Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Not really...I can't remember the last time a sitting POTUS was on the tube these many times...I still support him just don't quite get this strategy and quite frankly don't like it.
Just curious. Do you watch any of the videos on the White House web site? I do. [URL]http://www.whitehouse.gov/[/URL]

In the time it took to post one comment on City-Data we could watch a 4 minute video on health care. Then there's [URL="http://www.barackobama.com"]Organizing for America | BarackObama.com[/URL] that has more info and letters you can sign to send a message to Congress.

As I already wrote, most people come home from work and turn on the tube to watch a game show, comedy or crime drama. There's nothing wrong with that either. I've seen every episode of The Closer since it began.

I remember turning on the TV one night and every single news channel, including CNN (not CSPAN thank goodness) had a story about Anna Nicole Smith. If someone who accomplished so little in her lifetime and died of a drug overdose can get so much media coverage, then certainly the person who makes decisions about our economy, war, jobs & health should get a little exposure!

He has been on TV quite a bit lately. I agree. But our country is in turmoil. Maybe he just wants to assure us that he's doing his best and that there's still some hope of recovering. If we start seeing weekly speeches on TV, I'll be the one to complain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Just curious. Do you watch any of the videos on the White House web site? I do. Welcome to the White House

In the time it took to post one comment on City-Data we could watch a 4 minute video on health care. Then there's Organizing for America | BarackObama.com that has more info and letters you can sign to send a message to Congress.

As I already wrote, most people come home from work and turn on the tube to watch a game show, comedy or crime drama. There's nothing wrong with that either. I've seen every episode of The Closer since it began.

I remember turning on the TV one night and every single news channel, including CNN (not CSPAN thank goodness) had a story about Anna Nicole Smith. If someone who accomplished so little in her lifetime and died of a drug overdose can get so much media coverage, then certainly the person who makes decisions about our economy, war, jobs & health should get a little exposure!

He has been on TV quite a bit lately. I agree. But our country is in turmoil. Maybe he just wants to assure us that he's doing his best and that there's still some hope of recovering. If we start seeing weekly speeches on TV, I'll be the one to complain!
I don't visit the WH website that often...I did when he was first elected but not much now....and yes I agree w/you that the country is in turmoil and in quite a bit of trouble...I just think that he is pushing it to far with the exposure...The administration needs more voices that can speak up...Pres. Obama is doing too much of it...

Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
I don't visit the WH website that often...I did when he was first elected but not much now....and yes I agree w/you that the country is in turmoil and in quite a bit of trouble...I just think that he is pushing it to far with the exposure...The administration needs more voices that can speak up...Pres. Obama is doing too much of it...
I'm really not debating this with you, since I like to veg out and watch old reruns of the Golden Girls late at night. But I just learned that Letterman had its highest rating (over 7 million viewers) in 4 years. Considering that CBS is one of many networks, and most people have more than 50 (or even 100) other choices, obviously a lot of folks enjoy listening to Obama. So maybe he knows what he's doing.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:07 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm really not debating this with you, since I like to veg out and watch old reruns of the Golden Girls late at night. But I just learned that Letterman had its highest rating (over 7 million viewers) in 4 years. Considering that CBS is one of many networks, and most people have more than 50 (or even 100) other choices, obviously a lot of folks enjoy listening to Obama. So maybe he knows what he's doing.
Yeah I didn't consider you and I debating this...just offering opinions...but I guess time will tell.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 AM

124 posts, read 249,821 times
less talk more action not including spending

Old 09-24-2009, 07:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
I am one of the biggest Obama supporters out there. I realize he is human and makes mistakes but I'm very disappointed in this calculated decision and strategy to inundate us with all of the TV appearances, interviews, etc, etc...This is way to much exposure and is on the verge of overkill....It seems to me this could be so damaging where it hurts the image of the office of the presidency....Mr. Obama please back off a little on the coverage...This thread is for fellow dems...I like to know your opinions and thoughts on the matter. This is just me offering my constructive criticism on where I think they could do things a little differently....My viewpoint here in no way changes my opinion of the right wing nutcases...I still despise them passionately..
Its not him Its the news corporations. they do not always have to cover everything he says or does (like the kanye incident)

Old 09-25-2009, 02:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Technology is changing and everyone is scrambling for viewers ($$). Regardless of whether any other sitting President has had this much exposure you can be sure every other sitting President was doing what Obama is doing. People just didn't care about it as much or have the desire to make a morning segment whenever the President changed his socks. It's not HIS doing.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:55 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
You know Leo's, they love being on stage, they love a good audience, the bigger the better. With Leo, you get star-power, always. And voters just can't resist star-power.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:11 PM

124 posts, read 249,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You know Leo's, they love being on stage, they love a good audience, the bigger the better. With Leo, you get star-power, always. And voters just can't resist star-power.

I can resist he is intelligent but definitely a lot is self imposed
we need a pres that can do some head knocking all this lovey dovey stuff has to go.. not war but hard nosed . This country has to kick it in the @ss or were gonna be in bigg trouble ...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I disagree. in fact if he made a mistake in this case I think it wasn't coming out soon enough. With all of the misinformation being spewed by some Obama needs to be out there to set the record straight. I think the biggest mistake the Dems have made in recent years is not responding strong enough to the attacks launched by the right (this was especially true from around 2002-2005). \We have gotten a bit better in that regard in recent years, but we need to keep at it. He needs to be out there because he needs to be in control of his message and not have that message shaped by the right like they did to us a few years ago.
I disagree.. Confronting so called misinformation is hurting the Democrat's cause by thrusting such negativity into the spotlight, further escalating the issue. Bush was notorious for not giving the Democrat's any breathing room, which, for the most part, worked quite well. Maybe it is just the popularity and role of the internet in politics, but the more you discuss an issue, the more you popularize it and give it momentum.

Although, I would like for you to provide some specific examples of what you consider misinformation so that I can determine if you only consider it wrong because it goes against your own point of view.

And back to the OP.. I missed several new episodes of Scrubs when Obama sucked up the timeslot for one of his speeches.. That really ticked me off after waiting for so many months for the new (and final) season. No encore showing unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections