Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,367,309 times

Advertisements

Exactly what I mean. You need a physical media to play the and have possession of the files. Still you own the media not the files. The contents are copyrighted and you are granted only a license to use it.

Copying the contents even if for archival purposes only is copyright infringement.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Exactly what I mean. You need a physical media to play the and have possession of the files. Still you own the media not the files. The contents are copyrighted and you are granted only a license to use it.

Copying the contents even if for archival purposes only is copyright infringement.
And completely unenforceable. And whether I own the media or the files is semantics. End of the day, if you have a house fire and I have a house fire, guess who can still watch their movies and listen to their music? I'm pretty certain the copyright police won't arrest me for restoring the media from my external hard drive.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:46 AM

You're right about that but the law is there in their favor if they decide to file charges. No one bothers with enforcing it but some did something about it and really socked it to you. That includes artists and publishers.

It is not completely unenforceable, don't be ignorant of that. They're just going at the big violators like the file sharing and bootlegging but everyone is game.

Possessing just one illegal song or movie will cost you thousands of dollars. If they catch you with hundreds of them I sure don't want to be in your shoes.

That includes archives.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post

At 65 I remember having a huge collection of vinyl albums, and carefully placing it on the turntable, and hoping it didn't get scratched and start skipping. Ahh, those were the days!
I kept my vinyl in anti-static sleeves, and before each play I zapped the disc thoroughly with an electronic gun and then carefully cleaned it with a radioactive brush. I never used an automatic changer, only a full manual changer, carefully placing my $500 needle cartridge ($1500 in today's money) on the disc by hand.

Good times, good times.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Actually, it's not. If you plan to make a copy and use the copy with the original being stashed away unused, that is "fair use."

But if you plan to actively use both copies (such as one at home and another at work), that is a copyright infringement.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?
I had eschewed physical copies for a long time, but now that I'm seeing the unreliability of services such as Netflix to retain even series that they've had before--and many classic titles I'm interested in are still only available through Netflix and Amazon as physical media--I'm coming now around to purchasing more physical media.

I wanted to watch the classic Andromeda Strain a while back...not possible, except on physical media.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 08-02-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
You're right about that but the law is there in their favor if they decide to file charges. No one bothers with enforcing it but some did something about it and really socked it to you. That includes artists and publishers.

It is not completely unenforceable, don't be ignorant of that. They're just going at the big violators like the file sharing and bootlegging but everyone is game.

Possessing just one illegal song or movie will cost you thousands of dollars. If they catch you with hundreds of them I sure don't want to be in your shoes.

That includes archives.
How would anyone know? I'm not exactly turning over my computers and hard drives for anyone to inspect. I'd have to do something pretty egregious for anyone to get a court order (in other words, that ain't happening).

It's simply not something I will ever have to concern myself with.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 AM

You're right again but you are at risk if something happens.

@ralph:

-Is it illegal to rip a DVD for personal use?
They mean well by doing this, but it is still highly illegal. Ripping is not always illegal, but it is only legal in limited instances. Title 17 of the United States Code says that it is illegal to reproduce a copyrighted work. ... Many people wonder if it is legal to rip a copy of a DVD for personal use.-

-Is it legal to rip a CD that you own?
Under US copyright law, if you convert (rip) an original CD that you own to digital files, then this qualifies as 'Fair Use'. ... According to the RIAA web site, it's acceptable to make a copy of an original CD as digital music files or to burn a single copy for your own private use, but not to share with others.-

A fine line here.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
You're right again but you are at risk if something happens.

@ralph:

-Is it illegal to rip a DVD for personal use?
They mean well by doing this, but it is still highly illegal. Ripping is not always illegal, but it is only legal in limited instances. Title 17 of the United States Code says that it is illegal to reproduce a copyrighted work. ... Many people wonder if it is legal to rip a copy of a DVD for personal use.-

-Is it legal to rip a CD that you own?
Under US copyright law, if you convert (rip) an original CD that you own to digital files, then this qualifies as 'Fair Use'. ... According to the RIAA web site, it's acceptable to make a copy of an original CD as digital music files or to burn a single copy for your own private use, but not to share with others.-

A fine line here.
There is nothing "fine" about "burn a single copy for your own private use, but not to share with others." That line is clear.

As I said before, if you make a copy for use and put the original away as an archive, with only one copy in use at a time, that's safe fair use.

Nothing fine about that line, either: You can only have one copy in use, by yourself or by anyone else.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM

You are wrong again mate.

https://info.legalzoom.com/copyright...ies-22200.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts