Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 AM

231 posts, read 778,552 times

Advertisements

@travellingirl: My vote goes to Eugene...here's why:

Eugene:
-lots of progressive liberals (tie)
-laid back (win)
-plenty of restaurants (lose)
-lots of outdoors things to do (tie)
-good sports activities to watch (UO football and track) (tie)
-good biking atmosphere (lose)
-green green green (win)
-not too much chain-store-sprawl but a few chain stores for when you really need one (win)
-compact city area (win)
-little traffic (win)

Portland:
-laid back compared to some cities but less so than little Eugene (lose)
-even more restaurants (win)
-good sports activities to watch (pro basketball, soccer, etc.) (tie)
-great biking atmosphere (win)
-green-ish, but not as green as Eugene (lose)
-a bit more chain-store-sprawl (lose)
-not compact city area (lose)
-fairly bad traffic at peak times and/or major highways...not as bad as LA but getting there. (lose)

One big issue to consider: Portland has many many more job opportunities than Eugene. For me, this is not a factor. But for you, it might be very important.

Note: Once you move to Eugene/Portland, you will quickly learn to dress properly for potential rain, i.e. layers usually including one waterproof-ish layer on the outside. Rain?...What rain? ;-)

Note2: Rentals in Eugene can be had for around $300-400 per bedroom if you get a 3 bedroom place. You can probably find a one bedroom apt for $600. I found quite a few on padmapper that theoretically fit the bill: http://www.padmapper.com/?lat=44.027...ng=0&maxTime=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 AM

10 posts, read 21,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am afraid I am another kind of a downer but I am going to chime in. First of all I will not say don't do it. Not at all. But if we are talking Portland, 5k will not last long. $10.00 an hour won't go very far in Portland either but it's a start.

The type of neighborhood you describe you would like is going to cost way more than $600 for a rental. Even the less popular neighborhoods are pretty expensive. You could swing it with a roommate or two though. Portland has a 3% vacancy rate so competition for a decent apartment will be high. If you plan to go to school, you can look into student housing which may be more affordable.

Stick with Starbucks at first if you can swing a transfer. They are the best of that type of place to work for. They also pay well compared to many jobs in Portland and it's your foot in the door to for a base when looking for other work. You have no idea how lucky you are to have this opportunity as opposed to those who come here with no job and have to begin the very difficult job of finding work in an area where there is tons of competition.

Another piece of advice I would give you is not to use the bad aspects of where you are now and want to get away from to justify the bad aspects that exist where you want to move. You may find those things or at least some of them in the new place which can be very disappointing. It does sound better here than the place from which you want to move but there are similarities.

Having money saved, a job to go to and a realistic idea of the negatives as well as the positives I believe are the keys to success to moving to any new place.
Well said and very realistic. Not a downer at all. I appreciate your honesty and straight forwardness. Making a move like this always has some sort of emotion behind it (at least for me it does), but I think the majority of the decision making process should be based on common sense and "what can I actually afford?" Oregon is not perfect and I don't expect it to be. You're right, there may be similarities and I must have realistic expectations. But I think the positives will outweigh the negatives.

I know 5k isn't much and it can go fast. The plus is that I will have a steady flow of income. I don't take that for granted, but I also don't underestimate how fast cash can go. I know you said even the less desirable neighborhoods can be a bit pricey. Where would you recommend I should look? I can sacrifice living in a cool neighborhood with a lot of things to do for a slower paced, more residential spot if it's within my financial means. I think I will be content regardless. Especially if I'm not going completely broke!

Would Eugene be a better alternative to Portland? On the whole, would it be a more reasonable place to be? More affordable rents, with more to choose from?

Thanks for all your help, it really is appreciated.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
@travellingirl: My vote goes to Eugene...here's why:

Eugene:
-laid back (win)
-plenty of restaurants (lose)
-good sports activities to watch (UO football and track) (tie)
-good biking atmosphere (lose)
-green green green (win)
-not too much chain-store-sprawl but a few chain stores for when you really need one (win)
-compact city area (win)
-little traffic (win)

Portland:
-laid back compared to some cities but less so than little Eugene (lose)
-even more restaurants (win)
-good sports activities to watch (pro basketball, soccer, etc.) (tie)
-great biking atmosphere (win)
-green-ish, but not as green as Eugene (lose)
-a bit more chain-store-sprawl (lose)
-not compact city area (lose)
-fairly bad traffic at peak times and/or major highways...not as bad as LA but getting there. (lose)

One big issue to consider: Portland has many many more job opportunities than Eugene. For me, this is not a factor. But for you, it might be very important.

Note: Once you move to Eugene/Portland, you will quickly learn to dress properly for potential rain, i.e. layers usually including one waterproof-ish layer on the outside. Rain?...What rain? ;-)

Note2: Rentals in Eugene can be had for around $300-400 per bedroom if you get a 3 bedroom place. You can probably find a one bedroom apt for $600. I found quite a few on padmapper that theoretically fit the bill: Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Thank you! Very good points. Less traffic would definitely be a positive and I guess it makes perfect sense seeing as how big Portland is. Scares me a bit. I'm not a big fan of the LA traffic. I travel there from time to time, I'm only a couple hours away, but I never enjoy it. The greenery in Eugene was pretty impressive. It was a beautiful place. I could easily see it being more laid back as well. It doesn't have that big city mentality. In fact, it seemed small for some reason, it just had that feel. I'll definitely take all this into account. The 600/month price range seems to be pretty common in Eugene, from what little I've looked. Probably the biggest plus.

Thank you again!!!

Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 AM

Ok. I've read so many posts on this forum recently (it's addicting). And I'd just like to note, how very diverse everyone's likes/dislikes are when it comes to living in a place. Many people come here to seek advice about moving to a place they've never seen or visited. Making a move to a new place can be a frightening, exciting, tedious thing. Even for someone like myself, who is single, no kids, not many possessions or bills, it's a lot to research, consider and process. It's kind of like sarting at a new school, yet with a much bigger sense of responsibility.

I remember travelling around and visiting places that people would rave on and on about. Austin, Texas for one and Boulder, Colorado for another. I didn't care for either of those places. However, there were a lot of places that I visted that I really liked.

So I've decided that I'm going to drive up to Oregon again, before I decide to make a permanent move there. I think that's a wise thing to do. I briefly saw Eugene and I loved it. I'd like to see more of it and I'd also like to see Portland. That way I can get a first hand idea of what these places are like. It will cost money to do this and that may seem counterproductive in one sense, but I think it's important to have an idea of where you're going, to see it with your own eyes.

Everyone who responded, thank you. Anyone else who reads this, if you have anything to offer, please do! Can't wait to visit Oregon again, get rained on and breath in that fresh pine smelling air!

Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Well, my brother lives in Bakersfield, and he is trapped underwater on a house, so he can't move. You have my sympathy.

Certainly, the economy is no worse here than there at the moment, but please try to land a job before moving. Oregon seems to be one of the top states for people to move and end up on public assistance. Starbuck may not be ideal, but at least it pays the bills, so plan to do the same here. If you pull your weight somehow, you will fit in. We have far too many pseudohippy layabout kids who move here for "funemployment" and to freeload. We don't need any more. Enough said on that topic (but gives extra evil eye just in case...).

Given your interests, I would consider:

Eugene (for the reasons mentioned)
Portland (more jobs to choose from)
Corvallis (very quaint college town with LOW UNEMPLOYMENT)
Medford / Ashland (plenty of coffee shops, but UE is still high here)

Eureka/Arcata, CA (very woodsy, great social scene)
Chico, CA (not quite as woodsy, but much less polluted than BF, terrific town with a tremendous social and music scene)

You might even consider Washington. Bellingham is a wonderful town. Probably a climatic opposite of BF. Far more cold and grey than hot and sunny. Might or might not be your thing, but worth a look!

All these towns will have the lifestyle you are after, though landing a job will be the most important hurdle.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
You will be happier in either place if you can lose your animosity toward "illegal immigrants". Hispanics legal and il- are all over Oregon and developing a more positive attitude toward people who are different from you will enhance your life no matter where you end up. Good move getting out of Bakersfield. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,559,522 times
I think room mate arrangements would be easiest to find in Eugene because many students share housing off campus. Another detail that hasn't been mentioned is that Eugene has an extensive network of bike paths. Commuting by bike can save significant $$$.

While Starbuck's compensation rates may not be high remember that they provide HEALTH INSURANCE to employees. That is huge.

It is true that there are fewer job opportunities in Eugene than Portland but you can build a social network in Eugene that you can leverage in Portland should you want to move on.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and I think you will do well. I don't know enough about Eugene to comment on living there. A couple of neighborhoods in Portland that are good but not yet trendy enough to cost a fortune are Lents and Montavilla. There are also some low income buildings scattered along downtown near PSU (Portland State University) with student housing mixed in. The problem is there may be a waiting list for the low income buildings. You could walk to grocery shopping, entertainment, farmer's market and the bus mall from there if you are able to find subsidized rental housing downtown.

The roommate situation will get you most anywhere you would want to live. But I can understand if it it wouldn't be an option. It wouldn't for me.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Use the money to go to school and get the skills for a real job. Starbucks is a good choice for students, but it won't support you. If School is your choice, Eugene is a good one. Corvallis is short on housing (real short) but cheaper school. Just moving here to get away from where you are may have more to-do with you, than where you are, so don't expect it to be better.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Well, my brother lives in Bakersfield, and he is trapped underwater on a house, so he can't move. You have my sympathy.

Certainly, the economy is no worse here than there at the moment, but please try to land a job before moving. Oregon seems to be one of the top states for people to move and end up on public assistance. Starbuck may not be ideal, but at least it pays the bills, so plan to do the same here. If you pull your weight somehow, you will fit in. We have far too many pseudohippy layabout kids who move here for "funemployment" and to freeload. We don't need any more. Enough said on that topic (but gives extra evil eye just in case...).

Given your interests, I would consider:

Eugene (for the reasons mentioned)
Portland (more jobs to choose from)
Corvallis (very quaint college town with LOW UNEMPLOYMENT)
Medford / Ashland (plenty of coffee shops, but UE is still high here)

Eureka/Arcata, CA (very woodsy, great social scene)
Chico, CA (not quite as woodsy, but much less polluted than BF, terrific town with a tremendous social and music scene)

You might even consider Washington. Bellingham is a wonderful town. Probably a climatic opposite of BF. Far more cold and grey than hot and sunny. Might or might not be your thing, but worth a look!

All these towns will have the lifestyle you are after, though landing a job will be the most important hurdle.
It's a bad economy, period. I'm sorry to hear about your brother's troubles. My parents were foreclosed on, a lot of people have been and continue to go through hard times. That's why I consider myself lucky to have a job, however menial it may be. I've never utilized public assistance but I could understand why there would be plenty abuse of the system in Oregon. Same here in Cali. It's kind of funny because I used to work with a guy who recently transferred to Eugene. He has sisters up and down the west coast that he can use for a place to stay whenever he so desires. Must be a nice luxury to have. Unfortunately some of us do have to pull our own weight or at least try!

The Eureka and Arcata suggestions are interesting. I've heard nothing but good things about Washington. These are all great suggestions. Thank you! I'm going to have to plan a major road trip to scope these places out.

P.S. I'll trade the smog for fresh air despite grey skies and chilly temperatures. At least, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area