Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:20 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,252,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I won't have to. They'll thank me for voting for a president who took necessary action to save capitalism, save our planet, and rebuild our infrastructure, not unlike what FDR did for my grandparents before the likes of Carter, Reagan, and Bushie Junior destroyed it again.

You don't seem to understand that his intention is to pay down the deficit. I hold him to that and understand the larger context in which these decisions are being made.
"You don't seem to understand that his intention is to pay down the deficit."

You don't seem to understand that the government has NO money of it's own...So IT will tax your grandchildren to get the money to pay down this LARGE deficit....

And I don't blame it all on Obama... He's getting help spending the money that the government doesn't have...

WWII got us out of the Great Depression, NOT FDR.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,082,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
So the plan is to quadruple the deficit and then cut the quadrupled deficit in half 10 years down the line? Even by the time Obama cuts the deficit in half (which is probably a lie, like most of what he says) the deficit will still be larger than the largest deficit under W.

I'm trying to lose 10 pounds, so maybe I'll start by gaining 60 pounds!!!!
No, but keep in mind the best way to diet isn't to completely starve yourself either

Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,082,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You realize Roosevelt was president during WWII, right?

And while WWII was the final factor in getting us out of the depression, Roosevelt's policies began to stimulate the economy in the mid and late 30's. Ever heard of something called the "New Deal"?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,717,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
e...

And what, ultimately, was WWII?

That's right - massive government spending. In fact, government comprised 36% of GDP at the height of WWII. Limbaugh would be pooping his little panties today over the end of America blah blah blah.

FDR cut the unemployment rate in half before WWII. WWII took it all the way down.

This strategy has worked in the past to recover from similar problems - namely, deregulated conservatism run amok.

What we're living is is a new era. Just as Reagan came in to fix the problems of Carter (and, btw, unemployment peaked 2 years into Reagans reign), now Obama ushers in a new era in much the way FDR did after conservatism got out of control.

It's all about balance, and clearly Obama is making that happen. It takes initial spending to do so.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
That's right - massive government spending. In fact, government comprised 36% of GDP at the height of WWII. Limbaugh would be pooping his little panties today over the end of America blah blah blah.
Where should the Government get the money for its increased spending? They're running a current year deficit that is likely to exceed $ 2 Trillion. Raising taxes would cost jobs and printing the difference would put even more pressure on the Dollar.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Where should the Government get the money for its increased spending? They're running a current year deficit that is likely to exceed $ 2 Trillion. Raising taxes would cost jobs and printing the difference would put even more pressure on the Dollar.
Well, I personally think they've done enough. They've borrowed the 2 stimulus packages. I'm not saying endless spending is the solution. I would be concerned if they kept piling on. Very concerned.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM

404 posts, read 561,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Well, that's the way I feel. Look at this ad - Obama is all about the package... who knows what's inside...
Amen, how about fungus inside

Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Much of what was in the Patriot Act was already contained in other law. There wasn't a lot new there, so I remember it being reported at the time.

I don't know of anything in particular about the Patriot Act that I would call "unAmerican". We should be able to find out what suspected terrorists are up to. I'm not for hamstringing law enforcement and tying their hands behind their backs. As long as there is some amount of oversight so that abuse is kept in check.
People don't deserve to loose their Constituional rights because of the threat of terrorism.
Ben Franklin had it right when he said, "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security".
The problem of terrorism is easily solved. We take our troops out of the Middle East and bring them home to protect our borders. We are not safer at home with our troops in the Middle East. They don't come over here because they hate our freedoms, they hate us because we are occupying their Holy lands, we are killing thousands of their people. Our military has no business over there.
It's much easier for them if we fight them there instead of on the mainland here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Those taking the flying lessons were doing so under the Clinton Administration. By the time Bush took office, the planned attack was already in the process of being executed. These things don't happen overnight. This was a carefully choreographed plan, requiring much study and planning. It wasn't something thrown together in a hurry.
Quite possible, but the point I made was the FBI botched it since they had information and it was not acted on.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,340,517 times
Quote:
Well, I personally think they've done enough. They've borrowed the 2 stimulus packages. I'm not saying endless spending is the solution. I would be concerned if they kept piling on. Very concerned.
You should listen to Peter Schiff. He says the stimuli and bailouts are the problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
You should listen to Peter Schiff. He says the stimuli and bailouts are the problem.
I know the arguments - and they may prove correct. Only time will tell.

The way I see it, the economy collapsed. The government doesn't control the economy, so the best it can do is push through projects that create jobs and simultaneously advance the country's interests until the economy can recover: rebuilding infrastructure, building rail transit, investing in renewable energy, stabilizing our last remaining industrial base, loosening up credit markets, etc...

I know a lot of crap got thrown in, but I guess I tend to agree with the overall philosophy. Whether it is being properly implemented, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections