Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 04:17 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
SO I'm a little confused...

While you were enjoying American Pie (back when you were what, 12?) there were plenty of 30 year olds complaining about how horrible and un-funny that movie was, and when THOSE 30yos were 12 and enjoying, say, Cannonball Run, there were 30yos back THEN complaining about how horrible that movie was.

I would never in a thousand years expect a 12yo's humor tastes to stay intact throughout a lifetime. IMHO that would be very weird.

So what's the OP's point? That you simply prefer different things today?
No - my point is exactly what I stated - I prefer NOTHING nowadays. I don't find the popular comedians funny. Good movies are few and far between. I don't like the music. I'm not into the TV shows that it seems everyone is crazy about.

Perhaps I'm just a weird person that isn't easily entertained. As I said, that can be good and bad. I do somewhat like a few shows like Intervention, American Greed and Dateline so at least I have something to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
I know what you mean OP. I find way too much entertainment to be "fabricated". There's less and less actual talent these days, comes with the advancements in technology I suppose. Music in particular is guilty of this (hello Autotune!).

Several of my co-workers love Game of Thrones. I found it to be quite boring. I tried Breaking Bad once and just wasn't interested, that was another one that was a big topic of conversation. I "get" it, but it doesn't entertain me. Don't get me started on Big Bang Theory, that one I don't understand at all and wish it nothing but misery.

It's interesting you mention comedians. I personally think Amy Schumer is a talentless hack, but there are people out there who worship her and consider her a 'hero'. I actually know someone who does, it's very cult-like and quite disturbing. Trying to have a conversation w/ some of her fans on why I don't like her goes nowhere.

My biggest pet peeve right now is that it seems like everything is political in one way or another. Even sports has gone this route, and some of the events of the past year did nothing to help. Without getting into too much detail here, if I want to watch talking heads discuss how much they love or dislike Trump, then I can watch several tv channels devoted to that. I don't tune into ESPN for politics, thats what FOX/CNN/MSNBC are for.

Old 07-11-2017, 04:34 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
No - my point is exactly what I stated - I prefer NOTHING nowadays. I don't find the popular comedians funny. Good movies are few and far between. I don't like the music. I'm not into the TV shows that it seems everyone is crazy about.

Perhaps I'm just a weird person that isn't easily entertained. As I said, that can be good and bad. I do somewhat like a few shows like Intervention, American Greed and Dateline so at least I have something to watch.
But you still like re-watching (and enjoying) stuff you enjoyed when you were younger?

I mean I know you like basketball and I used to like it right up until about 1992 or so and now I find it unwatchable. Simple life/taste change, IMHO.

Edited to add...if I were to go by just the feature films available in the multiplexes, I'd agree that I'm completely uninterested in the current fare: superhero re-hashes over and over and over again. But there's more alternatives available now than ever before, just perhaps a little harder to find. Ditto for the usual network TV series...not a fan of the current creative trends but there are so many alternatives it's hard to complain.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM

997 posts, read 710,713 times
I feel the same way. When I'm flipping channels (I have plenty-FIOS Quantum) it seems every show description is about MURDER or Animals or some Dumb Reality Housewife/ Competition show.
I hate murder, its played out. How many NCIS and police shows can their be?
Reality shows are scripted and contrived--do they think we are stupid?
Shows I do like include Genius on National Geographic; Downton Abbey, I tend to like period drama shows like as shown on BBC. However, everytime I see the word Murder , I change the channel.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:41 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Edited to add...if I were to go by just the feature films available in the multiplexes, I'd agree that I'm completely uninterested in the current fare: superhero re-hashes over and over and over again. But there's more alternatives available now than ever before, just perhaps a little harder to find. Ditto for the usual network TV series...not a fan of the current creative trends but there are so many alternatives it's hard to complain.
I think that is the main thrust of what everyone's gripe is, that you have to mine for good stuff and create your own database of good stuff. It used to be that good media was served to you on a silver plate at the local cineplex but now you have you make a concerted effort to build up your tastes. It's not a bad thing but it just sucks that in the mainstream quality has sunk to abysmal lows.

I just finished watching Rough Night and thought, good lord, this is bad. I think I chuckled twice.

I remember I used to think the Austin Powers movies were raunchy and mindless, now I think they're cute and witty compared to the crap out today.

There are few cable shows I think are overrated but I could see why they have a fanbase such as Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. I am not a fan of these but I can admit they're still quality programming compared to network TV.

Old 07-11-2017, 06:56 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,910,085 times
We're living in a 'dumbed down' society that is getting dumber by the day. What else can be expected from TV that is geared to cater for today's mindless viewers? Is Goggle-Box shown in the states? If so, I really don't need to say anything else about this generation of TV morons.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
But you still like re-watching (and enjoying) stuff you enjoyed when you were younger?

I mean I know you like basketball and I used to like it right up until about 1992 or so and now I find it unwatchable. Simple life/taste change, IMHO.

I'll rewatch stuff like Forest Gump, Rocky, Scarface, Goodfellas, etc if I'm flipping through the channels and see it on. I'm not one to spend a lot of time searching out stuff that I might like...usually ends up being hours wasted.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Most Pop culture is insulting or boring to me for a very long time. Bits and pieces stand out from time to time to keep me interested, but one's taste over time changes also. When movie scripts devolved to constant repeats of "F**K", ad nauseam, which continues to this day, it just takes away from rather than adding to the story. It's all a race to the bottom, comedians being the worst. I can't remember the last time any one of them made me laugh. And I'M made out to be a stick in the mud. But put on a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast and you'll see me laughing like never before. What's the difference? Real talent, less drug use, or just different standards?

After all the hype, which turns me off, I finally heard a moment of Justin Bieber's singing. All the hype, over THAT?!? It's all his good looks, and not a damn thing more!! Which only re enforces my getting turned off by hyper hyping by our media.

Maybe the expansion of our media is reaching it's useful end? Look at how news is skewed and twisted so much for so long. I ignore most of what I can't stand, maybe others will finally follow and just turn the horse s**t off.
Dean Martin? I'd rather dig my own eyes out with a spoon, than be subjected to that "humor." Jerry Lewis as well.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:47 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
"Comedians", most are boring and not funny.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
There are still some good movies out there - you just have to search on cable. Read the descriptions. We subscribe to almost everything except Playboy etc. We have a Fire stick as well. If you belong to Amazon as a member you can download movies. They aren't making them like they use to but they are out there. Just have to look.

If we come across a good movie we enjoy - we will tape it. Having said that, if you pay for a movie to rent via cable you cannot tape it. Hope that made sense.
These days, I might try to avoid the descriptions since they either get it wrong or much, much, worse......they give away half the movie in a sentence or two.

I much prefer going into a movie not knowing anything about it. For example, long ago I checked out from "Dusk to Dawn" because I thought it was an ultra violent flick. When what happened happen, it was a total surprise.

It has been a trend that has gone on for decades, alas. In the 70s or so, there was a TV advertisement for "Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?" The narrator was going through a geographic list of how all were buying it and my mother essentially screamed at this.....because he was giving away all the build up of tensions.

One might want to skip what is written and just go by who is in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts