Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,223,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
PS - I suppose that a White History month would at least get a month with at least 30 days.
Are you complaining because Black History month is the shortest month of the year? Do you think it's some conspiracy or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,656,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>Caucasians don't have heritage to celebrate, silly.<

BO has ancestors:
Edward I, King of England
William the Lion, King of Scotland

NOONE of any significant importance at all!
Are you telling me I am kin to Obama. You are joking, right? Who told you that?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,483,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'll never understand why white people are so hung up on "race", now we have to be angry that minorities celebrate their ethnic backgrounds?

I would LOVE to see "white history" celebrated more often, let's remember slavery and the genocide of Native Americans as our first foray into "White History Month", whaddya think?
Nice

Old 01-19-2009, 06:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,483,349 times
Theses threads get more insane by the day!! Now white folks (on CD) want "white day"..LOL!!! They want Obama to recognize his "white" side while using his name "especially the middle" against him? Are you kidding me? Are whites ( on CD) feeling left out or something? On one of the few occassions in American History when African-Americans can stand up and enjoy themselves and embrace a leader who shares there ethnic background, white's (on this board) want some face time. You've had about 500+ years to bask in your own glory so back up and give us our day or two. It wont hurt. Join in with us, most whites, greens, browns and whatever race of people in this country have because this election has been an inspiration to all. And to the OP, you can never ever ever use the term "playing the race card". You played it out with this thread.

I hope everybody enjoys the the ceremony tommorrow. I just returned from the steps of the Capitol and the atmosphere is FANTASTIC. People from all walks of life braving the cold to grasp a little bit of history. I will remember today and tommorrow forever.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:46 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,306,114 times
I tell you, everyday I discover how this country is basically one big kindergarten. The kids are teasing, the others have toys and the others are jealous about said toys, etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
People from all walks of life braving the cold to grasp a little bit of history. I will remember today and tommorrow forever.
Im witness to it too..I've seen so many different types of people sharing in the excitement.

The posters on CD who in their mind can't believe that all kinds of people supported Obama, would never believe the scene here in DC if they saw it with their own 2 eyes

Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,725,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I'll confess, I don't post in here and I don't even read in here but as I am confined to my hospital bed this morning watching all of the tv coverage of the inauguration it popped into my head: all of the race stuff surrounding Obama focuses on one half of his heritage. I think the fact that he is of both races is to be celebrated; not one race more than the other. I do understand the significance of someone with African American heritage to make it to the office.

I just wondered what else everyone thinks about this? I am not looking for an argument, just your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Just wait until he does something that displeases the black community... then there will be all sorts of uproar... "Ohhhh this is because of the upbringing with those white grandparents of his..." or "Thats the white in him coming out...", etc.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,712,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
If your ancestors were whipped, beaten, sold and murdered, you'd probably at least like it formally recognized as being wrong with an apology, and would like closure to whatever degree such an admittance would provide (probably little)

I'm fairly certain that since most of us came from European stock we at one point had ancestors that were whipped, beaten, sold and murdered.

I would not suggest we ignore wrong-doing, but at some point all have to move on, or shall I find that post from someone else about fellow African tribes selling rivals in to slavery - which was already in practice...

Wrong is wrong, period.

First Nations - I'm with you completely.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 PM

38,648 posts, read 26,418,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I think that my African American uncle who did the programing for the Saturn IV booster might take offense at "whites" taking credit for putting a man on the moon.
We'll be sure to mention his contribution on "This Day In White History".

Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,611,113 times
Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Well, in a sense, every day in America is white people's day. There's no reason to celebrate a white person being elected - it's not do to that white person overcoming tremendous barriers that have kept white people down.

And any pathetic commenter who whimpers about how they'll be called racists if they say that it's unfair that Obama's white race can't be celebrated, or that they'll be called a racist just for proposing that, is nothing but a damn fool.
Nice post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections