Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I’m 57. I don’t understand how one wants nothing physical. Isn’t anyone a big enough fan of an artist that they want to get everything they can get their hands on? Think about the last century. Before there were albums, teens and older people would purchase 78s and 45s. Then they would buy the albums and they would read the covers while liatening. What happened to the desire to do this? This behavior went straight into the 90s. I imagine that the internet made it possible to listen online or download mp3s. I work in IT and simply do not trust the internet. Wait until the government starts taxing the internet as they have attempted to do this past decade. It is still the Wild West but it will be heavily regulated and taxed in the future. My life revolves around music so I cannot imagine not having it at my disposal. I do know many people who treat music as background noise and could really care less. MYbe those are the ones that are leading the new trend.

In November and later this year, the Beatles are releasing a huge box set for the White album 50th anniversary. It will be huge. Probably the size of a record except about 2” think. There will probably be 6 or 8 cds, books, etc. I have to have that. Same with the John Lennon Imagine box set that will be multi cd and dvd and book. These releases are the polar opposite to the trend and both will probably sell more than any current artist, so I guess us older fans are doing all of the purchasing. I could not consider only streaming this or even downloading it. That is like having nothing.

So, I am split. I envy those who have no need to own physical media but am also saddened that this era is ending.
I remember when Best Album Notes, meaning the commentary on the album covers and "liners" were awarded a Grammy

Old 08-30-2018, 10:48 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Sure, I buy vinyl. It's how most stuff I want is available. I don't want to pay for 1s and 0s, but if it comes with a bandcamp link, that's cool.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:17 AM

393 posts, read 409,184 times
I buy CD's. Just like them in car.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:34 PM

Wouldn't you know it. I tried to watch the next episode of an old show that I was watching only to find out it was no longer in the free streaming contact

Old 09-01-2018, 01:47 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superseiyan View Post
This is more of a poll, and it isn't intended as a criticsm--rather I'm curious whether you're still buying discs (Music, Video Games, Movies) and if so why you are.

For me with all the streaming available for Anime, Music, and services like NEtflix for films, I just find it hard to justify the physical clutter caused by owning discs anymore. Furthermore, I just have a philosophical outlook on life in which "owning" stuff is overrated, I prefer experiencing stuff. For example, I can "experience" a hit song any time and as often as I want because of YouTube. I don't have to "own" the song.....

I do own one Anime Series, a few hip-hop CDs from the 1990s, and the Batman Trilogy (will add Fast & Furious collection soon) but that's only because those for me have unlimited replayability.

For those of you who are still buying how do you approach your physical purchases?
RE: the bolded--you can't take youtube into the car with you on a road trip. Netflix never had the kind of films I'm interested in, back when I'd look at their lists. I haven't checked in a long time, but I doubt they do: Indie films about exotic cultures, and Native film.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
RE: the bolded--you can't take youtube into the car with you on a road trip. Netflix never had the kind of films I'm interested in, back when I'd look at their lists. I haven't checked in a long time, but I doubt they do: Indie films about exotic cultures, and Native film.
Netflix had some of the foreign language films that I wanted to try on DVD but most where not available to stream when I dropped Netflix 7 years ago

Old 09-01-2018, 03:22 PM

804 posts, read 545,126 times
Streaming is stupid. You either download and put away to CD USB or whatever. This cloud server crap is stupid.

When I buy something I want to own it. So I can sell it.

DID YOU KNOW????

Many DVD/Blu-ray versions of movies are further edited? So your not getting the original original at all. You might think that you are but you are not.

Do you know how it feels when you see a reprint of a VHS with scenes censored, shorten, and removed entirely? It feels like I got robbed.

Even with cable television I have been noticing how words are replaced from television shows or changed around.

Do not pay for something you can not sell. This is basically the same as cable television. All cable television did was take away from free television stations.

Streaming is like a sports television broadcast. It is not there forever. It is not permanent at all. They can take it down anytime or even change things around. Just download it or buy the original physical copy if you can.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:54 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Streaming is stupid. You either download and put away to CD USB or whatever. This cloud server crap is stupid.
What a cogent argument...

Quote:
When I buy something I want to own it. So I can sell it.
You think you can sell something you download onto CD or USB?

Quote:
DID YOU KNOW????

Many DVD/Blu-ray versions of movies are further edited? So your not getting the original original at all. You might think that you are but you are not.

Do you know how it feels when you see a reprint of a VHS with scenes censored, shorten, and removed entirely? It feels like I got robbed.
The only editing you're getting with DVDs are either director's cuts or 'family friendly' versions, and these are always loudly advertised as such. Sometimes those are arguably great - Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, etc. - but, again, they're touted as such. Anyone who can't avoid such media is hopelessly inept. I'm not. YMMV.

If you think DVDs typically feature films with scenes cut, then you're woefully confused.

And how you think this advances your 'streaming is SO DUMB, buy it so you can sell it!' argument is... well, beyond logic.

Quote:
Even with cable television I have been noticing how words are replaced from television shows or changed around.
Yes. They're edited for broadcast, depending on the network. Not sure how buying a DVD gets around this, in light of the fact that you've already claimed that DVDs are often not the original content. Your rambling is self-contradictory.

Quote:
Do not pay for something you can not sell. This is basically the same as cable television. All cable television did was take away from free television stations.
You can't sell films you see in theaters or vacations, trips to an amusement park or a museum, nice meals or a broadway show or a trip to the fair or to the golf course. To truly live by the rationale you've served up - apparently without thinking its logic through - would make for one sad and sterile existence.

Quote:
Streaming is like a sports television broadcast. It is not there forever. It is not permanent at all. They can take it down anytime or even change things around. Just download it or buy the original physical copy if you can.
The enjoyment of a film is the watching of that film, in the same way that enjoying a cocktail is the drinking of it, or the enjoyment of a vacation is being on the beach. The notion that you must be able to re-sell it is bizarre. And nonsensical. And fiscally idiotic, because if I bought every film I wanted to see, I'd spend a fortune and recoup only a fraction of my investment (after going through the hassle of selling it, if I could) because most of the time, I'm content to see a film once, not knowing I want to see it again until I actually see it.

In total, your arguments make no sense whatsoever.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:07 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
What a cogent argument...

The only editing you're getting with DVDs are either director's cuts or 'family friendly' versions, and these are always loudly advertised as such. Sometimes those are arguably great - Apocalypse Now, Blade Runner, etc. - but, again, they're touted as such. Anyone who can't avoid such media is hopelessly inept. I'm not. YMMV.

If you think DVDs typically feature films with scenes cut, then you're woefully confused.

Yes. They're edited for broadcast, depending on the network. Not sure how buying a DVD gets around this, in light of the fact that you've already claimed that DVDs are often not the original content. Your rambling is self-contradictory.

The enjoyment of a film is the watching of that film, in the same way that enjoying a cocktail is the drinking of it, or the enjoyment of a vacation is being on the beach. The notion that you must be able to re-sell it is bizarre. And nonsensical. And fiscally idiotic, because if I bought every film I wanted to see, I'd spend a fortune and recoup only a fraction of my investment (after going through the hassle of selling it, if I could) because most of the time, I'm content to see a film once, not knowing I want to see it again until I actually see it.

In total, your arguments make no sense whatsoever.
FWIW, I have several series on VHS that I taped directly off of PBS. When I bought the DVD version, they did cut out scenes.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
I buy CD's. Just like them in car.
Most new cars are being built without CD players, though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci.../#37c489302e88
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts