Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:18 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,480,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
By British I specifically mean English.

Some well known examples; Jaffar(Aladdin), Stewie Griffin(Family Guy), Van Pelt(Jumanji), Miss Trunchball(Matilda), Scar (The Lion King), Maleficent(Sleeping Beauty), Wicked Stepmother(Cinderella), David Bowie(Labyrinth) and Anthony Hopkins(The Silence of the Lambs).

This seems to be a favourite tactic of Disney What's the history behind this are Americans secretly subconsciously terrified of us Brits
Not Brits, Aristocrats.

There is a certain association with the upper class english accents with blue bloods or upper class, old money wealth, even in america. The old WASP's are often potrayed as talking with an effected english accent. Old style WASPs are also favorite movie villians as well. Ergo, many villans have the accent.

The other factor is many of the actors you mentioned above are brits, so I guess the writers/directors saw no reason for them to alter there speech as part of there charachter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:06 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,386,468 times
Quote:

Some well known examples; Jaffar(Aladdin), Stewie Griffin(Family Guy), Van Pelt(Jumanji), Miss Trunchball(Matilda), Scar (The Lion King), Maleficent(Sleeping Beauty), Wicked Stepmother(Cinderella), David Bowie(Labyrinth) and Anthony Hopkins(The Silence of the Lambs).

This seems to be a favourite tactic of Disney What's the history behind this are Americans secretly subconsciously terrified of us Brits
Maybe because they sound more mysterious???
They use the same accent when doing most Biblical based movies as well.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,244,494 times
Quote:

Because it's not un-PC to pick on White people. BTW, look at who controls Hollywood and you'll better understand matters.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM

14 posts, read 17,419 times
Quote:

You got that right. We're still upset about the war of 1812!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:19 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,111,185 times
I think it goes back to the idea of the "British Empire"

Great Britain historically has owned vast numbers of land around the world. They are (or were) seen by many as an imperialistic society whose tentacles reach to many lands and conquer the people within them (Asia, Africa, America, etc.)

British Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice in the Star Wars movies the Imperial forces all speak with English accents. (So does Obi Wan, by the way).

I think, as a previous poster stated, it also has to do with the vocal tonality and inflection the English posess.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 5,398 times
Well it seems a lot of Americans are very easily confused, when I was in the states my New Zealand accent was taken as being English by most.
Of course one or two Philistines made the error of believing I was an Australian.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,827,873 times
I am German and even I find the sound of British English rather cold and ugly, the regional dialects are even worse
But there is a long tradition of British (and to a certain extent even German) actors in Hollywood. Those who have been in the States for a long time probably tend to speak more like Americans (people like Nicolas Coster). Plus, there are Americans who try to speak like Brits for certain roles such as butlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts