Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 04:43 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times

Advertisements

I don't like how female reporters/newscasters can pretty much wear anything but men have strict rules - it seems men can only wear one style of shirt, but more often suits only. Perhaps in certain companies or countries there are stricter rules for women. But if a man can't wear a sleeveless shirt, a woman shouldn't be allowed either, nor should women accentuate their breasts in any way or show cleavage. It's just not professional. Is the whole point to entice men to watch? Do they seriously think men are that shallow, that they won't watch a professionally dressed woman tell the news? Just something that has irked me for years. Interested in men's POV.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:38 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
There are more important things to worry about.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:51 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I don't like how female reporters/newscasters can pretty much wear anything but men have strict rules - it seems men can only wear one style of shirt, but more often suits only. Perhaps in certain companies or countries there are stricter rules for women. But if a man can't wear a sleeveless shirt, a woman shouldn't be allowed either, nor should women accentuate their breasts in any way or show cleavage. It's just not professional. Is the whole point to entice men to watch? Do they seriously think men are that shallow, that they won't watch a professionally dressed woman tell the news? Just something that has irked me for years. Interested in men's POV.
I hope, that news shows aren't deliberately using their female newscasters in this way. I haven't watched TV news in over a decade, so I don't know exactly what's going on. Hopefully, women newscasters aren't being told to show skin to boost ratings. The only way to find out would be to contact the networks. But I've noticed this dichotomy with bank tellers. Some female bank tellers show way too much. There's no sense of professionalism anymore. But those are the one who will never get promoted to higher levels. The few young guys who take those positions and wear suits, do move up, if that's their goal.

I agree with you, OP.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
There are more important things to worry about.
There are more important things to do than watch TV, but this is the Entertainment forum, in case you hadn't noticed. It's basically all about Entertainment trivia, and discussing favorite shows and actors. There are dozens of other forums here on more serious topics, if that's your thing.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:58 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are more important things to do than watch TV, but this is the Entertainment forum, in case you hadn't noticed. It's basically all about Entertainment trivia, and discussing favorite shows and actors. There are dozens of other forums here on more serious topics, if that's your thing.
Yet the OP posted about a social norm, possibly political, possibly religious, etc....

AND.....it had nothing to do with TRIVIA!

Old 08-13-2022, 05:15 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Yet the OP posted about a social norm, possibly political, possibly religious, etc....

AND.....it had nothing to do with TRIVIA!
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? My post has NOTHING to do with politics or religion! I was just looking for opinions, which is the point of a social forum such as this. The only criteria I had to follow was ENTERTAINMENT which NEWS definitely falls under!!!!

Old 08-14-2022, 01:03 PM

23,253 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Well, I don't know which news programs you are in the habit of watching, but the newscasters on the few I think are worthy of my time (and I switch it up to keep myself aware of bias) don't seem to be dressed inappropriately. My personal taste in clothing is fairly modest. And I'm certainly no leering male. Maybe your taste in women's clothing is more conservative than most. Are you suggesting that all newscasters of any gender should wear dress suits? OTOH, I pity those suit-wearing men. That studio lighting gets HOT!

Old 08-14-2022, 01:58 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hope, that news shows aren't deliberately using their female newscasters in this way. I haven't watched TV news in over a decade, so I don't know exactly what's going on. Hopefully, women newscasters aren't being told to show skin to boost ratings.

I agree with you, OP.

Oh, YES!! That's EXACTLY what they are TOLD to do.
There is a strict selection and only the best looking women get to be newscasters. Intellect it's optional. Sometimes they are lucky to score both.
Take a look at the "weather girls"!
Whatever boost the ratings. Competition is high.

But many women in broadcasting say that pressures to dress sexier for the camera have been ratcheting up for at least a decade and have come to a point that they can seem pervasive.

Men, on the other hand, could be old, fat and balding. No one expect them to be handsome.

Read this, it's quite sad ...

Quote:
Current and former female broadcasters in Boston tell stories about wardrobe consultants hired by station management pushing clothing that some on-air talent don’t want to wear; women crying in the makeup room because they feel pressured to dress a certain way; a modestly dressed anchor being asked to dress like a sexier new colleague who wore her skirts short and her tops unbuttoned.
https://www.boston.com/culture/local...sexier-on-air/

And

According to researchers:
“Emphasis on the sexual attractiveness of female news anchors distracts from memory formation for news content: men’s cognitive mechanisms favored visual over verbal processing”

https://slate.com/technology/2022/03...fluencing.html

Last edited by elnina; 08-14-2022 at 02:23 PM..

Old 08-14-2022, 04:41 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
You think TV newscasters are bad, take a look at the difference between women and men's national team track and field uniforms. The women's shorts are the size of hipster panties, and the tops are cropped so you can see their midriff. The men's shorts go halfway down their thighs and the shirts cover their waist. Why? Both genders are doing the same sports.

My guess is that whenever there's an obvious discrepancy, it's all to appeal to male viewers. I mean, I've seen some very plain-looking male newscasters, while a woman of the same level of attractiveness would never be hired.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
You think TV newscasters are bad, take a look at the difference between women and men's national team track and field uniforms. The women's shorts are the size of hipster panties, and the tops are cropped so you can see their midriff. The men's shorts go halfway down their thighs and the shirts cover their waist. Why? Both genders are doing the same sports.

My guess is that whenever there's an obvious discrepancy, it's all to appeal to male viewers. I mean, I've seen some very plain-looking male newscasters, while a woman of the same level of attractiveness would never be hired.
That even crept into Olympic game uniforms for women, decades ago now. It's shameless exploitation for viewership's sake. It's so extreme, that it's obvious, and undeniable.

But I didn't know this was going on with female news anchors. Weathergirls, yes. But serious news? Maybe there should be a consumer revolt, and a newscaster protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts