Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2018, 06:38 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times

Advertisements

You’re not helping your case.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You’re not helping your case.

Well, you don't solve a buffer collapse that was created over years easily, especially when you are working full time.

Long story short, I was working full time and I was going to school full time. Not only did my mother push off stuff on me but also, I was arriving home after weekends at her place where I would walk in, drop off stuff, turn around and go off to my job being sleep deprived (day people believing that just taking a nap is good enough for night work). I usually didn't catch up on sleep till Wednesday and the cycle usually repeated week after week. When I begged for time at the end of a semester, before going home for holidays, to catch up, I was told "You can always do that later.".

Well, it is later and I have years of such stuff that needs to be unpacked, decided on, and if not to be processed such as vinyl, film, and tape, then properly disposed of.

I noted that I usually didn't catch up on sleep till Wednesday; on TV shows taped on Sunday, I eventually just gave up on them because I never caught up with them.

Now, living the life I missed back then, watching the shows I missed back then.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
I’m 57. I don’t understand how one wants nothing physical. Isn’t anyone a big enough fan of an artist that they want to get everything they can get their hands on? Think about the last century. Before there were albums, teens and older people would purchase 78s and 45s. Then they would buy the albums and they would read the covers while liatening. What happened to the desire to do this? This behavior went straight into the 90s. I imagine that the internet made it possible to listen online or download mp3s. I work in IT and simply do not trust the internet. Wait until the government starts taxing the internet as they have attempted to do this past decade. It is still the Wild West but it will be heavily regulated and taxed in the future. My life revolves around music so I cannot imagine not having it at my disposal. I do know many people who treat music as background noise and could really care less. MYbe those are the ones that are leading the new trend.

In November and later this year, the Beatles are releasing a huge box set for the White album 50th anniversary. It will be huge. Probably the size of a record except about 2” think. There will probably be 6 or 8 cds, books, etc. I have to have that. Same with the John Lennon Imagine box set that will be multi cd and dvd and book. These releases are the polar opposite to the trend and both will probably sell more than any current artist, so I guess us older fans are doing all of the purchasing. I could not consider only streaming this or even downloading it. That is like having nothing.

So, I am split. I envy those who have no need to own physical media but am also saddened that this era is ending.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Isn’t anyone a big enough fan of an artist that they want to get everything they can get their hands on?
Not me. I've never been the "everything I can get my hands on" type for anything. Not everyone is a collector.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:53 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you keep sheet acrylic from old framed pictures in case you get a puppy (huh???) ... you might be a hoarder. But I think the possibility of that has come up and been discussed from your past posts.

But we’ve gotten off topic.

Phase II.

When I was responding this morning, I was thinking this thread was in the Consumer Electronics section. Why not, that is often where we find the disk.

Thinking through out the day, however, I decided to check back. Even thought the OP did specify the disk, we are in the Entertainment and Arts section and hence, the media is more wide spread, potentially, to things to media we enjoy by that we hold in our hands to that we hang on our walls.......with the equal impact of "Why should one want to in our modern era?". The era where all our books can be on one hand held device, where all our pictures can be on one screen.

So physical media wise, there is quite a playing field to consider.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:29 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
I recently bought a new car. Most vehicles now do not come with a CD player. You get a USB port for media. So the Cd's I've purchased and played in my vehicles for the last 30 or so years. I now Rip to a flash drive. I did like purchasing and now having Stevie Ray Vaughan CD's.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Phase II.

When I was responding this morning, I was thinking this thread was in the Consumer Electronics section. Why not, that is often where we find the disk.

Thinking through out the day, however, I decided to check back. Even thought the OP did specify the disk, we are in the Entertainment and Arts section and hence, the media is more wide spread, potentially, to things to media we enjoy by that we hold in our hands to that we hang on our walls.......with the equal impact of "Why should one want to in our modern era?". The era where all our books can be on one hand held device, where all our pictures can be on one screen.

So physical media wise, there is quite a playing field to consider.
Okay?

Not really sure what your point is.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:27 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I’m 57. I don’t understand how one wants nothing physical. Isn’t anyone a big enough fan of an artist that they want to get everything they can get their hands on?
1) I'm sure some people are, so your incredulous 'isn't anyone?' is misplaced.

2) This is about a preference or not for physical media, not being able to hear an artists's entire catalog.

3) Personally, I don't need to hear everything by an artists. For example, I'm a big fan of the Doors. I've heard everything off their original six albums. But I have no interest in the two Morrison-less albums the band put out after he died, nor the additional one where they creating backing music to existing tapes of Morrison reciting poetry. I'm not interested in their myriad live albums, in part because live albums are usually hit and miss and in this case because technology for recording shows up to 1971 was so primitive that the results weren't very good. Finally, I don't care about the various b-sides and compilations of outtakes, demo tapes, and other songs that were rejected for albums. Yes, I like the occasional b-side, but they were usually relegated to the flip side of a single for good reason. Yes, I sometimes like compilations of non-album tracks (The Velvet Underground's VU is excellent, R.E.M.'s Dead Letter Office contains a few nuggets). But mostly, no, I don't need to hear - much less own - some crappy version of White Christmas that a band recorded at a soundcheck in Omaha for inclusion on some various artists holiday release. Call me crazy. They're just not that good. On a long car ride, I once listened to a three-hour Beatles bootleg. It was occasionally amusing as a one-off. That's it. There was Not Guilty, which might've been titled Not Very Good, curious only because it was the Beatles song for which they cut the most takes (over 200) - but it never made a Beatles album (Harrison later put out a solo version). And there was Lennon doing a hilarious over-the-top House of the Rising Sun. Otherwise? Completely forgettable. I never listened to it again and I certainly didn't consider buying it.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:29 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
So generally, younger people are more likely to shun physical forms in favor of digital files or streaming. I feel bad for them because they don't know what they are missing quality wise.
If I was listening to Mozart on headphones in a quiet room, then your average streaming quality would be noticeable. However, I never use headphones or buds. My listening is in the car while driving or in the house while doing other things, with all the attendant background noise those situations entail. I know that this real-world reality is lost on the THIS ONE GOES TO 11! specs-braggarts who simply have to convince themselves and the cool kids on the playground that their listening methodology is objectively THE BEST, but when I'm streaming my music under those circumstances, there is no detectable loss.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
If I was listening to Mozart on headphones in a quiet room, then your average streaming quality would be noticeable. However, I never use headphones or buds. My listening is in the car while driving or in the house while doing other things, with all the attendant background noise those situations entail. I know that this real-world reality is lost on the THIS ONE GOES TO 11! specs-braggarts who simply have to convince themselves and the cool kids on the playground that their listening methodology is objectively THE BEST, but when I'm streaming my music under those circumstances, there is no detectable loss.
Well I, for one, am not a "THIS ONE GOES TO 11" braggart as you so eloquently put it. And I'm not trying to prove that my listening get-up is better than anyone elses. But the fact that more and more people listen to music as a background to a task, or in less than suitable environments, does not excuse an arbitrary step-down in delivery quality(IE eschewing 1411kbps lossless redbook CD for 128 -or lower- kbps streaming of dubious quality, on top of whatever processing a streaming service may elect to use to 'make the sound their own).

I'd rather listen to the CD version of something in my car(despite the driving ambience) or at home, knowing that the material is being presented at a relatively high level of quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts