Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's The Best Sci-Fi Commander Of All Time?
Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek TOS) 34 24.64%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek TNG) 44 31.88%
Captain Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: DS9) 6 4.35%
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) 3 2.17%
Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise) 0 0%
Captain Nathan Bridger (Seaquest) 0 0%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1970s 3 2.17%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1990s 5 3.62%
Captain John Sheridan (Babylon 5) 2 1.45%
Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) 2 1.45%
Commander John Koenig (Space 1999) 1 0.72%
Admiral Harriman Nelson (Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea) 1 0.72%
Mike Donovon/Julie Parrish (V) 0 0%
Han Solo (Star Wars) 5 3.62%
Colonel Tyrus Cassius McQueen (Space: Above & Beyond) 0 0%
Doctor Who (Doctor Who) 6 4.35%
Captain Dylan Hunt (Andromeda) 0 0%
Professor John Robinson (Lost In Space) 0 0%
Captain Mal Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity) 12 8.70%
Captain Christopher Pike (Star Trek) 0 0%
Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) 6 4.35%
Commander David Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey) 0 0%
Captain Steve Burton (Land Of The Giants) 0 0%
Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) 6 4.35%
Commander John J. Adams (Forbidden Planet) 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:48 PM

695 posts, read 713,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
well golly gee wiz, there were spoof episodes in each of the Start Trek series, and STTOS had the tribles

I was going to say Kirk starred in the most spoofs, but I'm drawing a blank now. I do recall one wag back in the day saying that whenever he wanted to know what American foreign policy was, he would tune in to the latest Start Trek episode.

Considering what I am reading here, why isnt it appropriate to consider Jason Nesmith against any of the other commanders named? He was given command and had to survive.

Look, ALL of the commanders in question are the products of scriptwriters. NONE of the characters are anything other than fiction.

Gene Roddenberry came to sci fi the hard way, according to This Wikipedia Source So he was a hard working guy looking for an ingress, found one in Star Trek, and the rest is history. No sure how much direct input he had on the later series. Does "executive producer" mean he was paid a royalty for his ideas?

So yes I am defending my inclusion of the Galaxy Quest universe in the discussion.

`
I don't know how to answer this. When watching the TV show or movie in which all these commanders were in, I felt like I was there, part of it, like it was real. Galaxy Quest was a Situation Ethic, a "What Would You Do If" situation. In other words it wasn't who they really were. Galaxy Quest is more like what would really happen if Earth were really attacked in real life. A leader would arise and the rest of the planet would tumble into chaos.

I don't have an answer that will satisfy you on that one.

Gene Roddenberry WAS the original Star Trek. He had limited input in Star Trek: TNG. He had some input in the first few Star Trek movies. He also had a lot of input into Andromeda since that show was based on all his previously unpublished scripts for another TV Series after Star Trek. Andromeda wasn't produced until after Gene's death, so he had no input in the production of the series though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
Han Solo, Mal Reynolds, and David Bowman were all Silver Screen commanders. I couldn't think of any more, but if I had I would have included them.
You already made this thread on another site back in 2013:

Poll: Best Sci-Fi Captain of all time! - The Trek BBS

If everyone is wondering why this poll is Startrek oriented is because it is, he posted this same thread on a site dedicated to trek fans: "Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.".

Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
You already made this thread on another site back in 2013:

Poll: Best Sci-Fi Captain of all time! - The Trek BBS

If everyone is wondering why this poll is Startrek oriented is because it is, he posted this same thread on a site dedicated to trek fans: "Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans.".
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! I've been discovered!

At least Captain Kirk won in that poll.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Well I'm not really sure I understand your question here.......
You're right, you don't.

Let's say Spock is Kirk's "sub commander", Jadzia Dax is Sisko's.

Chakotay seems to be Janeway's though that could be open for debate between him, Tuvok, or even Seven of Nine. Picard's might be Riker or Data or LaForge. With these two Captain's, it's not really clear about who that one person is that you leave with the ship, that one person who can best fight the ship. Not just head on such as Worf might do, but that one person who knows how to get the best out of the ship, to make the best of the situation, to turn disadvantage into advantage.

Then you stack those sub commanders in one to one battles against each other, with equal ships. Who comes out ahead?

Would Dax defeat any of Picard's people? Perhaps defeat Spock? Win against everyone except maybe Seven? Or even defeat Seven because Seven is "intelligent but inexperienced"?

Or perhaps Data might come out ahead if he learned to think ahead, ask the questions before anyone else asked him to devise a strategy?

Who knows "all the tricks".......and who has the audacity to apply them as needed?

Old 10-14-2014, 07:40 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Space 1999 gets no love? How about Richard Benjamin in Quark?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:19 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Space 1999 gets no love?
No. No love for Space 1999.

Quote:
How about Richard Benjamin in Quark?
I had forgotten about that. How could I forget Ficus? I liked Ficus.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You're right, you don't.

Let's say Spock is Kirk's "sub commander", Jadzia Dax is Sisko's.

Chakotay seems to be Janeway's though that could be open for debate between him, Tuvok, or even Seven of Nine. Picard's might be Riker or Data or LaForge. With these two Captain's, it's not really clear about who that one person is that you leave with the ship, that one person who can best fight the ship. Not just head on such as Worf might do, but that one person who knows how to get the best out of the ship, to make the best of the situation, to turn disadvantage into advantage.

Then you stack those sub commanders in one to one battles against each other, with equal ships. Who comes out ahead?

Would Dax defeat any of Picard's people? Perhaps defeat Spock? Win against everyone except maybe Seven? Or even defeat Seven because Seven is "intelligent but inexperienced"?

Or perhaps Data might come out ahead if he learned to think ahead, ask the questions before anyone else asked him to devise a strategy?

Who knows "all the tricks".......and who has the audacity to apply them as needed?
Oh, that's an easy question then. The #1 "Sub-Commander of all time would be Scotty! Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott. When it comes to battle tactics he's the man!

He hates the Klingons!
He knows how to hold the ship together!
He's a natural leader.
He knows the limits of the ship better than his Captains.
In fact, he even knows the ship better than the people who designed it!
He can also drink aliens under the table if all else fails!
If something breaks, he can fix it with spit and paper -- Just like MacGyver.
He can adapt alien cloaking devices to work on his ship.
He can jury-rig any system on the ship to do something other than what it was intended.
Scotty is also the only Star Fleet Officer to tell Mr. Spock, "I donna need a bloomin' Cuckoo Clock!"

There's no contest here, Scotty is light-years ahead of any other sub commander in all of Sci-Fi!

Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
I don't know how to answer this. When watching the TV show or movie in which all these commanders were in, I felt like I was there, part of it, like it was real. Galaxy Quest was a Situation Ethic, a "What Would You Do If" situation. In other words it wasn't who they really were. Galaxy Quest is more like what would really happen if Earth were really attacked in real life. A leader would arise and the rest of the planet would tumble into chaos.

I don't have an answer that will satisfy you on that one.

Gene Roddenberry WAS the original Star Trek. He had limited input in Star Trek: TNG. He had some input in the first few Star Trek movies. He also had a lot of input into Andromeda since that show was based on all his previously unpublished scripts for another TV Series after Star Trek. Andromeda wasn't produced until after Gene's death, so he had no input in the production of the series though.
I do not have any reason to debate these points. We may disagree, but your observations are worth consideration.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Oh, that's an easy question then. The #1 "Sub-Commander of all time would be Scotty! Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott. When it comes to battle tactics he's the man!

He hates the Klingons!
He's a natural leader.
He can jury-rig any system on the ship to do something other than what it was intended.
Scotty is also the only Star Fleet Officer to tell Mr. Spock, "I donna need a bloomin' Cuckoo Clock!"

There's no contest here, Scotty is light-years ahead of any other sub commander in all of Sci-Fi!
I was thinking about Scotty. Certainly if anyone does, he knows how to blow up the ship without using the self destruct; otherwise, they would have been really put out of place with Kirk and Spock gone in "The Enterprise Incident".

But does he have the tactical know how, the guts to push the ship to the limits? "The Naked Time", "The Galileo Seven", and "The Paradise Syndrome" (to say nothing of his insubordination in that one) might say otherwise. He does seem to err on the side of caution, perhaps even treating the ship like Keith Davenport treated his crews in "Twelve O'Clock High"....and failing to get the mission done. Further, there were times when the ship faced destruction in orbit, on his watch, and it took the landing party to save his bacon.

But, to each their own.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:

He hates the Klingons!
He's a natural leader.

You know it! (Since I canna rep ye agen')!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts