Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,991,164 times

Advertisements

Here is the American Recovery And Reinvestment Act of 2009.

It is a PDF file, which I found by going to the Recovery.gov website.

Since it is available online, anyone can access it from any computer with internet service.

It is 407 pages long.

We currently have approximately 40 Republican Senators.

If they had divided up the reading, each Senator would have to read approximately 10 pages, take notes, and then review it with their fellow Republicans.

The question is ... what were these Republican Senators doing at that time which prevented them from completing such a simple task involving such an important issue?

All I ever heard was excuses ... such as ... we didn't have time to read it.

Well .... how long does it take to read 10 pages ? About 30 minutes?

Hey Republicans .... you are the ones who voted for these men and women to represent you in government !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,842,852 times
They were watching Faux News and listening to Rush Limbaugh, to come up with talking points and taking notes of key words they would ultimately use to be the obstructionists they are, befitting the party they represent: The Grand Old Pity.

But hey, that is all they need, to get enough sheeple to go drum beating for them.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,611,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Since it is available online, anyone can access it from any computer with internet service.

It is 407 pages long.

If they had divided up the reading, each Senator would have to read approximately 10 pages, take notes, and then review it with their fellow Republicans.

The question is ... what were these Republican Senators doing at that time which prevented them from completing such a simple task involving such an important issue?

Hey Republicans .... you are the ones who voted for these men and women to represent you in government !!!
They were busy....

It is rather embarrassing to continually hear elected officials tell us they didn't read the bills that are signed into law and affect everyone's lives.

Last edited by walidm; 02-26-2009 at 05:11 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,585,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They were watching Faux News and listening to Rush Limbaugh, to come up with talking points and taking notes of key words they would ultimately use to be the obstructionists they are, befitting the party they represent: The Grand Old Pity.

But hey, that is all they need, to get enough sheeple to go drum beating for them.
You're absolutely spot on!!!

They don't care what is in the bill - other than things they can use as 'pork barrel spending' soundbites...

They just oppose all that Obama is trying to do to fix the mess that THEY left him to deal with...

He will succeed in spite of them - and then they will truly be toast for generations to come...

Last edited by mrbob; 02-26-2009 at 05:50 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,929,382 times
Obama's 2009 Stimulus Plan - Why Didn't The Republicans Read It?

Why didn't the Dems read it?

Old 02-26-2009, 06:27 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,785,522 times
I never understood that either, and you know there were even a couple of Dems who complained about the length too, right?

I'll admit that 400+ pages is just stupid, but still, 20 people can read 20 pages each, create bullet points and highlights, and then merge them all into one, small, understandable document or presentation - then get in a war room and discuss. Seems easy to me.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,313,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

It is 407 pages long.

Moderator cut: discuss topic, not other members please
It can literally take days to read and fully understand the impact of this type of legislation. Assuming this was a 400 page indictment against you, would you want your lawyer to hand forty other lawyers ten pages and take notes?

I think from final draft to vote there should be a mandatory 10 day waiting period. Heck, some liberals want a ten day waiting period to buy a handgun, but think nothing of spending a trillion dollars before the ink on the Bill is dry.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-26-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,595,113 times
My guess would be for similar reasons that the Democrats didn't read it - an probably Obama didn't read it.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,194,475 times
Why didn't the democrats read it?
Why didn't the republicans read it?
Why didn't Obama read it?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,204,546 times
Why did they call it a stimulus plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections