Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 01:04 PM

127 posts, read 61,445 times

Advertisements

Gen-x'er here. There were a lot of edgy content in the sitcoms of the 80's too. Facts of life had and episode about date rape and peer pressure surrounding pot smoking. One that really squicked me out was the pedophile episode on Different Strokes. The guy that owned the bicycle shop was a child predator. It showed him grooming Arnold and Dudley and then attempting to molest them. He almost got Dudley. There were a lot of messages and awareness episodes.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Yes. And good television shows more than one side. Little House the TV series has become a classic. When I listen carefully I can hear a message in many of the episodes. Little House the books rises to the level of literature imo. So much information packed into so few, very simple words. Just one example:. "Ma despised Indians. She was afraid of them too.". From The Long Winter.

Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Then I turn on Little House on the Prairie. I loved Little House when I was a little girl. Apparently, my parents didn't let me watch all of the episodes. There's one about a 15 year old girl named Sylvia who develops breasts early, is spied upon by wretched little boys, is raped, ends up pregnant, is going to marry Albert (who had been adopted by the Ingalls) and, instead, ends being attacked by her rapist and dying (partially because of stupid Albert). WTH.

Guess you haven't seen the one where Albert gets addicted to morphine yet...

Old 04-06-2020, 08:46 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Oh, he had it baaad, too! lol

Little House On The Prairie is awesome.

There's not one episode that doesn't make me cry!

Old 04-06-2020, 10:04 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
I've been watching old tv shows to try to relax. I figured I'd watch the shows I grew up with. The tv shows I grew up with were not nearly as happy as I remember.

For example, I turn on the Golden Girls. This episode is "brother can you spare a dime" about homelessness. The girls end up in a homeless shelter and meet an old woman (Sophia's friend from Shady Pines) who ends up, penniless, there, an alcoholic who is also a PHd, etc. I mean, I thought this show was a comedy? So depressing.

Then I turn on Little House on the Prairie. I loved Little House when I was a little girl. Apparently, my parents didn't let me watch all of the episodes. There's one about a 15 year old girl named Sylvia who develops breasts early, is spied upon by wretched little boys, is raped, ends up pregnant, is going to marry Albert (who had been adopted by the Ingalls) and, instead, ends being attacked by her rapist and dying (partially because of stupid Albert). WTH.

I didn't want to resort to SpongeBob, but it might happen.
Golden Girls may have been a comedy but they had a LOT of after-school-special type teachable episodes. Off the top of my head there was one where Rose was addicted to painkillers, Blanche was being abused by a boyfriend, Dorothy had a gambling addiction, Rose fought age discrimination in hiring, Sophia's friend (the same actress in the homeless shelter) wanted to kill herself, another friend of Sophia's was neglected in her nursing home, Rose thought she might have AIDS...

You might not have to resort to cartoons--there's always I Love Lucy!

Old 04-07-2020, 04:17 AM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times
You could always try:

The Danny Thomas Show: "Make Room For Daddy"
All In The Family
"Till Death"
George Burns & Gracie Allen Show

Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Whhaaat?? Albert gets addicted to morphine?

Old 04-07-2020, 07:43 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinetwelve29 View Post
Gen-x'er here. There were a lot of edgy content in the sitcoms of the 80's too. Facts of life had and episode about date rape and peer pressure surrounding pot smoking. One that really squicked me out was the pedophile episode on Different Strokes. The guy that owned the bicycle shop was a child predator. It showed him grooming Arnold and Dudley and then attempting to molest them. He almost got Dudley. There were a lot of messages and awareness episodes.
Gen-x'er here, too. My parents must've completely censored stuff in my house. I watched Different Strokes, but I def did not see that episode.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I clearly remember the Sylvia episode from Little House. I believe it was a two-parter. There was a lot of sad moments on LHOTP.

Old 04-07-2020, 08:16 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Gen-x'er here, too. My parents must've completely censored stuff in my house. I watched Different Strokes, but I def did not see that episode.
Here's a quickie overview!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdBjll62XHs

(It's pretty bad.... I don't remember this episode either tho)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.