Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 10:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's fun. I particularly love outdoor venues in the summer. A nice summer night with the stars and moon overhead and thousands of people who love the same music I love. I usually don't even drink anything; I'm just there to enjoy live music under the stars. I LOVE Red Rocks Amphitheatre. I also enjoy Starlight Theater in Kansas City often as an outdoor concert venue. I saw the Rolling Stones at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. That was a great concert. I'd like to see a concert at the Hollywood Bowl sometime.
So do I!

The concerts I attended were fully packed with happy fans swaying to the music and enjoying the entire experience of being there. Hardly analogous to an ice hockey or soccer mass brawl of fans.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 03:11 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Red Rocks!! I've only been there once, but it was incredible. Primus back in 2015. When they did the Willy Wonka stuff. Made me wish I were still into drugs, but I enjoyed it anyways...even with the rain!

I need to keep an eye on their events. I wouldn't mind going up there again sometime. I've heard that Red Rocks is considered largely to be a favorite venue by a LOT of musicians. Apparently the natural acoustics just can't be beat, or replicated, by anything made by man, to say nothing of the sheer beauty of the place.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I’ve also played in bands. There is absolutely nothing on Earth that compares to the feeling of performing live. I was never under any illusion that I would “make it” as a musician, it was just for enjoyment. I have two young kids so I don’t really have the time to do it these days. You’d better believe that when they are older I want to get out there and find and old man bar band to play in!
I’m the same. Have an awesome man cave with PA that I would have killed for way back when. No interest from the kids (yet).

Getting the itch again, might need to do something about it!

Old 12-21-2019, 04:21 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post

Same for Rush. Damn I miss those guys.
The only band I’ve ever seen where the live performance could equal the recording. Perfectionists all which is why they retired

Old 12-21-2019, 08:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
One of the more recent concerts I went to was generally 55+ (don't ask) and they were they rudest bunch of a-holes. We think millennials are on their phones a lot? You couldn't even see the stage from all the phones and full-on iPads being held aloft.

I have been to THOUSANDS of concerts. No, I am not exaggerating. Whatever you may say about music way back then versus now, old people at classic rock concerts are the absolute worst audiences. Rude, drunk, entitled, disengaged (when it's not their favorite song it's blah blah blah). Young kids (12-20) are the best and in between ages, well, they fall somewhere in between.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:18 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I guess I just don’t care about:

1. Feeing the music vibrate
2. Seeing the artist somehow make it more unique (or seeing them at all really)
3. Sharing the experience with others
4. Being in a “special” place

Perhaps I’m a stick in the mud.

Heck, seeing people so excited about music they’ve heard 1000 times actually annoys me in some way, lol.

For me, the most exciting part is being completely blown away by a band I have never seen or heard before. Doesn't happen too often but it does happen.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:09 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,846,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Red Rocks!! I've only been there once, but it was incredible. Primus back in 2015. When they did the Willy Wonka stuff. Made me wish I were still into drugs, but I enjoyed it anyways...even with the rain!

I need to keep an eye on their events. I wouldn't mind going up there again sometime. I've heard that Red Rocks is considered largely to be a favorite venue by a LOT of musicians. Apparently the natural acoustics just can't be beat, or replicated, by anything made by man, to say nothing of the sheer beauty of the place.

I've been lucky to see the amount of shows I've seen at the venue. Lots of bands love the place. One such band is the Moody Blues. They have always stated that their favorite venue in the States is Red Rocks and their favorite venue in England is the Royal Albert Hall. In the 1990's there were live cd's and dvd's made from these venues regarding the band. I have a lot of favorites, will mention John Fogerty's newest recording. Fogerty-Live At 50. Came out just months ago. Recorded at Red Rocks. I was there, also saw him maybe 15 years previous to that at Red Rocks.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Why anyone would pay a fortune to attend a massive stadium event r festival is beyone me.

You can hear some fairly decent bands in smaller venues.

Festivals are well over rated and usuaslly involve paying a fortune to sleep in a tent in a muddy field, and there are so many people you don't get to see much in relation to the msain stage.

There are also charming traditions such as throwing bottles of urine in to the crowd and bands on stage.

Reading Festival: The strange tradition of throwing bottles of urine - BBC newsbeat

Yeah, that throwing urine is an English thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I guess I just don’t care about:

1. Feeing the music vibrate
2. Seeing the artist somehow make it more unique (or seeing them at all really)
3. Sharing the experience with others
4. Being in a “special” place

Perhaps I’m a stick in the mud.

Heck, seeing people so excited about music they’ve heard 1000 times actually annoys me in some way, lol.
So you don’t like them, fine, don’t go to them.
I saw my favorite band Foo Fighters 6 times last year. 2 of those were on rail, my first rail experience being at Wrigley last summer. The best experience of my life. The energy of the band, having Dave Grohl sweating on you, just being that close & then having a second of eye contact.....there’s nothing better than that for me. I can’t wait to see them this next year for their 25th.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:06 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah, that throwing urine is an English thing.

So you don’t like them, fine, don’t go to them.
I saw my favorite band Foo Fighters 6 times last year. 2 of those were on rail, my first rail experience being at Wrigley last summer. The best experience of my life. The energy of the band, having Dave Grohl sweating on you, just being that close & then having a second of eye contact.....there’s nothing better than that for me. I can’t wait to see them this next year for their 25th.
The only person allowed to sweat on me is my lady.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:02 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I’ve seen Rush over the years a few times and it appeals to the musician in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts