Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I disagree on this aspect for two reasons. Those who insist on a public apology from white people benefit in this manner:

1. An apology implies guilt, and enables the propagation of the victim mentality. This allows people to lean on society and complain that they can't get ahead because whitey won't let them, so there's no use trying. It's a vicious cycle. It takes effort to break the cycle and as long as we have an excuse not to exert ourselves, why bother?

2. Potentially set themselves up for some sort of "reparations" in the future, perhaps under the administration of a sympathetic president (even though his ancestors were not slaves).
Fair enough.

Let me clarify.

It does them no REAL good.

I don't see how providing excuse-makers with more excuses does them any real good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Ah, keyword "real" lol!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
I disagree on this aspect for two reasons. Those who insist on a public apology from white people benefit in this manner:

1. An apology implies guilt, and enables the propagation of the victim mentality. This allows people to lean on society and complain that they can't get ahead because whitey won't let them, so there's no use trying. It's a vicious cycle. It takes effort to break the cycle and as long as we have an excuse not to exert ourselves, why bother?

2. Potentially set themselves up for some sort of "reparations" in the future, perhaps under the administration of a sympathetic president (even though his ancestors were not slaves).
Lol. He told the NAACP clearly, I believe twice, that neither reparations nor an apology are forthcoming.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I'll confess, I don't post in here and I don't even read in here but as I am confined to my hospital bed this morning watching all of the tv coverage of the inauguration it popped into my head: all of the race stuff surrounding Obama focuses on one half of his heritage. I think the fact that he is of both races is to be celebrated; not one race more than the other. I do understand the significance of someone with African American heritage to make it to the office.

I just wondered what else everyone thinks about this? I am not looking for an argument, just your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
I hope you are working in the hospital and not there for an illness.
I think he chose to be only Black. He doesn't seem to like white people. He would have to tell us why.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Ah, keyword "real" lol!
Right. It's like telling your 3-year old to apologize to his little brother for hitting him. Even if he says, "I'm sorry" it means absolutely nothing - and everybody involved knows it.

I have absolutely no reason to apologize to any black for slavery in America. I wasn't involved. Neither were they. What I need to do is treat them as fellow human beings, and as friends -because that is what they are.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I hope you are working in the hospital and not there for an illness.
I think he chose to be only Black. He doesn't seem to like white people. He would have to tell us why.
I've gotta say, I'm just not picking up that vibe from Obama.

What gives you that impression?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:07 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
His radical associations do it for me...off the top of my head,
Wright.
Ferrukhan.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And speaking of race, to my knowledge, the Federal government has never even formally apologized to African Americans for the injustices of slavery.
Perhaps you might be interested in what the incoming President says on the issue of reparation's:

Obama Opposes Slavery Reparations

OBTW - no aplogize is necessary

Old 01-19-2009, 09:22 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
To demand that people who have never committed the atrocity, apologize to people who were never victims of the atrocity, is LUDICROUS and a terrible waste of time.
If you are white - and it seems you are, since you feel victimized by the celebration of a black man's inauguration - you have benefitted greatly from the racism practiced in this country. You have never had to wonder if you were paying a higher interest rate for a home loan. You have never had to wonder if your resume was thrown in the trash can because the name looked "too black." You have benefitted in many ways.

A decent person would acknowledge that much, and a smart person would realize that it's not enough to apologize. We need to do what we can to end institutional racism and to promote a level playing field.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Perhaps you might be interested in what the incoming President says on the issue of reparation's:

Obama Opposes Slavery Reparations

OBTW - no aplogize is necessary
Where did I mention "reparations"? You're off topic if you are posting to me about reparations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections