Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I am concerned about the spending. I was concerned about Bush's spending. I don't know what the answer is to this crisis. Economists disagree as to how much spending is needed to stimulate the economy. I am just praying that in a few years we will stop deficit spending and start trying to get back to a budget surplus. It is going to take a long, long time. I will probably not live to see a balanced budget. (I am 64.)
I don't think spending will get us out of the debt we are in. I have yet to see a drunk drink himself sober.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:12 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,585,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Respectfully,

I don't think that voting for Democrats will help curb "out of control" spending.
Deficits grew much larger under Reagan/Bush I/Dubya than under Carter/Clinton..

Yes, deficits are larger now - but you can largely thank Dubya for this mess - he created it over 8 long years of neglect - and no matter who was elected in 2008 - massive stimulus spending and propping-up of Wall Street were required to avert a full scale Depression... even if McCain were elected the deficits would not be much smaller - they may even be larger - since McCain would have cut taxes for the rich...

Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,486,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post

Yes, deficits are larger now - but you can largely thank Dubya for this mess - he created it over 8 long years of neglect - and no matter who was elected in 2008 - massive stimulus spending and propping-up of Wall Street were required to avert a full scale Depression... even if McCain were elected the deficits would not be much smaller - they may even be larger - since McCain would have cut taxes for the rich...
Hold on there Bob,

Barack has already condoned more than ten trillion over the next ten years.

Big spending for one year, and big spending for nine more years.

Nip it in the bud now.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:44 AM

Charlie Rangel and Sebelius are both tax cheats.

Just give them a pass?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
We tried letting Wall Street police itself and the weasels wasted the hen house. The rest of us have to hunt down the weasels and rebuild the population of chickens so we can all share some eggs. If we need to borrow huge amounts of money to breed these stimulus chickens that is the way it is. So long as I am on the receiving end of this stimulus spending and some rich dude’s kids are on the paying end, hopefully after I am dead in forty years or so, I think this is just fine.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-29-2009, 05:05 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Respectfully,

I don't think that voting for Democrats will help curb "out of control" spending.

Historically

Looking at the past 8 years I don't think voting for a Republican will either......

Old 04-29-2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If we need to borrow huge amounts of money to breed these stimulus chickens that is the way it is.

No, that isn't just the way it is.

Quote:
So long as I am on the receiving end of this stimulus spending and some rich dude’s kids are on the paying end, hopefully after I am dead in forty years or so, I think this is just fine.
Spoken like a true Democrat. Ever heard of contributing to society?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
1966 -1967 Riverine Forces, US Navy, RSVN. I have made a few contributions and am still doing so. Forty years of cleaning up the environment despoiled by greed is a substantial contribution. I just do not expect to make a profit out of it. A salary and pension will do just fine.

You acused me of being a drone, so what have you done lately? What are your contributions to a healthy environment and national security?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post

If Barack's ten trillion dollar spending spree stands, 20 year olds will spend $114,000 in their life time in additional taxes just to pay off the interest.

This is not a matter of change we can believe in. It is a matter of trying to change what we believe. Democrats are failing the American people.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,351,657 times
Quote:
Have Democrats Ever Met A Democrat They Didn't Like?

Carter got elected and they all loved him. Bill Clinton got elected, and they all loved him. Barack got elected, and it's as if they were all sixteen year old girls watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

How is it possible that even when certain Democratic policies are stupid, like the cap and trade scam ( actually a gross tax ), that Dems are blind to such crap and continue to hold the torch for their beloved Senators and Representatives?

Isn't there even one Democrat that disagrees with Nancy Pelosi?

Daschle couldn't be director of Health and Human Services because he didn't pay his taxes. Any love lost there?

What's the deal?
Don't like? I like everybody, including George & Sarah & John & even Rush...........I just don't agree with them on many things. It's not American Idol, is it?

There are a lot of Democrats that I disagree with, on many issues, including all the presidents mentioned above.

But I see that the other side, walks in line on many issues, more for the party's sake, then their citizens, including ones that I, a citizen, not a political party, care about.

I have voted for as many Republican's over the last 40 years, as I have Democrats (for President & Governor). I like my Senator and have spoke with him and his office many times, sometimes agreeing with him and sometimes not.

To me, it's the GOP that tries to make everything "Black or White", but we all know that they too, would rather serve lobbyist, then the public. But no matter who you elect, you are going to get a politician in the end, so you should just work with what you have, since it won't change (unless you really want a dictatorship)

On Tax errors, I am not concered with people making small errors on their returns, when others who are making millions, are not paying a cent or not fileing at all. Again there is a difference between not paying your taxes, and a error on your taxes, and most of these highly political tax issues, have been errors.

Last edited by plannine; 04-29-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections