Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times

Advertisements

I've asked this question to a few people in real life, and I will supply a couple answers I've received, but let me set this up:

From any movie, tv show, or play, what is the one thing you wish you had in the real world? But keep in mind whatever you have doesn't exist in the fictional world, but it now exists in the world we currently live in. There are no "plot holes" in the real world, so any flaws/deficiencies that exist with that thing/person has to live and work in the real world. BUT the premise on which the thing/person lives/operates/functions will carry over from the fiction (Example: A time machine that runs on garbage Amazon.com: Back to the Future Part II: Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, Lea Thompson, Thomas F. Wilson: Amazon Instant Video ). Sure, it will travel through time on garbage power, but you still have a time machine that looks like no car anyone else has ever driven... ever. Maybe invest in "The Club"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Club_(automotive)

If you choose a person from a show, then you have to know that the particular person in question will age and die like anyone else (Example: Catwoman, Tyler Durden, Bruce Wayne, Joan Harris, etc.).

If you choose an immortal "person" they will live on beyond your years and be available to future generations for purposes you can't control because you will be dead (Examples: a genie, Superman, etc.).

If you pick a flashy and conspicuous technology, you have to realize it is flashy and conspicuous and other people will try to take it from you... especially if it is powerful (Examples: Genies, Terminators, Time machines, etc.).

If you choose something that is impractical... well, it's just impractical, and you (or society) have to deal with it (Example: a T-Rex, Sasquatch, etc.).

I asked a few people this question (with the same guidelines as I posted here) and this is what I got:

My spouse: The Neuralizer from M.I.B. (Pretty solid choice, I think)

A family friend: World Peace (Good intentions, but still leaves us vulnerable to aliens as the Simpsons pointed out)

Me: I would go with "Bumblebee" from Transformers and rarely, if ever, use the "transforming part", but rather have a car that drives itself on seemingly unlimited fuel.

Or, more realistically, the spider that bit Peter Parker in the first movie... then I would squash that spider with my fist so no one else had super powers.

What do you think would be a great addition to your life, or the world, if you could have one fictional "thing"???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:27 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Teleportation. I would love to be able to go places as I wish!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:21 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
That there will always be happy endings!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
That there will always be happy endings!
For who?

Americans?

Christians?

Chinese?

Amputees?

Elves?

Europeans?

Sharks?

Protozoa?

Arsonists?

Teachers?

Business travelers?

If there was always a "happy ending" would be disregarding the universe as we know it.

"Every action has an equal an opposite reaction"... that's like math... or something.

So who has the happy ending at the end of Amazon.com: Red Dawn ('84): Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen: Amazon Instant Video ???

Happy endings don't happen... at least not for every single person.

This wish, I'm sorry to say, is destined to fail in the real world.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Dragons - friendly ones!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
From an old Twilight Zone episode: a pocket watch with which I could "stop" time and the world, and go about my own business. Everyone would freeze in place and shut the heck up, and I could roam around, take what I want, and get some peace & quiet before I feel like turing the world back on again. Unlike the TZ episode, I would keep the watch in a secure, cushioned case so it could not break. But if it did break, like in the show, and the whole world and time just stood still, except for me, I would not lament and cry about it like the guy in the show did. I'd enjoy the solitude.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Dragons - friendly ones!
But I'm afraid we'd have groups of evil people who want to kill them for some bodily product, dissect them for scientific research, or some tree-huggers would get regulations and laws passed about where they could live, and how we couldn't touch them, pet them, feed them, or let them live with us because we'd ruin their ecological niche.

Then we'd have cities passing breed-specific laws about which varieties of dragons could and couldn't live there, and dragons with a certain type of horn or wing would get put down/ euthanized.

Then there would be all kinds of arguments online about whether dragons should be fed hard food, soft food or a raw-food diet, or whether they should be able to decide on their own what to eat.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
For who?

Americans?

Christians?

Chinese?

Amputees?

Elves?

Europeans?

Sharks?

Protozoa?

Arsonists?

Teachers?

Business travelers?

If there was always a "happy ending" would be disregarding the universe as we know it.

"Every action has an equal an opposite reaction"... that's like math... or something.

So who has the happy ending at the end of Amazon.com: Red Dawn ('84): Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen: Amazon Instant Video ???

Happy endings don't happen... at least not for every single person.

This wish, I'm sorry to say, is destined to fail in the real world.

Mayne Schmo was talking about a different kind of "happy ending"

Old 11-07-2012, 10:45 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Reincarnation. Bring back people to life who were killed young.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Aladdin's Lamp! (with 3 wishes per year)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts