Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,600,026 times

Advertisements

bet that money is making some jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,461,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The actual cost of the inauguration may not reach 150M. OTOH the final cost may well exceed 150M. It won't be Obama's fault either way. Blame an entrenched system of Capitalism that bids up the price of goods and/or services when there is a perceived 'uniqueness' to the event. Bush's inauguration cost 40M because, well, there just wasn't anything special about a white male becoming the 42nd(?) president of the U.S. As noted this is something very different. McCain tried to cancel the Republican Convention because it was perhaps not the most festive time on earth with disasters taking place in Texas and Louisiana. He was roundly defeated. Obama could not cancel his Inauguration if he wanted to and he cannot set the prices charged by security, food services, etc. And there really is not need for the bold type and histrionics. Sheesh.

H
Funny Bill Clinton's 2nd cost more than Bush's
I see a pattern Dem's spending always MORE!

But a review of the cost for past inaugurations shows Mr. Bush's will cost less than President Clinton's second inauguration in 1997, which cost about $42 million.

When the cost is adjusted for inflation, Mr. Clinton's second-term celebration exceeds Mr. Bush's by about 25 percent.

According to the Consumer Price Index, $42 million in 1997 is the equivalent of $49.5 in 2004.

Inaugural price tag in line with history -

Old 01-15-2009, 10:27 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Obama is not even in office yet and his first BIG mistake is his poor example of spending $150 MILLION on the inauguration during the worst financial crises in my lifetime.

Even if others set the cost, step up Obama and make it right!

OK Bush spent $40 million and that’s outrageous but $150 MILLION? and don’t throw the “things have gone up garbage either.

Politics as usually Obama, the only change that will take place is the change in your pocket you'll have to give to him.

I hope to Buddha he realizes he's the first black president to have the opportunity to make African American’s proud and prove everyone wrong and all Americans as far as that goes.

But $150 MILLION, not now Obama, what will you do next to angry the American public that if you get that high in the political circle you have to be corrupt considering you pick the wrong person for secretary of the treasury that didn’t pay his taxes for YEARS!

I truly hope I’m wrong but come on people use common sense would you be a better steward of your money then this outrageous spending
Not $150 MILLION what’s next Obama ?
They could spend 50 billion and Obama supporters wouldn't care. They're so oblivious to the world around them.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM

932 posts, read 1,678,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That's for private parties that you and I are not invited to. Well, at least I haven't been invited, Yet. How about you?
Yep Saturday night I will be at the Vibe Magazine party at Ibiza Nightclub on First St. Washington DC.

You should come.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 AM

37,176 posts, read 19,251,449 times
Originally Posted by cuebald
So -

Now you're complaining that he's stimulating the economy? OY!

The economy sucks because no one is spending money any more. Obama is trying to set the example for America.

Quit kvetching and go buy yourself a nice dinner, a GMC truck, and a flat screen TV. You'll feel better and so will America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Are you really that dumb? We (both the Federal Government and many individuals and families) are in this mess BECAUSE we borrowed and spent money we didn't have. Not only did we borrow and spend money we didn't have, but we spent it towards CONSUMPTION and not production. As a result, we're broke AND have nothing to show for it (that can generate revenues and output).
I quite possibly may be dumb, but I don't recall having to stoop to calling anyone dumb in a debate to try to make a point since I was in about the sixth grade. You win. Enjoy it.

If you are so concerned, why don't you send a small donation to defray the cost of the inauguration. I'm certain it would be appreciated.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 AM

27,217 posts, read 46,791,599 times
Why would any one be so stupid to give Obama any money or spent money on items with his face on it, unless you really can afford it, and spend it with money of your self...no bailout bank money or people who later want a stimilus check....

This whole campaign is ridiculous and the only reason Obama won is because the economy is bad....
The inauguration costs and the interior designer hired to redo the interior of the White House is so absurd in an economy as we have right now.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,414,660 times
He's the "first black president" so we have to spent hundreds of millions on a street party that's going to cause more grief than anything else.

Buh, buh, buh, I thought we're in a "post-racial" presidency now? I thought race doesn't matter.

But once again, it's clear that race does matter. It's the only reason this guy was elected by a bunch of shallow fuzzy feel-gooders.

Bah. Have fun.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
bet that money is making some jobs
You mean that entrenched system of capitalism is like making some jobs? Don't tell Leisesturm.

Quote:
It won't be Obama's fault either way. Blame an entrenched system of Capitalism that bids up the price of goods and/or services when there is a perceived 'uniqueness' to the event.
Heh

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,600,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
It's the only reason this guy was elected by a bunch of shallow fuzzy feel-gooders
i guess theres more "shallow fuzzy feel-gooders" then racists and bible thumpers in this country

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,237,863 times
Obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections