Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:01 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Note: I also have a two wheel drive car - have the choice of driving an AWD, or two wheel drive car when it snows... And I ALWAYS choose to drive the AWD car - no contest!
I would too, no doubt about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 92,461 times
Also, we definitely don't have a cold and icy climate. Winters tend to be pretty moderate, with average temps in the low to mid 40's. It rarely snows and when it does it typically melts fast. Snow that sticks around happens once every 2-3 years on average. If it does and you need to get around, chains will do the job just fine. Or just do what most other people do and stay home.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:36 AM

34 posts, read 73,263 times
Thanks for the info everyone.
I'm moving to Eugene soon, and also recently returned my lease.
I am thinking about either leasing another vehicle, or purchasing a used vehicle.
I wasn't sure how the weather is in Eugene, so I was debating whether or now a 4WD car is even necessary.
I was actually more curious about the weather more than anything, I guess I should have posted something about that.

Well many people have replied with a lot of good info and the winters don't seem that bad.
I haven't lived in a climate that goes under 50 so not really used to cold weather or driving in snow/icy conditions.
I'm guessing a nice set of tires and chains in my trunk will do.
Never put on chains but looked at some vids and doesn't seem too difficult.
Still kind of thinking about the studded tires lol......doesn't seem that necessary but seems like something useful for icy roads...

Old 03-11-2015, 09:41 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I'd say it is not worth it for a daily driver, unless you do a bunch of skiing, or off roadinge, etc. There might be a couple days per year of ice and snow, but that is about it.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that AWD or 4WD extracts a cost in gas mileage that may outweigh the occasional advantages of 4WD.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

I could be wrong, but my impression is that AWD or 4WD extracts a cost in gas mileage that may outweigh the occasional advantages of 4WD.
I didn't mention this earlier since I didn't want to muddle the message, but since it's gone on so long I will say...

there are a few places in Eugene where AWD/4WD and winter tires wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. If you live up the hill off 30th/Spring, the equation shifts a little bit, since that climb/descent can be a serious risk (to your car, and perhaps your health if you slid into a head-on) in inclement weather.

If you were commuting over the hill to LCC it's not a bad idea either, though from most of the city you could get around the hill by taking alternative routes. If you live up on the hill, there is no alternative route. But regardless of vehicle, many of the folks I know who live up there play it safe and just call in sick when the weather gets bad, even if the rare inch of snow on the valley floor really isn't that big a deal.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:53 AM

this is a bit random, but i was just curious so i thought i'd ask..

how do you quote someone and make a new post? (just like bler144 recently did)
i'm curious how to get parts of a text from someone's posting and quote it.
sorry i'm new to city data

Old 03-12-2015, 10:11 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloha88 View Post

how do you quote someone and make a new post? (just like bler144 recently did)
i'm curious how to get parts of a text from someone's posting and quote it.
sorry i'm new to city data
Look at the box around each post - toward the bottom right you should see a button that says "Quote" - or if you mouseover it says 'Reply with quote.'

Old 03-13-2015, 11:08 PM

Default Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Look at the box around each post - toward the bottom right you should see a button that says "Quote" - or if you mouseover it says 'Reply with quote.'
Thank you!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:30 PM

43 posts, read 45,721 times
the weather is very mild now in Eugene, but the downside is it's a drought. Meaning, we don't get much rain anymore not even enough to supply local farmers. No, there's no snow or ice in this last winter. More like California, dry like a desert. Don't try gardening here anymore. Not worth it. You'd be better off going to Washington state for that. You wouldn't have any trouble driving here, except for the immense amount of traffic jams and bad freeway accidents. I don't even like to drive here anymore.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:34 AM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
I can't believe there are 3 pages of threads about 4x4 cars in Eugene. I grew up there and lived there for 20 years in the 70s and 80s. Back when very few pickup trucks were 4x4 and no one drove SUVs. No one ever even thought about the need for 4x4 or AWD until the car companies started marketing it when they were trying to sell SUVs in the 90s. Just go to Fred Meyer or Les Schwab, buy a set of chains, toss them in the trunk for that 1 time out of 5 that you find yourself crossing one of the passes in fresh snow and you are good to go. In fact I would drive up to go skiing about every other weekend and it was only about 10% of the time that I ever even needed to put chains on. And I was driving an old VW bus that was hardly the best snow car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area