Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times

Advertisements

The party's over... time to get to work...

But first, a few seconds to reflect. Yesterday was a good day, I think it went very well indeed. Things went smoothly, and more importantly a huge amount of electricity and energy was sparked in the crowd. My houseguests came home inspired and ready to set the world on fire. I sure hope their momentum lasts, it's what we need in this world.

They met so many people yesterday, in many ways it became a networking event. I guess you get close to people when you're standing right next to them for half a day. They took a lot of photos just of random people in the crowd, and they tried to get names with them--because there was a sense that future leaders were probably there. Some high school kid simply enjoying the day yesterday may end up being a governor or a senator or a president.

The most notable moment was, naturally, the oath and Obama's speech. But what made it especially awe-inspiring was that the noisy crowd of 2 million suddenly hushed. When the oath was given you could hear a pin drop. Pretty amazing for a crowd that size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 AM

More reflections from yesterday: We had our own "neighborhood ball" in my neighborhood. Just a little party, but we had fun--Beyonce didn't show up for ours, but we had her on tv.

It turned out to be a really fun party because the phones kept ringing with calls from the kids wanting to be picked up at the Metro station. They came home in 3 groups, and when each group came home and then came over to the neighborhood party it was like the party suddenly got amped up again.

The kids were so lit up from going downtown yesterday. I'm thrilled to see them this excited about politics. I really hope this is the beginning of something good.

They had so many stories to tell--some about the people they met, some just stories they read in the paper while waiting for the event to get started. I had some amazing conversations with my neighbor's kids last night. For once they were interested in something besides high school issues. That, right there, made the night special for me.

Also, I must say I looked pretty good in my "inaugural gown." OK, it was just a sequined outfit I wore on a cruise last year, but it felt nice to have a reason to dress up, and I must say I looked fine.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 AM

By the way, more than 940,000 rode Metro yesterday. All time new record, and for the most part it went smoothly. Bravo, DC metro system, and job well done.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:41 AM

Just wondering--who went to the national mall yesterday? Who went to a gathering to watch it, or maybe some sort of party?

How was it?

Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,055,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
More reflections from yesterday: We had our own "neighborhood ball" in my neighborhood. Just a little party, but we had fun--Beyonce didn't show up for ours, but we had her on tv.

It turned out to be a really fun party because the phones kept ringing with calls from the kids wanting to be picked up at the Metro station. They came home in 3 groups, and when each group came home and then came over to the neighborhood party it was like the party suddenly got amped up again.

The kids were so lit up from going downtown yesterday. I'm thrilled to see them this excited about politics. I really hope this is the beginning of something good.

They had so many stories to tell--some about the people they met, some just stories they read in the paper while waiting for the event to get started. I had some amazing conversations with my neighbor's kids last night. For once they were interested in something besides high school issues. That, right there, made the night special for me.

Also, I must say I looked pretty good in my "inaugural gown." OK, it was just a sequined outfit I wore on a cruise last year, but it felt nice to have a reason to dress up, and I must say I looked fine.
You know what, normie? I wish I had been there. That sounds awesome. Did all this really happen? What fun! You guys are a trip.

Why didn't you invite me...

Oh well. You can invite me to the Obama/Biden re-election party in 2012!

Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You know what, normie? I wish I had been there. That sounds awesome. Did all this really happen? What fun! You guys are a trip.

Why didn't you invite me...

Oh well. You can invite me to the Obama/Biden re-election party in 2012!
You know, four years from now if we're all still chatting on this forum I just might make it a city-data party. Bring your sleeping bag, and I'll bake cookies. 'Cause DC (and NOVA) was the place to be yesterday, I kinda wish more of my friends had the chance to experience it.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,449,918 times
Normie,
wish I had been there yesterday. We lived in a DC suburb from 2000 to 2008 (end of the green metro line), unfortunately we missed this great event! Many of our friends were there and wrote about the great vibe and how people connected to total strangers!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-21-2009, 10:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,205,643 times
Quote:
The party's over... time to get to work...

But first, a few seconds to reflect. Yesterday was a good day, I think it went very well indeed. Things went smoothly, and more importantly a huge amount of electricity and energy was sparked in the crowd. My houseguests came home inspired and ready to set the world on fire. I sure hope their momentum lasts, it's what we need in this world.

They met so many people yesterday, in many ways it became a networking event. I guess you get close to people when you're standing right next to them for half a day. They took a lot of photos just of random people in the crowd, and they tried to get names with them--because there was a sense that future leaders were probably there. Some high school kid simply enjoying the day yesterday may end up being a governor or a senator or a president.

The most notable moment was, naturally, the oath and Obama's speech. But what made it especially awe-inspiring was that the noisy crowd of 2 million suddenly hushed. When the oath was given you could hear a pin drop. Pretty amazing for a crowd that size.
Great post.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,103,220 times
Quote:
Just wondering--who went to the national mall yesterday? Who went to a gathering to watch it, or maybe some sort of party?

How was it?
I was down on the mall, it was just unbelievable, amazing. I wish Sarah Palin had been there so that she could actually see what Real Americaâ„¢ looks like, black, brown, red, yellow, white, young, old, male, female, rich and poor. It was simply a beautiful experience. Even being stuck in a crowd so thick, that it covered every street north of the mall for building to building, where we walked in baby steps for 6 blocks because of the crush of humanity and where not one word of anger or frustration could be heard, just a shared fellowship as Americans. I have neither experienced or seen anything like it.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,740,457 times
Quote:
You know, four years from now if we're all still chatting on this forum I just might make it a city-data party. Bring your sleeping bag, and I'll bake cookies. 'Cause DC (and NOVA) was the place to be yesterday, I kinda wish more of my friends had the chance to experience it.
Put me on the list! I would have loved to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections