Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiloui View Post
I live in a very rural area, we are lucky to have cell phone service and do not have unlimited internet service. I still by movies on DVD.
Sobering thought for the well-internet-endowed streamers...

Old 02-15-2019, 05:51 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's a judgment when you say that you dont think "anyone" is buying physical media-- when clearly, people have posted that they are.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say that I don't think "anyone" is buying physical media.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:57 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No waiting to download, register, etc.
Portability
Permanence -- actual or perceived

In other words, you "experience" it for free, at the expense of the artist.
1. Yes, do you buy every single piece of entertainment you sample?
2. Spotify premium, YouTube red, etc. I pay for some premium services.
3. The artists and record labels themselves put out free stuff on YouTube.

Downloads take like 5 seconds and streaming is instant. “Waiting” isn’t torture, probably it’d take me longer to open the Blu-ray Disc and pop it in the player.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:00 PM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It's a judgment when you say that you dont think "anyone" is buying physical media-- when clearly, people have posted that they are.

I answered the OP long ago, but even the OP's question supposedly not meant as a criticism, certainly sounded like one, with the self-congratulatory pats on the back for not needing to "own" stuff (accessing it is acceptable).

Newsflash: Everyone doesn't have stacks and piles of DVDs strewn about. All of ours are in one 15" × 15" case. If a mess is the only option (or WAS, when physical media was more common), that's their problem.

Memo to OP: Next time, if what you're really after is simply an answer, post a poll. And skip the lofty comments.
It is an interesting discussion though. We don’t all have to agree, and it’s not a right or wrong option.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:45 PM

24,618 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
All of human kind's culture - from the Bible to Bieber, digitized in the 'cloud'. Then something happens to the cloud, and large portions of our most significant written, sung, and acted out works, are lost forever.
That's why you use multiple cloud providers.

And why the hell would you not have a local copy your most treasured items?

Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
Downloads take like 5 seconds and streaming is instant. “Waiting” isn’t torture, probably it’d take me longer to open the Blu-ray Disc and pop it in the player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
It is an interesting discussion though. We don’t all have to agree, and it’s not a right or wrong option.
There are two sets of variables here that some people may be conflating. One set of variables is the physical versus electronic format and the other set of variables is purchase to own versus subscribe to stream. I see three high level options for consumers:
  1. Purchase the physical copy on disc.
  2. Purchase an electronic copy to download and save on a hard drive or server.
  3. Subscribe to streaming service (no ownership of the content).

I mostly utilize a combination of options 1 and 2. Streaming does make it easy to explore new content and I do occasionally stream content but only through the free (ad-supported) Roku apps or youtube.com. I have yet to subscribe to a paid streaming service. The free Roku apps seem to have a good selection of content also seen on Hulu, the broadcast networks and some cable networks. If I like the content I will then make an effort to buy it either on disc or electronically depending on availability, price and how strongly I like the material. Sometimes pre-owned DVDs are cheaper than the downloads. The more I like a TV show or a movie, the more I will seek out the physical disc due to the perception of permanence. All media I buy gets backed up regardless as to whether it came from disc or download.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:03 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,616 times
I do. In fact I downloaded a lot of useful software that are free versions and I saved them to these two spindles full. It's a good thing I did because most providers are making them into trialware and limited.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That's why you use multiple cloud providers.

Uhm, If you've read half of my comments you'd figure out I am the KING of "local copies".

Multiple clouds? I see those outside my window.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,130 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is. The judgement seems to be of those who don't wish to collect those things. We apparently don't have common sense.

I'm glad you've never had an entire hard drive or Flash memory full of music or movies (no doubt downloads that money was traded for!) croak or get stolen, with no master to rebuild your libraries from....

Hence,
Quote:

Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Uhm, If you've read half of my comments you'd figure out I am the KING of "local copies".

Multiple clouds? I see those outside my window.
Alright, I'll concede the title of "KING" to you but I am definitely a high ranking member of the aristocracy of local copies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts