it is used to protect the attendees from mayhem and destruction. I think everyone has a right to attend the inauguration and it doesn't matter if you like the new president or not (I don't). With huge numbers predicted to come to the inauguration, I think the responsible thing is to have a huge police force to ensure it doesn't get out of hand. Since it is a public event for the government, the government should foot the bill (i.e. taxpayers). I have no problem with it but it is wasteful only because so many people are attending and most of them are troublemakers (i.e. liberals)... so you see, you NEED a large police force... not just to protect other people but to protect the city from these troublemakers...

Old 01-15-2009, 08:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because American TAX PAYERS are flocking to DC to see a historical inauguration. If the police didn't provide adequate security and protection, then people would be screaming about that (like when the man was trampled at Wal-Mart on Black Friday). Dam**d if he does, dam**d if he doesn't.
Did I say there was anything wrong with it? And Wal Mart is private property, the police have no business there unless called.

Last edited by Houston3; 01-15-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:52 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
That's for private parties that you and I are not invited to. Well, at least I haven't been invited, Yet. How about you?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I do believe that the bulk of the money that is used is not too "wasteful" because it is used to protect the attendees from mayhem and destruction
You mean to protect them from each other? Remember, regardless of what the Supreme Courst says... NO GUNS ALLOWED

Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
I don't know whether it's a 'mistake' or not, but it sure is inexcusable given our economic situation. And what appalls me even more is that evidently much of it is being funded by banks who want Obama to look faborably on them and hand them more money.

Well, last I looked it was taxpayer money that was forked over to the very banks who are funding this extravagant and unnecessary inauguration debacle.

And where's the media outrage????!!! Where are all the pundits in the media who were so outraged about Bush's inauguration expense around $40 million? Yet they somehow feel this is 'historical' and therefore worth the an additional $1 million???

I don't get it. I've wiggled it around in my mind and no matter how I twist it, I just don't get it. I remember Obama said he wanted to make it more low key because of the economic situation and he didn't want the American people to see the inauguration as extravagant.

So I'm wondering .... what would be extravagant in Obama's mind????
The best we can do is boycotting the media outlets who aren't reporting this and who are supporting and kissing up to him and being biased....that will learn them to be fair and balanced!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
The actual cost of the inauguration may not reach 150M. OTOH the final cost may well exceed 150M. It won't be Obama's fault either way. Blame an entrenched system of Capitalism that bids up the price of goods and/or services when there is a perceived 'uniqueness' to the event. Bush's inauguration cost 40M because, well, there just wasn't anything special about a white male becoming the 42nd(?) president of the U.S. As noted this is something very different. McCain tried to cancel the Republican Convention because it was perhaps not the most festive time on earth with disasters taking place in Texas and Louisiana. He was roundly defeated. Obama could not cancel his Inauguration if he wanted to and he cannot set the prices charged by security, food services, etc. And there really is not need for the bold type and histrionics. Sheesh.

H

Old 01-15-2009, 10:02 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The right-wing would starve to death without its daily dose of spin...
What did they say in 2005 for George W Bush's inaugural?

the Associated Press in 2005, the reporter Will Lester. This is a January 13th AP dispatch:
"President Bush's second inauguration will cost tens of millions of dollars -- $40 million alone in private donations for the balls, parade and other invitation-only parties.
With that kind of money, what could you buy?
Two hundred armored Humvees with the best armor for troops in Iraq; vaccinations and preventive health care for 22 million children in regions devastated by the tsunami; a down payment on the nation's deficit, which hit a record-breaking $412 billion last year."

Inaugural to Cost $150 Million | Cactusthorns

The questions have come from Bush supporters and opponents: Do we need to spend this money on what seems so extravagant?

New York Rep. Anthony Weiner, a Democrat, suggested inaugural parties should be scaled back, citing as a precedent Franklin D. Roosevelt's inauguration during World War II.

"President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake," according to a letter from Weiner and Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash. "During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified."

Lawmakers representing the Washington area have complained to the White House about the District of Columbia not getting enough federal help to cover the city's portion of the inaugural security costs, estimated at $17.3 million.

Cuban
"As a country, we face huge deficits. We face a declining economy. We have service people dying.

The Neil Rogers Show - News - Better Uses for Money Wasted on a Second-Term Inaugural
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections