Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,872,765 times

Advertisements

She formally announced today that she will resign her Senate seat in "September or October" to challenge Rick (pretty hair) Perry in the Republican gubernatorial contest. I've been gone for a year and still follow TX politics, but not carefully, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think KBH can beat Perry in the R primaries?
2. Is there anyone of any "statewide" standing that he could appoint that would satisfy all wings of the party?
3. Since he's got to play a pretty "close" game on who he picks; too moderate and the "base" might desert him in the primary, too "base" and he loses the moderates, do you think he's losing sleep over the decision?
4. Can he appoint himself? Thereby guaranteeing a win for both of them.
5. How many "moderates" from CO, CA and NM would have to "move" to TX to elect a D to the Senate seat when it comes up?
6. When does it come up?
7. Does Rick see this as a chance to "just move on down the road"? (You have to live, or have lived in TX to get know what this means!

Good luck TX. A chance to elect a smart, classy governor instead of the idiot/coke-head/gym-rat and the plain idiot that you've had since (?) '96.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,747,049 times
It all makes sense now. Kay leaves the Senate, Palin leaves governorship . . . Sarah Palin, next senator from the state of TX.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 AM

11,581 posts, read 13,996,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I've been gone for a year and still follow TX politics, but not carefully,
Riiight.

Quote:

instead of the idiot/coke-head/gym-rat and the plain idiot...
Hell, that could describe both our current and past Presidents.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:04 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,651,095 times
Wow!

Who are the contenders for the seat?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,522,755 times
1. Right now the polls have Perry ahead. A few months ago, they had KBH ahead. Strangely, the shift happened almost immediately after the secession comments.

2. He's expected to appoint either Florence Shapiro (a state senator) or David Dewhurst (the Lt. gov).

3. Not sure.

4. I don't think he could. Even if he could, I don't think he'd want to.

5. A lot

6. The special election will be held next spring. The exact date is up to Perry.

7. LOL - nope.

KBH is going to have a tough time in the primary due to her support of the bailouts. She has two nicknames - "Kay Bailout" and "Kamnesty Bailey." I never understood the Kamnesty nickname. Her voting record is strongly against illegal immigration. Perry, OTOH, has supported many pro-illegal immigration policies, including granting in-state tuition to illegals at public universities and being a vocal opponent of the border fence. Yet people still think Perry is more against illegal immigration that KBH.

There's also the abortion issue - the single-issue anti-abortion voters will vote for Perry. That will cost KBH some votes in the primary.

For her to win, it's most likely going to take a large number of Dems voting in the R primary. (TX has open primaries; anyone is free to vote in either primary; we don't have registration). I know several Dems who are plannning to vote in the R primary for KBH, then for the Dem in the general election - simply to try and get Perry out.

Personally, I'll be voting for KBH in the primary (and the general election if she wins the primary). Perry has done some good things for TX, yes, but at this point he's making himself and the state a laughing stock. I'm sick of it.

If Perry wins the primary, I'll bite my tongue and vote for him in the general election, merely to keep a Republican in the governor's office - not because I am a Perry supporter.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-30-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 AM

8,286 posts, read 38,886,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
She formally announced today that she will resign her Senate seat in "September or October" to challenge Rick (pretty hair) Perry in the Republican gubernatorial contest. I've been gone for a year and still follow TX politics, but not carefully, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you think KBH can beat Perry in the R primaries?
2. Is there anyone of any "statewide" standing that he could appoint that would satisfy all wings of the party?
3. Since he's got to play a pretty "close" game on who he picks; too moderate and the "base" might desert him in the primary, too "base" and he loses the moderates, do you think he's losing sleep over the decision?
4. Can he appoint himself? Thereby guaranteeing a win for both of them.
5. How many "moderates" from CO, CA and NM would have to "move" to TX to elect a D to the Senate seat when it comes up?
6. When does it come up?
7. Does Rick see this as a chance to "just move on down the road"? (You have to live, or have lived in TX to get know what this means!

Good luck TX. A chance to elect a smart, classy governor instead of the idiot/coke-head/gym-rat and the plain idiot that you've had since (?) '96.

golfgod
I think Kay Bailey is screwing up big time. I think that when she started hinting at running for governor she assumed that Perry would step down due to aspirations of a higher office. It doesn't look like that is going to be the case. Texas, as a whole, is actually doing pretty well under pretty conservative leadership (by the way, I'm not ascribing the relative success of this state to Good Hair) and I can only guess at her motivations for this run. Maybe she genuinely believes that she can do a better job, but I think she views this as a milestone in her career that is very much "according to plan". That's all fine and I doubt anyone would expect anything more from any politician, but I am very concerned about what looney will be selected to fill that seat (what if its BILL F-ING WHITE???? He's too dirty for state legislature and you can bet he'll wallet whip the process since it's his only shot at a real political career) and the absolute mountain of campaign cash that will come from Democratic legislators in safe districts/states when the seat is up for re-election.

Don't get me wrong, I hope she wins - but she's killing herself if she can't unseat the Texas governor who has held that office longer than any other governor in the history of the state and may be exposing everyone to some substantial risk by abandoning her senate seat (although when the term is up I think this nation will be swinging right of center again and it isn't as though Texas ever trends too far left).

Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,858,977 times
I wish Molly Ivins was still with us .... she's probably having a great laugh.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,872,765 times
Thanks for the update on what's going on. My subsriptions to my local paper and "Texas Monthly" have both expired and the one radio show I do listen to online doesn't cover that much state politics. Mabye I should buy an ipod or something and download Jeff Ward from 590 in Austin.

I know that Dan Patrick (who is my former neighbor and an all around d**k-head) had aspirations of running statewide which is why he was buying a couple of more radio stations. But the last I saw he was sitting in a very gerrymandered distict, representing parts of Austin while living (I guess still) in Katy.

I think Kay may be tired of the commute and it's probably not as much fun being in the minority. I always thought she was a classy lady.

golfgod

Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM

41,011 posts, read 49,508,269 times
Personally I hope KBH sends Perry packing. His support of the Trans_Texas Toll road gave him a bad Rep among the working class.

Not the worst Gov we've had but pretty close. She gets my vote.

It will be interesting to see who replaces her Senate seat.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:24 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,137,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I wish Molly Ivins was still with us .... she's probably having a great laugh.
OH SO DO I. She had a lot to say about Perry long before he was governor and she would be having a blast with him lately. I miss her blistering wisdom so much. She was my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections