Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's The Best Sci-Fi Commander Of All Time?
Captain James T. Kirk (Star Trek TOS) 34 24.64%
Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek TNG) 44 31.88%
Captain Benjamin Sisko (Star Trek: DS9) 6 4.35%
Captain Kathryn Janeway (Star Trek: Voyager) 3 2.17%
Captain Jonathan Archer (Star Trek: Enterprise) 0 0%
Captain Nathan Bridger (Seaquest) 0 0%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1970s 3 2.17%
Commander William Adama (Battlestar Galactica) 1990s 5 3.62%
Captain John Sheridan (Babylon 5) 2 1.45%
Buck Rogers (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century) 2 1.45%
Commander John Koenig (Space 1999) 1 0.72%
Admiral Harriman Nelson (Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea) 1 0.72%
Mike Donovon/Julie Parrish (V) 0 0%
Han Solo (Star Wars) 5 3.62%
Colonel Tyrus Cassius McQueen (Space: Above & Beyond) 0 0%
Doctor Who (Doctor Who) 6 4.35%
Captain Dylan Hunt (Andromeda) 0 0%
Professor John Robinson (Lost In Space) 0 0%
Captain Mal Reynolds (Firefly/Serenity) 12 8.70%
Captain Christopher Pike (Star Trek) 0 0%
Colonel Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG-1) 6 4.35%
Commander David Bowman (2001: A Space Odyssey) 0 0%
Captain Steve Burton (Land Of The Giants) 0 0%
Captain Nemo (20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) 6 4.35%
Commander John J. Adams (Forbidden Planet) 2 1.45%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:25 AM

695 posts, read 713,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am not even sure what a "contributing member of Wiki" means, unless it means you are one of the many who inject things into the articles that may or may not be factual.

Regardless, rest assured it was not a personal attack on you, rather on Wiki, and those who want to have a serious discussion yet use it as if it was some legitimate resource of factual information. For the purposes of a Sci Fi discussion I guess it is harmless since this is all a fantasy subject matter anyway.

To me it is nothing more than a place to get basic info that may be correct.
Fortunately many high schools and colleges have prohibited it's use for reference material or a legitimate source.
Contributing Member means I have an account with them and I do write, or add to rather, information on some topics. I have never had any of my contributions challenged either as I always reference my sources and they are from outside of other Wiki articles.

I also have an account with Google Earth and contribute some of those beautiful pictures you can click on and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
What an incredibly idiotic post. You don't think a woman can weigh in on this topic? Or that a Texan can't choose Picard? We don't all drive jacked up trucks with gun racks and go to rodeos on the weekends.

I'm from TX, and I choose Picard. Kirk would have been annihilated by the Borg, he's not smart enough to outthink them, and holds no advantage over them in technology to exploit by going in "guns blazing."

Kirk was a swashbuckling type of Captain. If you've watched the films, you'll see he disdained ever becoming an Admiral, he knew he wasn't cut out for it. Picard made a great Captain AND could also easily be an Admiral or higher... he sees the big picture.

Now if you want the fate of the galaxy and our race to rest on the shoulders of a guy who's all about action and no thinking (while screwing every blue skinned alien along the way) then more power to you, but it's a fools argument.
Ya know, there's more than just two captains on the list and only Kirk and Reynolds have similar styles of command. Picard doesn't belong in the Captain's seat, but I agree he would probably make a good Star Fleet Command Official.

I've been to Texas, and I've been to Colorado, and I can say a lot more people in Colorado had jacked up trucks and gun racks than Texas did. I didn't see any rodeos in Colorado though. Must have something to do with though beautiful mountains.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:26 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Z View Post
...... I didn't see any rodeos in Colorado though. Must have something to do with though beautiful mountains.
Then you missed something.

HOMEPAGE (Colorado West Barrel Racing)
Colorado Rodeos, Colorado Summer Vacation Events

Now, back on topic.

First, a request. For all those quoting the 100 things great about Kirk, could you summarize, PLEASE, which one you are referring to instead of listing the entire list? After a few pages, it is getting tedious.

How great can Kirk be if he allowed some woman to steal his manhood? Further, he's lucky his hypocritical ways didn't catch up with him in that he busted people for violating the Prime D.......but often did it himself without a care.

And there is still that red tights incident.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:45 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
How much does the voting represent the popularity of the shows? Do so many people really think it's only a race between Kirk and Picard and that characters like Bill Adama and John Sheridan stand that short next to them?

Personally, I've watched all there is to see of all of them, and I'd still hang with Mal Reynolds or Jack O'Neill (who somehow managed to get the persona of a fighter pilot right and still be a good unit commander, which was rare in my experience, but I did know a couple like him).

Old 10-10-2014, 09:35 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Contributing Member means I have an account with them and I do write, or add to rather, information on some topics. I have never had any of my contributions challenged either as I always reference my sources and they are from outside of other Wiki articles.

I also have an account with Google Earth and contribute some of those beautiful pictures you can click on and see.
No personal offense intended, but this is the reason Wiki will always be suspect. I have read many things on it(when I use to read it) that are either inaccurate or flat out distortions. You also have people who intentionally inject their own biases, whether it be political or their personal taste.
As a result it is unreliable as an accurate reference source.

I am sure there are some people who try to be as neutral as possible, maybe people such as yourself. However human nature will dictate that many cannot dispassionately give a fair and balanced account of events, nor separate themselves from their emotions to write in a professional manner.

As to Google Earth, my view is completely opposite, and enjoy it on a regular basis. So if you are responsible for some of it's content, then you get a pat on the back from me.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:41 AM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Then Picard gets my vote, for his actions against the Borg.
WT

Picard was captured by the Borg, was assimilated, and then he destroyed most of Star Fleet.
If it would have been Kirk, he would have found a way to either destroy the Borg, or bed the Borg woman and make her his love slave, thereby rendering them harmless.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:00 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,216 times
Quote:
I've been to Texas, and I've been to Colorado, and I can say a lot more people in Colorado had jacked up trucks and gun racks than Texas did. I didn't see any rodeos in Colorado though. Must have something to do with though beautiful mountains.
Hmmm.... I've been to Colorado (Denver area, foothills west of Denver, Boulder and Colorado Springs) 5 or 6 times and I don't remember seeing those jacked up trucks and gun racks that you're talking about. What parts of Colorado were you in?

As for the rodeos, Denver hosts the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo every year, among others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Then you missed something.

HOMEPAGE (Colorado West Barrel Racing)
Colorado Rodeos, Colorado Summer Vacation Events
What she said ^ about Colorado rodeos.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
........He also was Borged and killed most of his fellow Star Fleet comrades. Kirk typically only lost one crewman per episode, and you always knew who it was based on the color of his uniform when they beamed down to the planet surface. So Kirk may have lost 80 or so Star Fleet guys, where Picard killed 80,000 or so in just a few days. Yeah, we really want Picard protecting us against alien invasions. With protectors like that, who needs enemies.

Heck Picard is French of all things. Need I say more?

`
You mean other than the 450ish DEAD on the USS Excalibur and USS Lexington?

Sure, M-5 pulled the trigger, but his ship, his command, his responsibility.

If one is going to hold Kirk faultless in that incident, then so they must hold Picard faultless in the Borg incident.

OF COURSE, the only suitable answer in either situation is to DIE and prevent their devices (ship, self) from being used to killed friendly forces.

But.......we wouldn't have much a show then, would we?

Old 10-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
No personal offense intended, but this is the reason Wiki will always be suspect. I have read many things on it(when I use to read it) that are either inaccurate or flat out distortions. You also have people who intentionally inject their own biases, whether it be political or their personal taste.
As a result it is unreliable as an accurate reference source.

I am sure there are some people who try to be as neutral as possible, maybe people such as yourself. However human nature will dictate that many cannot dispassionately give a fair and balanced account of events, nor separate themselves from their emotions to write in a professional manner.
Well then, Wiki needs people like you to edit the entries and make sure they are correct. I have on occasion corrected other people's entries and on one occasion had my entry edited (not because it was wrong, but rather because it was out-dated).

The entries on Captain Kirk are pretty accurate now that TOS has been out of the main stream. I think people are getting confused because J.J. Abrams has distorted Kirk with the new movies which all take place in an Alternate Universe.

For new stuff about Kirk that's staying true to the original check out:
Star Trek Continues - Space: The Final Frontier...

Kirk LIVES!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
WT

Picard was captured by the Borg, was assimilated, and then he destroyed most of Star Fleet.
If it would have been Kirk, he would have found a way to either destroy the Borg, or bed the Borg woman and make her his love slave, thereby rendering them harmless.
Do you really think Kirk could have been assimilated? Spock almost lost it when he tried to Mind Meld with him. Kirk made at least three AI's self-Destruct by out thinking them, and when alien spores invaded his body, he was the only person out of his entire crew to destroy them with his emotional force of will!

Finally in the Menagerie, the Talosians confessed to Kirk at the end of the episode that Mr. Spock had communicated his shear force of will to them so they weren't even going to try and get into his mind and convince him to bring Pike to their planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts