Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 21,186 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am moving to Eugene soon and I was wondering if there are any areas in particular that should be avoided to live in. Most decent sized towns seem to have their bad areas and I was wondering if Eugene was the same.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 34,465 times
Default How is life in Eugene?

My husband, three small children and I are planning on moving to Eugene in late spring 2007. We were just in Eugene last weekend and loved it! I have been doing some research online and am terrified of what I read regarding the job market there. My husband is an attorney and I will be a full time doctoral student. Any advise or information on getting a descent job as an attorney? Someone told us if he went as a solo practitioner it would be very difficult for him to get started. Also, does anyone have any information on the Montessori schools in the Eugene area? Thank you!

Old 10-29-2006, 09:57 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,941 times
I would suggest that he join another law firm or partner with another attorney in his area of specialty. There are some nice newer homes off the Beltway that caught our eye two weeks ago when we were there. The Eugene Board of Education should be able to answer your questions regarding schools in the area. They can tell you which schools have the best test scores.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Old 10-29-2006, 10:24 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznita View Post
Any advise or information on getting a descent job as an attorney?
What field(s) of practice?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 34,465 times
Well he wants to go into real estate, business or something similar. He is not currently practicing. He will take the OR bar in Feb. We have been in AZ for four years (and before he went to law school in the mid 90's) and he had been focusing on real estate investments -since the market here was pretty good for a while - now it is horrible! So.....time to grow up and raise the kids in a good place - seems like Eugene is the perfect fit!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 24,164 times
Hi,
I just moved to Eugene by way of Mesa Arizona in mid August. Have my daughter in school here (1st grade), she loves it!! She's at Willagillespie in the Ferry Street Bridge area. Very nice neighborhood.
We have decided that being out in the county is something we really want to do, (I'm a long time city girl so wish me luck)so I went into escrow today for a place with 7 acres and a new 2006 custom home.
I will say I LOVE OREGON!!! The coast! the trees! the green!
The most disturbing thing is that people actually look at you, I mean really see you. Just not use to that.
The Oregon people are very protective of Oregon, I can understand, the beauty here is incredible and I'm finding myself saying "oh ya, it rains, it's grey, all the time" Not really.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 24,164 times
Default Just moved myself

I've heard, stay out of Springfield.
Other then that I haven't seen any areas that were bad. The area around the college is, well around a college.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:03 PM

46 posts, read 200,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene_Soon! View Post
Hi all, I am moving to Eugene soon and I was wondering if there are any areas in particular that should be avoided to live in. Most decent sized towns seem to have their bad areas and I was wondering if Eugene was the same.

Thanks for the help!
Do you want to live in a large town?
(or) Do you perfer a small town?

Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM

45 posts, read 256,109 times
I never understand when people say "stay out of Springfield." Eugene has this weird hatred toward the city. Living in Springfield for 10 years, I find that most of the places I ever felt unsafe were in areas of Eugene. Gads. In the eastern part of Springfield you can find homes equal to or better than most of the areas within Eugene. They often call this area "Thurston" but it's quite far from the Thurston Road that they try to use. There's good spots and bad spots between the two cities. Bad areas are the Whitaker neighborhood in Eugene, in my recollection. My area of Springfield? Well, it's not so pretty and I don't encourage moving there (around Olympic St).

Old 10-31-2006, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 16,232 times
Hi
Just wondering why Eugene Oregon or Lane County is ranked the 5th
worst air quality area in the US. Data was seen in Air pollution
index. It was something about particulates. Very curious about the
reason behind this and the accuracy. LA was ranked Number one.
Anyone with info on this subject please offer me your info.
Steve97415 let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area