Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:57 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,535,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Work harder means more hours.
The hours I can work are determined by the company I work for. I have no say in how many hours I work. Even if I could, how would that discourage a company from moving to China?

Quote:
I know someone who knows he is going to lose his job in 2 months. He isn't looking for a job right now because he doesn't want to look in the evening - he wants to have that time for his family. While I understand wanting to spend time with your family, putting extra hours in to find a job would do his family much more good than having no income after 2 months. I mean volunteer to work extra hours - even if it is without pay. You become more valuable to your company by doing so.
I know of no company that would allow an employee to work for free. For one thing, it's illegal. For another, working for free defeats the purpose of working in the first place, so why would anyone agree to it?

Quote:
Work smarter - volunteer for jobs that require learning specialized skills. I recently volunteered to learn a new software on my own (which normally requires 40+ hours of training) in addition to my current duties. Now that I know the software I am one of two people in my entire comany who knows it. Given a year ago there were eight full time people trained on this software, there is little chance either one of the two of us will get fired.

Work harder and smarter. I am amazed at some co-workers who still leave the office after exactly 8 hours of work every day. Layoffs are happening all the time, benefits are being cut and they still have the attitude that they shouldn't work a minute of overtime because we are not paid for it. If you want to keep your job with everything that is going on, you have to make some personal sacrafices for your job.
Okay, but I don't see how this would have any effect on a company seeking dollar an hour labor costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,215,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The hours I can work are determined by the company I work for. I have no say in how many hours I work. Even if I could, how would that discourage a company from moving to China?

I know of no company that would allow an employee to work for free. For one thing, it's illegal. For another, working for free defeats the purpose of working in the first place, so why would anyone agree to it?

Okay, but I don't see how this would have any effect on a company seeking dollar an hour labor costs.

It isn't illegal to work extra hours. It is illegal for an employer to ask you to work extra without pay. If you choose to stay after and sweep the floor, no one will stop you. In fact, your boss might even be impressed. I am required to sit at my desk 8 hours a day. I have been here for more than that on many days (my choice, no one asked me to). Management respects that kind of ambition.

I am not giving you advice on how to prevent your company from being shipped overseas. If your comany ships 50% of jobs overseas, you want to be in the 50% that stay.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:14 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times
It's interesting that the comments after this article (scroll down) by IT workers indicate that they've seen a big increase in foreign employees because of cheaper wages, not just advanced skills.

[url=http://www.cio.com/article/490564/H_B_Visas_Allow_Legal_Discrimination_Against_U.S._ Workers]H-1B Visas Allow 'Legal Discrimination' Against U.S. Workers - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership[/url]

Old 04-29-2009, 02:33 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
International competition has killed many college-based careers here in the US and this will worsen, not get better, in the next 20 years unless we suddenly get people in office who are believers in supporting government revenues via tariffs instead of taxing workers to death.
What of all those American based corporations who move factories to the third world to exploit the benefits of cheap labor cost?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
their goods should face those high import tariffs and then they would be less motivated to produce all of their goods outside of the country! this issue isn't just a loss of so-called "cheap" labor but also more "skilled" labor.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
their goods should face those high import tariffs and then they would be less motivated to produce all of their goods outside of the country! this issue isn't just a loss of so-called "cheap" labor but also more "skilled" labor.
Sounds fair to me.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:29 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,735,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have been calling for countervailing tariffs to eliminate the difference in labor and environmental costs for years. Offsetting taxes with the revenues would be another bonus. I think foreigners can compete on the basis of more efficient factories but not on the basis of slave labor and unlimited pollution.

Obviously we need to enforce a limit on the immigration of skilled and unskilled labor to keep our wages high enough to provide a decent living for our laborers and technicians. These concepts fly in the face of the Freidman nonsense of a “Flat Earth”. His “Flat Earth” is not flat but designed to destroy the value of domestic workers while increasing the profits of overseas investment. This is good for a few but devastating to many and very poor economic policy.
Wages and the standard of living in this country are going to get much much lower. We are on the verge of living very different lifestyles and it's unavoidable.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:02 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Default Doomsday scenarios premature

I believe that it is premature to be presenting such doomsday scenarios so close after the end of the worst administration in the history of this country. George Bush, the Republicans and Conservatives, really threw this country into a free fall. No economic policies. Preferring to maximize profits by overwhelmingly favoring outsourcing, h1b, and cheaper labor despite its negative effect of displacing qualified American workers. Dumping nearly a trillion dollars in nation building efforts in a part of the world we had no business being in the first place. As a country, we are recovering from the catastrophy that was the village idiot. Republicans and Conservatives just flat out stink as the previous 8 years showed!

Obama is at the helm now. He is far more intelligent, versatile, articulate, and talented. He is a far superior problem-solver. His mind is not as nimble as a slab of stone like those of the Conservatives. He is far more flexible in searching for solutions to the problems that plague this nation. I have absolutely no doubt he will resolve these problems. Corrections are being made, changes are taking place that may sometimes appear painful at first but we have huge wounds to heal. So, sit tight!

Conservatives, continue to perpetuate your nonsense.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,928,226 times
NAFTA was signed by a democrat, in case you have forgotten (or never knew it). we have disastrous economic policies in place in which we are increasing our spending at a time that our GDP is actually FALLING and unemployment is INCREASING. which part of that do you think is the right direction?

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I believe that it is premature to be presenting such doomsday scenarios so close after the end of the worst administration in the history of this country. George Bush, the Republicans and Conservatives, really threw this country into a free fall. No economic policies. Preferring to maximize profits by overwhelmingly favoring outsourcing, h1b, and cheaper labor despite its negative effect of displacing qualified American workers. Dumping nearly a trillion dollars in nation building efforts in a part of the world we had no business being in the first place. As a country, we are recovering from the catastrophy that was the village idiot. Republicans and Conservatives just flat out stink as the previous 8 years showed!

Obama is at the helm now. He is far more intelligent, versatile, articulate, and talented. He is a far superior problem-solver. His mind is not as nimble as a slab of stone like those of the Conservatives. He is far more flexible in searching for solutions to the problems that plague this nation. I have absolutely no doubt he will resolve these problems. Corrections are being made, changes are taking place that may sometimes appear painful at first but we have huge wounds to heal. So, sit tight!

Conservatives, continue to perpetuate your nonsense.
Neither Obama nor Bush is/was "intelligent, versatile, articulate, talented, or a superior problem-solver."

I'm a conservative and your comments are downright offensive. I have not supported Bush since about 2005....so quit equating all of us to him.

Your god (Obama) is only a man and he is digging us into huge, huge debt. Sounds pretty stupid to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections