Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM

177 posts, read 256,754 times

Advertisements

Dane Cook is as terrible as Jim Carrey and Martin Lawrence.

They all make me cringe.

Bill Burr - now he's funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM

484 posts, read 1,584,906 times
I honestly can't stand him.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:12 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,594 times
Cook is OK....but he is nowhere near the caliber of a Pryor, Carlin, Williams, Murphy, Rock, etc. Cook is a leading comedian in his era, which sadly does not boast that many talented comics. Truth be told, Patton Oswalt is the most unfunny person in existence IMHO.

Cook would never achieve this level of excellence, RIP Bill:

YouTube - Bill Hicks on Marketing

Old 05-13-2010, 12:10 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Dane Cook might be funny if he ever stops stealing jokes (all the way from Bill Cosby to Louis C.K.) and tried writing his own stuff...well perhaps he got nothing original and funny of his own hence stealing from others...

Marksman, forget about him achieving Bill Hicks' level of excellence, he has to catch up with bunch of other mediocre comedians first.

Sadly entertainment industry keeps some of the newer and better ones hidden or at least slows down their path to fame. I much rather watch the same show 5 times back to back from any one of the following comedians than watch Dane Cook:
Rick Gervais, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart, Chris Rock, Doug Stanhope.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:35 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Being from Boston I like to see locals with talent succeed in their careers (Jay Leno, Athony Michael Hall, etc.). But I have to say...I think Dane Cook is just awful. I'm bored with his routine within the first 2 minutes because he is not funny at all. He tells ridiculous stories that have no element of humor at all and yet people love the guy. I just don't get it. In all honesty, what makes this guy even remotely funny?
He is ok, but nothing hilarious. I often am perplexed at how successful the guy is.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:11 AM

947 posts, read 2,424,198 times
Can't stand Dane Cook.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:50 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,735,023 times
same... Dane Cook bleah

Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
I don't think he's funny in fact I thought I was the only one out there until I read this thread! I can see how he is "cute" to girls, he tells the kind of jokes that one of my girlfriends would find funny but to me they are all really corny.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:22 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Being from Boston I like to see locals with talent succeed in their careers (Jay Leno, Athony Michael Hall, etc.). But I have to say...I think Dane Cook is just awful. I'm bored with his routine within the first 2 minutes because he is not funny at all. He tells ridiculous stories that have no element of humor at all and yet people love the guy. I just don't get it. In all honesty, what makes this guy even remotely funny?
I saw his show on HBO for the first time last night and I was disappointed. I think he is popular because he appeals to women. On the surface, it sounds like he is a guy's comedian but if you notice the subject matter is always about relationships that favor the women's perspective like his stint on why men shouldn't cheat. I don't think he is funny at all. There is really no hook or cleverness to his routine. It's just him rambling on about relationships.

I like all types of comedians from Steven Wright, Sinbad, Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy (Raw) to Margaret Cho. I just don't find Dane Cook funny. I'm not a snob when it comes to comedy. I noticed some of the respondents deliberately listed comedians no one has heard of out of some elite status much like people deliberately avoid listening to mainstream music so they can stand out.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-03-2010 at 05:38 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 12:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
I've heard of him and wondered about all the hype so I sat and watched 2 different specials of his. The first I was sober and had a couple beers over the course of the show. I cracked a smile once but that was it. I figured maybe he was funny if a was more lubed up. Had 6 and some jager by the time the show came on...it was less funny than the first. I dont see how he's popular. Very boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts