Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,261,442 times

Advertisements

As long as the celebs are paying for their own celebration who cares. I believe the Obama's are sponsoring a first ever veteran's ball and the neighborhood ball. I'd much rather watch the beautiful people than ever have to listen to bush again.
Clip:
While the Obamas may be the biggest celebrities of the evening, they are not the only ones. Adrian Grenier, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Anne Hathaway, Spike Lee, Susan Sarandon and Kerry Washington will all be at the inaugural gala sponsored by the Creative Coalition, an arts and entertainment advocacy group.
Apparently, Sting thought the party was worth stopping by. He offered to perform and will be a headliner along with Elvis Costello and Sam Moore. He will also perform at the Huffington Post’s gala on Monday night.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/18/we...w/18balls.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

And W H O got it that way?????????.
Well you know George Bush had NOTHING to do with it!
He was only in power for 8 years and is innocent of everything, after all he is
the soon to be former Messiah.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,339,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not annoyed at all. It's a time for celebration, so celebrate. Unless you're a poor loser, whose idiot candidates lost.
Remember, Obama carried the 'poor losers' by a VERY wide margin!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:12 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
No, I'm simply poor with a son in college who's trying to move Heaven and Earth to remain there. So, sorry, if we can't take solace in glitzy celebrity gowns and a whole bunch of frivolous spending. It seems VERY tacky when our country is in a world of hurt.
A lot of folks would agree with you. With so much of the theme today having been the common and ordinary folk this does seem contradictory.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,202,406 times
Quote:
Or is it just me who wishes the celebs would tend to their various dysfunctions and not commandeer the Inauguration? I don't recall it being this bad in previous years. The celebs were pretty hoo-haw Clinton but I don't think there were several celebrity-driven balls.

It's a pretty stark contrast when you watch the network news, hear about all of the job losses and retail closings then see a commercial for Celeb-fest, featuring a dancing Obama.

Actually yes, but it just doesn't begin or end with this Obama inauguration.

Our entire culture is now steeped in celebrity-hero-sports worship to the point it is mind numbing. We treat our Presidential elections as though it were a game show with a never ending series of partisan debates designed to illicit zinger lines and usually avoid tough and controversial issues facing our country.

While we spend countless dollars and billions of collective hours sitting in front of the tube melting what is left of our porous spongy brains and using money we haven't yet earned to watch football, nascar, etc... there is some guy sitting in a lab somewhere developing a cure for some disease that may help millions of people and he does it for less than a Congressional aid makes. If he succeeds, he gets a golf clap, a pat on the back and a silver plated commemorative plate set and then forgotten about.

So the Obama Fest of all, we have finally put the finishing touches on where U2's world wide concert meets the Griswalds, now pass the dorito's.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,124,736 times
Quote:
No, I'm simply poor with a son in college who's trying to move Heaven and Earth to remain there. So, sorry, if we can't take solace in glitzy celebrity gowns and a whole bunch of frivolous spending. It seems VERY tacky when our country is in a world of hurt.

boooooooooo-whooooooooooooo --

Welcome to the real world.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:46 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not annoyed at all. It's a time for celebration, so celebrate. Unless you're a poor loser, whose idiot candidates lost.
Celebrate? Economically 2009 is going to be exponentially worse than 2008. You may want to hold on to the party favors for now.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,020,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A lot of folks would agree with you. With so much of the theme today having been the common and ordinary folk this does seem contradictory.
I think it does. Most folks I know are pretty somber right now. I'm not saying the Inauguration has to be somber, but you'd think they'd at least recognize that the nation is hurting and all of this glitz is pretty tacky. Pomp and circumstance, dignified proceedings, sure. Putting the celebs on parade, no.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Actually yes, but it just doesn't begin or end with this Obama inauguration.

Our entire culture is now steeped in celebrity-hero-sports worship to the point it is mind numbing. We treat our Presidential elections as though it were a game show with a never ending series of partisan debates designed to illicit zinger lines and usually avoid tough and controversial issues facing our country.

While we spend countless dollars and billions of collective hours sitting in front of the tube melting what is left of our porous spongy brains and using money we haven't yet earned to watch football, nascar, etc... there is some guy sitting in a lab somewhere developing a cure for some disease that may help millions of people and he does it for less than a Congressional aid makes. If he succeeds, he gets a golf clap, a pat on the back and a silver plated commemorative plate set and then forgotten about.

So the Obama Fest of all, we have finally put the finishing touches on where U2's world wide concert meets the Griswalds, now pass the dorito's.
Yep, I agree with you. It's really sad. Nothing is realistic or dignified anymore. I reread Brave New World recently and dang if it isn't coming true.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If it's annoying you, maybe you should turn off the tv and stop reading a forum dedicated to talking about the election. Take a walk. Read a book. Play a game. Do some exercise. Bake cookies (but maybe not Obama cookies, lol).
Um, I know I've said it at least a few times here but I CAN'T walk. I'm disabled. But, of course, you knew that and figured you could have fun with it. Pretty sick, but typical. No wonder you're such a fan of Joe Biden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections