Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's The Best Sci-Fi Commander Of All Time?
Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek TOS) 34 24.64%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek TNG) 44 31.88%
Captain Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: DS9) 6 4.35%
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) 3 2.17%
Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise) 0 0%
Captain Nathan Bridger (Seaquest) 0 0%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1970s 3 2.17%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1990s 5 3.62%
Captain John Sheridan (Babylon 5) 2 1.45%
Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) 2 1.45%
Commander John Koenig (Space 1999) 1 0.72%
Admiral Harriman Nelson (Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea) 1 0.72%
Mike Donovon/Julie Parrish (V) 0 0%
Han Solo (Star Wars) 5 3.62%
Colonel Tyrus Cassius McQueen (Space: Above & Beyond) 0 0%
Doctor Who (Doctor Who) 6 4.35%
Captain Dylan Hunt (Andromeda) 0 0%
Professor John Robinson (Lost In Space) 0 0%
Captain Mal Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity) 12 8.70%
Captain Christopher Pike (Star Trek) 0 0%
Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) 6 4.35%
Commander David Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey) 0 0%
Captain Steve Burton (Land Of The Giants) 0 0%
Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) 6 4.35%
Commander John J. Adams (Forbidden Planet) 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:22 PM

695 posts, read 713,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Hmmm.... I've been to Colorado (Denver area, foothills west of Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs) 5 or 6 times and I don't remember seeing those jacked up trucks and gun racks that you're talking about. What parts of Colorado were you in?

As for the rodeos, Denver hosts the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo every year, among others.

What she said ^ about Colorado rodeos.
I was chasing down Ham Radio Repeater towers between Denver and Colorado Springs. Getting radio Contacts while parked on top of Pike's Peak is quite an exhilarating experience! I kinda have some other hobbies besides Captain Kirk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Has anyone ever taken note of the leadership similarities between Captain Kirk, and the BEST darn President of the 20th Century?

Old 10-10-2014, 02:41 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
SIGH................

the Testosterone is so strong here you could ice skate on it!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Do you really think Kirk could have been assimilated? Spock almost lost it when he tried to Mind Meld with him. Kirk made at least three AI's self-Destruct by out thinking them, and when alien spores invaded his body, he was the only person out of his entire crew to destroy them with his emotional force of will!
Who are you kidding? Of course Kirk would have been assimilated! Damn Borg Assimilation Deniers!

PS there was only one species that the Bog could not assimilate. Interestingly, there was olne species that had no problem hunting that unassimilationable species. Interestingly, that hunter species was easily assimilated by the Borg.

Ah ... classic triangle trade!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WT

Picard was captured by the Borg, was assimilated, and then he destroyed most of Star Fleet.
If it would have been Kirk, he would have found a way to either destroy the Borg, or bed the Borg woman and make her his love slave, thereby rendering them harmless.
Nice fantasy.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, where is the woman comment coming from

Secondly, while I did not mention trucks, rodeos, or guns as it relates to Texans, I find it funny that you did.
Maybe thou protests too much because you fear those generalizations might have some truth to them?

I just got back from Texas (have been there plenty of times), and rest assured there are plenty of the things you said and more as it relates to the people of Texas. Now don't get me wrong as I like the people I know, and generally the typical person is friendly proved you are in kind.
Still very few places in this country have people wearing cowboy hats, boots, bolo ties, drive jacked up trucks, etc.,etc., like they do in Texas.

As to the theme of the thread, yes, Texas is stereotyped as a place where a mans man resides, and they do not "take a liking to sissy boys" like Picard.
Like it or not, the modern writers of Star Trek made a more mealy mouthed, almost asexual, self reflective character in Picard. The only testosterone Picard had was what he absorb by being close to Riker.

He also was Borged and killed most of his fellow Star Fleet comrades. Kirk typically only lost one crewman per episode, and you always knew who it was based on the color of his uniform when they beamed down to the planet surface. So Kirk may have lost 80 or so Star Fleet guys, where Picard killed 80,000 or so in just a few days. Yeah, we really want Picard protecting us against alien invasions. With protectors like that, who needs enemies.

Heck Picard is French of all things. Need I say more?

`
Hell, Kirk was from Iowa.

And hey watch that, pal. I'm French!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Kirk's the man
So being a great leader is all about how much nookie they get?

Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times
While I like most of the Commanders listed here, I voted for Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) Jack was always interesting to watch, he was always annoying his superiors, he did not take any S@*T from anyone, Jack also had strong convictions, but would compromise on them or revise them as needed. Jack also had a good point about trusting someone, "I don't trust anyone that does not have a sense of humor"; there is something to be said for that.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM

16,541 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You mean other than the 450ish DEAD on the USS Excalibur and USS Lexington?

Sure, M-5 pulled the trigger, but his ship, his command, his responsibility.

If one is going to hold Kirk faultless in that incident, then so they must hold Picard faultless in the Borg incident.

OF COURSE, the only suitable answer in either situation is to DIE and prevent their devices (ship, self) from being used to killed friendly forces.

But.......we wouldn't have much a show then, would we?
Bad comparison and/or attempt to exonerate Picard.
Here is why.
Kirk was under orders to have M-5 installed on the Enterprise against his wishes. Only his exemplary use of logic was able to overcome the situation before M-5 laid waste to more of Star Fleet. Locutis could make no such claim.

Furthermore, Picard was caught off guard and captured by the Borg. Again if the question is who you would want to stop an invading enemy, it is not even close. Now if the question was who do you want to be an mealy mouthed ambassador, then French wine country boy Picard would win hands down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Do you really think Kirk could have been assimilated? Spock almost lost it when he tried to Mind Meld with him. Kirk made at least three AI's self-Destruct by out thinking them, and when alien spores invaded his body, he was the only person out of his entire crew to destroy them with his emotional force of will!

Finally in the Menagerie, the Talosians confessed to Kirk at the end of the episode that Mr. Spock had communicated his shear force of will to them so they weren't even going to try and get into his mind and convince him to bring Pike to their planet.
I think we are saying the same thing and are on the correct side of this issue. Kirk would assimilate the Borg chic, not the other way around.

`

Old 10-10-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
While I like most of the Commanders listed here, I voted for Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) Jack was always interesting to watch, he was always annoying his superiors, he did not take any S@*T from anyone, Jack also had strong convictions, but would compromise on them or revise them as needed. Jack also had a good point about trusting someone, "I don't trust anyone that does not have a sense of humor"; there is something to be said for that.
Gee, Jack O'Neill sounds a lot like me at my job! I never watched Stargate SG-1, because I didn't like the movie and assumed the TV show would be the same way.

That was probably a mistake because I've always liked Richard Dean Anderson, and we both grew up in the Twin Cities, MN area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts