Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:26 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times

Advertisements

I was living in Portland, OR, and I remember seeing it on TV, probably the next day (I wouldn't have been watching Monday Night Football). It's the same mental picture I form as when Reagan was shot a few months later. I was living in the same apartment, so I conflate the two. I remember my sofa and my TV rack, actually, rather than any televised image of either event.

I didn't experience the soul-crushing sadness so many seem to have gone through when Lennon was shot. I had been a Beatles fan since "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came out the first week in 1964, but John lost me nine years prior to his assassination with "How Do You Sleep?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I was 17 and watching Monday Night Football on ABC (I forget what teams were playing) when the network broke in with a news bulletin:

Former Beatle John Lennon was gunned down outside his NYC apartment building. Mr. Lennon was pronounced dead at a local hospital...

I still remember the total shock and sadness I felt. I also remember when they had the lowlife in custody...I wanted to go to the police station and kill him myself! The world lost a legend and for days, seemed that every radio station had tributes to John Lennon.

Where were you?

probably at home..... don't really remember because that event was overshadowed by my dad's sudden and unexpected death EXACTLY two weeks later......

Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Remember it very well and of course it was shocking news. At least his music continues to be heard and appreciated by millions around the world. Just about a year ago we were in NYC on a sidewalk adjacent to Central Park at the front gate of the Dakota apartments where he was shot and the memories came rushing back.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I was living in Portland, OR, and I remember seeing it on TV, probably the next day (I wouldn't have been watching Monday Night Football). It's the same mental picture I form as when Reagan was shot a few months later. I was living in the same apartment, so I conflate the two. I remember my sofa and my TV rack, actually, rather than any televised image of either event.

I didn't experience the soul-crushing sadness so many seem to have gone through when Lennon was shot. I had been a Beatles fan since "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came out the first week in 1964, but John lost me nine years prior to his assassination with "How Do You Sleep?"
I remember that I'd just gotten home from school, it was about 2:30 in the afternoon and I was watching some old B&W movie on a local station when the bulletin broke in that Reagan was shot. The news man had initially said, "Someone just tried to assassinate President Reagan..." Those exact words.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:59 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
Like many others, I was watching Monday night football. It was shocking, but didn't affect me that much. I was 20 years old and death wasn't something I gave any thought to.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:10 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I was in the Bahamas for a few days, and away from the news (and the world in general!). I remember going into a hotel to eat breakfast, and glanced thru a paper while I was sitting there. An article towards the rear of the paper was discussing "John Lennon's estate". I thought, WTF, his estate? It didn't take long to read thru and discover he had been shot & killed a few days earlier.

Sad, very sad. I was a big fan of his creative genius.

Coincidentally, I will be in NYC the rest of the week, and plan on visiting Strawberry Fields.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
if you mean John Lennon getting shot? I dont remember what i was doing exactly, but that was the first famous person that i became aware of that violence took this person's life, someone of my generation, so that startled me a bit into a dose of reality.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:52 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,857,597 times
It was week 13 of the 1980 NFL season, Monday night. New England Patriots and the Miami Dolphins at the Orange Bowl. I had some friends over at the house. I'm sure everyone has youtubed the official announcement where ABC sportscaster How Cosell said in finality-"Dead on arrival.' He said it at the 2 minute warning. What I haven't seen online was the very first words around the 5 minute mark of the 4th quarter--what I remember Cosell saying: "We Have just received a bulletin from the ABC Newsroom that John Lennon has been shot in front of his residence. We hate to give you news like this at this time but it is sadly our jobs to do this."

All of us at my house were completely speechless and who really WAS speechless was the other broadcaster people; Frank Gifford, Don Meredith, and Fran Tarkenton. To Cosell's credit he spent a couple minutes talking about Lennon in general. Remember, it was only a few seasons back that Cosell had Lennon on a MNF broadcast a few seasons back, had him on for a couple minutes IIRC.

That next day (I worked in construction, was laid off for the winter) that next morning I was so torqued off that i remember getting in the car and just driving. And driving. After a couple hours. I had some friends who owned music stores back then and for the next month there was a customer rush for John Lennon solo lp's and Beatles lp's.

Thinking back, I remember for months, thinking about "what next?" Thirty eight years later I still shake my head.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,250,047 times
I was never a Beatles fan so I honestly don't remember where I was or what I was doing. I do remember where I was and what I was doing when Jimi Hendrix death was announced.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Will always remember

Was in a college class (night).

The next day, I had a class where we had to prepare a speech with props and people had been working on theirs all semester.

There were 4 guys in the class; never prepared; all wore the pagers; would get paged; leave class, etc.

Well, one of them goes first. Gets up and makes a long speech about his hard work but he can't do it because he is so upset about Lennon dying. Played a couple of songs and sat down.

The other 3 guys ended up doing a variation of the same thing.

Of course, the rest who had really prepared were really sad also and felt kind of overshadowed but really sad at the same time.

Senseless act. Will never forget.

Always remember the class. I think the rest of us all got A's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts