Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:46 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,536,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Excellent points!
The "excellent points" are whining that one shouldn't be required to do the hard work of learning how one's govenment operates or of paying attention sufficiently to know what the words and actions flying by in a real-time news cycle might actually mean.

What standard of judgment is left to those who don't invest in developing one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:51 PM

89,513 posts, read 45,181,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The "excellent points" are whining that one shouldn't be required to do the hard work of learning how one's govenment operates or of paying attention sufficiently to know what the words and actions flying by in a real-time news cycle might actually mean.
That's not how I read it. People are aware of more than you give them credit for.

Quote:
What standard of judgment is left to those who don't invest in developing one?
Maybe you can tell us.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:20 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,536,538 times
Quote:
That's not how I read it. People are aware of more than you give them credit for.
I give them credit for the level of awareness that they can demonstrate. When all that amounts to is an awareness of topics taken straight out of the right-wing disinformation media, I am not very much impressed.

Quote:
Maybe you can tell us.
Well, I have resorted to the hard work and attention paying that I spoke of earlier. Not that either one in practice is all that difficult. On the other hand, people who refuse to know will not know. They will end in being taken for a ride by the propaganda purveyors...

Old 04-12-2009, 03:31 PM

1,137 posts, read 3,364,203 times
Default Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Please give links.
Not One Person in Congress Read the 1,100 Pages You guys on this thread don't have a clue and will be stunned when we all get to pay this money back through much higher taxes.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,620,737 times
Quote:
Hmmm... the audacity of hope and namecalling... how noble.
Sour graoes from sore losers... Yawnnnnn,,,

Old 04-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I give them credit for the level of awareness that they can demonstrate.
In your opinion, which is not shared by all.

Quote:
Well, I have resorted to the hard work and attention paying that I spoke of earlier.
In your opinion, which - again - is not shared by all.

Quote:
Not that either one in practice is all that difficult. On the other hand, people who refuse to know will not know. They will end in being taken for a ride by the propaganda purveyors...
We'll see who 'they' are, in the end.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Sour graoes from sore losers... Yawnnnnn,,,
Do you honestly think this is about who won or who lost the election? Some didn't like either of the two major candidates. A lot of people are sick of having no real chance of having anyone other than an R or a D for President or in Congress (yes, there are a handful that are not R or D - but not enough for meaningful counterbalance to the elephant and donkey circus we now have).

Old 04-12-2009, 06:34 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,589,410 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think this is about who won or who lost the election? Some didn't like either of the two major candidates. A lot of people are sick of having no real chance of having anyone other than an R or a D for President or in Congress (yes, there are a handful that are not R or D - but not enough for meaningful counterbalance to the elephant and donkey circus we now have).
I agree with you - we badly need a credible third party... neither the Dems nor the Republicans will reform much if they maintain their lock grip on the political process.

For your info - I voted for Ross Perot in '92 - I thought he had a realistic shot at the White House - the best for any 3rd party in my lifetime - and only wish he had won...

Old 04-12-2009, 07:45 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,307,956 times
NO one read it! The Dems even said they didn't read it. No one got it until late the night before. Obama was in bed by the time they were done printing it. We know Dodds didn't read it, even though he was adding things up til the very end.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,077,699 times
Quote:
Great...question away. But when people wander off into absurd beliefs that there somehow wasn't time for a bill that was months in development and weeks in debate to be read and understood by Members of Congress, they have left this planet and travelled to a new one. There is nothing of substance to be gained in accomplishing that journey...
The stimulus bill was released at 12 mid nite the night before and voted on at 9:00am the next day. It was not debated except for in goals ;not specifics. The democrats controlled the debate time and the time it went to the floor by limiting the debate.It was hundreds of pages long which is why even democrats didn't noitce the Dodd insertion because it was done after the few senators that drafted it had gone.Where have you been? You maybe getting the budget mixed up wirh the stimulus is my guess;if so thank god you weren;t voting on either. But I agree with you why was the presidient and democratic congress in such a hurry?I think alot of democrtic snenator as witnessed in the committeee meeting on the budget didn't like the end result and were it left them hanging.The democrat leader of the budget committee even said he agreed that the senate is a place where things are debated and the tradition was ignored by the leadership.The house is another animal all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections