Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,149,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
ovcatto, I feel these boards are safe with you on watch. Great find.
I wonder if ovcatto is a school man. That is one of the cases we studied in every school law class I took. I should have thought of it. Ovcatto, your brain must still be working. Mine is fried--and getting worse by the minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks for saying that. BTW, I have to say, I have no problem per se with a kid wearing an Obama shirt, and I do think the principal backed himself into a corner.
Sorry, Katiana, Tinker vs. Des Moines applies to all speech, not just armbands.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,634,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Any political themed clothes are not appropriate for school.
I agree, especially since most kids in school are under 18, it seems rather pointless to show support of someone you CANT even vote on....that is unless ACORN is involved!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
http://www.naesp.org/resources/2/Pri...004/S-Op54.pdf

1. Be certain that administrative actions are based on
well-developed and legally defensible school or district
policies. If policies are not defensible and result in
infringement on students’ personal freedoms, it is
unlikely they will receive favorable support by the
courts when challenged by students and parents.

The above is from the National Association of Secondary School Principals and is a bible for secondary principals. There is also an elementary association. Sometimes policies that are not defensible in court are ignored if the kid has parents who the principal thinks will challenge him.
WEre you a school person too?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM

88 posts, read 179,655 times
I work in a high school and NO slogans are permitted on any clothing except if it's the brand of clothing it is... ie: Hollister, Old Navy, etc. It's there to protect the students from other students and offences.

Every day kids sit in ISS because they want to be rebels and wear an IronMaiden shirt or whatever to break the rules. An Obama shirt is no different. Some may or may not agree... but it is the rule and we must follow rules, and teach our children to do the same.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I was thinking the same thing! He seems to know his stuff regarding this issue.

BTW, my high school had a rule that one could not wear t-shirts w/o writing on them (this was back in the late 60s, they didn't want people wearing underwear). My brother, rebel that he was, showed up in a shirt that said "Budweiser, Breakfast of Champions". He was not disciplined in any way. I doubt his situation would be handled the same now. I have heard of kids having to turn their t-shirts inside out b/c they had inappropriate language on them.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,956,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
I work in a high school and NO slogans are permitted on any clothing except if it's the brand of clothing it is... ie: Hollister, Old Navy, etc. It's there to protect the students from other students and offences.

Every day kids sit in ISS because they want to be rebels and wear an IronMaiden shirt or whatever to break the rules. An Obama shirt is no different. Some may or may not agree... but it is the rule and we must follow rules, and teach our children to do the same.
Well that's the south for you. They're a lot more strict down there. Up north they seem to be a lot more lenient.

So they're not allowed to wear an Obama shirt now? Even since he's President?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missncr View Post
I side with the principal. In my opinion I think all schools, public and private, should require school uniforms.
Public? Sure, why not? Private? I'd say that's up to the school, isn't it?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,968,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post

Your school district is obviously a different case. The school district where the kid wanted to wear the Obama shirt does not have rules like that. I hope you see the difference.

And your district might as well switch to uniforms, too. What a dumb rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well that's the south for you. They're a lot more strict down there. Up north they seem to be a lot more lenient.

So they're not allowed to wear an Obama shirt now? Even since he's President?
Uh, I wouldn't go that far. The schools I have been at down here (Texas) have pretty easy to follow dress codes. No big holes in jeans, girls skirts can't be shorter than two or so inches off the ground when they kneel, no naked people on clothes, etc.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,071,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I will only say I have professional experience to know this inside out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections