Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:40 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Facebook, Youtube, WSJ, et al; *ALL* websites depend upon advertising revenue as a major source of funds. That and whatever information that can be gleaned and sold for marketing purposes.
That's why I think each should write a check imemdiately (based on the number of minutes they tally up say during a month or years-don't want to burden the poor fellows with boring bookeeping issues!) to all who go to their site. It follows that if you 'work' for a company you get paid for your contributions. Frankly, if we think about it signing on and posting and discussing and tweeting etc etc is actually 'working' and giving the site 'free' access to one's contributions towards sustaining the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Well you know, I look at it from the bright side - I'd rather deal with the ads than have YouTube start charging like $7.99 a month, or worse, be like Hulu/HuluPlus... where we are teased with "basic videos" we are "allowed" to watch while the good stuff is the stuff we have to pay extra to see.

Plus, most of the time, we can click that "skip ad" thing after 4 seconds.

I'm so busy these days, if I have time to goof off on YouTube, I have time to deal with the ads.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Nothing is free or at least remains that way long.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:09 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I cannot be the only person who is really annoyed by this now. I remember when YT was a 'fan site' and videos simply came on. (Going to cut to the chase) not to long after that Google purchase EVERYTHING has gotten worse! At first the ads were simply pop ups in the video, txt only just left click them off.

Now most are ALL 26S long and the ones that are longer you can skip. You can never just click and watch anymore. Why do they feel the need to redo my interface every other season ? Why do they feel the need to link your searching DIRECTLY into YouTube and Google search ? Which includes all of your personal info such as your email and saved searches so they can tailor more advertisements and are able to monitor your every move/thought. Why does it feel as if they want you on a single brain 'network'.

Advertisements make money and when ever an AD pops up they get paid. A lot (notice they are ALL big company's ads, not a single one is consider small bisines or local mom and pop). I understand every server needs maintenance but not THAT much maintenance. And whose idea was it to change the player to this Vivo crap. God these people are making so much money with every single click.

Im so jealous I didn't think of this myself! I wish the older version of YouT would come back already because im not sure of how much more one can take. Not that it matters--even if I did come up with the idea they have so much money they would find some way to buy me out and silence me
What ads?? Firefox + Adblock + ghostery + noscript addons and they're gone.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM

168 posts, read 365,240 times
firefox + adblock plus + noscripts
works like a charm

Old 04-13-2014, 09:11 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
I watched a YouTube video this morning, don't remember what it was. The ad was 15 seconds with no skip option. The video was 13 seconds.

There's something bad wrong with that!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:12 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
I think the ads are great. It is not like TV where the television station gets all the money. Now, I can let the ad play on some of my favorite channels from music artists/content creators who never would have seen a dime otherwise. I will specifically let the 15- to 30-second ads play for this reason: if an artist has created a song that I really enjoy, one that I replay often, I am more than happy to let the ad play each time the page is reloaded. Now, with the 3-minute ads, I will usually press "Skip Ad." To be sure, I get a kick out of letting an ad complete on a song that I believe is an A+ song, but only has 10,000 views, so that the artist can receive whatever portion of the Adsense revenue ratio is.

The downside to ad blockers is you are not supporting the content creators whose content you are enjoying.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I think the ads are great. It is not like TV where the television station gets all the money. Now, I can let the ad play on some of my favorite channels from music artists/content creators who never would have seen a dime otherwise. I will specifically let the 15- to 30-second ads play for this reason: if an artist has created a song that I really enjoy, one that I replay often, I am more than happy to let the ad play each time the page is reloaded. Now, with the 3-minute ads, I will usually press "Skip Ad." To be sure, I get a kick out of letting an ad complete on a song that I believe is an A+ song, but only has 10,000 views, so that the artist can receive whatever portion of the Adsense revenue ratio is.

The downside to ad blockers is you are not supporting the content creators whose content you are enjoying.
It's NOT a downside to me. I don't like ads, and won't watch them so them's just tough boogers I guess.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM

419 posts, read 846,534 times
How long until YouTube starts rejecting viewers who block the ads? (Regular free Hulu doesn't play the shows if you've got Ad Block Plus.)

Old 05-26-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
How long until YouTube starts rejecting viewers who block the ads? (Regular free Hulu doesn't play the shows if you've got Ad Block Plus.)
I wonder why I can then? Interesting... I use Ghostery as well, as Adblock with FF 22.0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts