Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's The Best Sci-Fi Commander Of All Time?
Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek TOS) 34 24.64%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek TNG) 44 31.88%
Captain Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: DS9) 6 4.35%
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) 3 2.17%
Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise) 0 0%
Captain Nathan Bridger (Seaquest) 0 0%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1970s 3 2.17%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1990s 5 3.62%
Captain John Sheridan (Babylon 5) 2 1.45%
Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) 2 1.45%
Commander John Koenig (Space 1999) 1 0.72%
Admiral Harriman Nelson (Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea) 1 0.72%
Mike Donovon/Julie Parrish (V) 0 0%
Han Solo (Star Wars) 5 3.62%
Colonel Tyrus Cassius McQueen (Space: Above & Beyond) 0 0%
Doctor Who (Doctor Who) 6 4.35%
Captain Dylan Hunt (Andromeda) 0 0%
Professor John Robinson (Lost In Space) 0 0%
Captain Mal Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity) 12 8.70%
Captain Christopher Pike (Star Trek) 0 0%
Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) 6 4.35%
Commander David Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey) 0 0%
Captain Steve Burton (Land Of The Giants) 0 0%
Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) 6 4.35%
Commander John J. Adams (Forbidden Planet) 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Kirk seems like the stud to people who live in a fantasy world.
In real life, his command would be a disaster.
This from someone who talks about men having periods.
If you want Picard to protect civilization against an enemy invasion over Kirk, prepare to become assimilated.

Lest we all forget, the writers of the shows were crafting characters that fit a certain persona, whether it be the stud, or flawed self reflective emotional type. Picard obviously fits the latter.

One of the episodes that sealed Picards fate in my mind was when O'Brian's former commander was onto the Cardassians smuggling weapons, and O'Brian's commander was doing something about it. Picard, like the limp noddle that he is, decided not to expose it all by boarding the ship pretending to be carrying something else.
In the meantime O'Brian's commander (who was 10 times the man Picard was) had his career ruined and the Cardassians became all the stronger as a result.
I know the writers made Picard seem like he was on to the Cardassians by giving them a stern warning, but again that is so typical of his character.

I want a leader who means what he says, and is not afraid to act for fear of political ramifications. Think of Pershing, Teddy Roosevelt, Patton, etc.
In real life that is one of the things I cannot stand about the limp noodle we have as president. If you are going to draw a line in the sand, you had better back it up if the other side crosses it. Otherwise don't draw the line in the first place, because you only make our country look weak and encourage our enemies.

I bet Obama prefers Picard over Kirk as well.
Actually I take that back. If he could choose from the OP's list, and knowing how important race is to him, he would choose Cisco.

BTW - You had better be careful Stan4, lest Texas remove you from their state for choosing Picard.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Some people are going to have nothing to talk about in 2017.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Not surprising the subtleties of command, diplomacy, and not giving up on principles fly so far over people's heads.

All guns blazing or nothing.
Got it.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM

120 posts, read 116,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Loved it, Pooter, but have to ask if you are the original author.
Nah, that post and variations of it have been circulating around the Internet for years. It's been posted on the Sci-Fi Boards forever. The title is: 100 Reasons Why Kirk is Better Than Picard or something like that.

I'm rather surprised it made such a big hit on here, it's funny; but not THAT funny. Personally, I think this is a lot funnier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpco...k&html5=1&hd=1

Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
where is Admiral Ackbar, the Mon Calamari admiral from Return of the Judi? There is way too much star trek

Old 10-08-2014, 10:41 PM

695 posts, read 713,785 times
Quote:
Kirk seems like the stud to people who live in a fantasy world.
In real life, his command would be a disaster.
Could you elaborate on that a little please? I think serving under Kirk would be a lot like being in the US Military during war time.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 PM

695 posts, read 713,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I was reading the paragraph with interest, but then saw you used the tool of the lazy and brain dead (i.e. Wiki) as your reference material.

On a side note assuming any of the stuff you posted is accurate, I liked Hunter as Pike, and also think Jack Lord would have made a great Captain Kirk. Then again the down side might be that he never would get to play the lead role in Hawaii 5-0.
Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say.....I happen to be a contributing member of Wikipedia.

I already knew this stuff from reading Trek Trivia/Books over the years. However, finding direct references to it on the Internet are scarce and I have better things to do than track down the original sources I read this stuff in.

I wasn't posting it to you anyway, I was backing up my statement to RomaniGypsy. It is common knowledge among Trekkers that Kirk is Hornblower in Space, and Star Trek was Wagon Train to The Stars.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 PM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Well that wasn't a very nice thing to say.....I happen to be a contributing member of Wikipedia.
I am not even sure what a "contributing member of Wiki" means, unless it means you are one of the many who inject things into the articles that may or may not be factual.

Regardless, rest assured it was not a personal attack on you, rather on Wiki, and those who want to have a serious discussion yet use it as if it was some legitimate resource of factual information. For the purposes of a Sci Fi discussion I guess it is harmless since this is all a fantasy subject matter anyway.

To me it is nothing more than a place to get basic info that may be correct.
Fortunately many high schools and colleges have prohibited it's use for reference material or a legitimate source.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
I voted for Buck Rogers and I'll tell ya why. All those other starship commanders were fully acclimated to the technology that was available to them at that time and had years and years of training and apprenticeship before reaching the level that they were at.

Not so for Buck. He got caught in a time warp and was transported several hundred years into the future! He arrived there with no experience regarding piloting a starship and yet was able to pick up on the new technology and flight controls in a matter of 2 or 3 episodes to become one heck of a space fighter pilot. Now that is one smart and capable individual folks!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 04:56 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Not surprising the subtleties of command, diplomacy, and not giving up on principles fly so far over people's heads.

All guns blazing or nothing.
Got it.
The arrogance. How incredibly Romulan.

Kirk being patterned after Hornblower who was created from the actual exploits of successful British small warship commanders of the Napoleonic Wars(sloop and frigate) especially Cochrane then we have proven leadership traits and they did use cunning and tactics to defeat their adversaries when overmatched. Not the simplistic all guns blazing your presume to elevate yourself above our opinions.

I thought Kirk reminded me of Odysseus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts