Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 AM

609 posts, read 807,997 times

Advertisements

You do not need awd here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM

50 posts, read 62,603 times
I don't live in Eugene, but I grew up in Seattle, lived in North Dakota for 5-6 years, and have been living in the Minneapolis area for almost 3 years now. My job requires me to drive North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and formally Wisconsin. Prior to this job, I didn't own a car, so what kind of car did I buy, knowing I'd be driving on snowy and icy roads with winters that go from late October to early May (and by winter I mean, it can and DOES snow). Honda Fit!

Trust me, you do NOT need AWD or 4x4 for Eugene. If you are going to be constantly driving up in the mountains, yes, get it. I dated someone who had a cabin in the mountains and had an uphill drive on compacted snow to get to said cabin--you NEED 4 wheel drive for that. That's what you get it for, going up hill in back traction regularly.

If you don't have a cabin in the mountains, or work somewhere up there, don't get it. It costs more (thousands more, in general) and you get lower gas mileage. I did a ton of research last September on cars, and that's the result I found. Also, IF you are really concerned about winter traction, don't get "all season tires" the joke in Minnesota is that all season means no season. They are better than summer tires in winter, but they are NOT winter tires.

Winter tires. There are different types. Some area formulated for cold dry weather, some are formulated/siped to shed snow. I still have my crappy default tires that came with the Honda Fit (original tires are generally crappy compared to one you buy later) and I survived the winter just fine. But again, if you're really concerned, get winter tires. Personally, in Eugene, I would get all season tires because mostly I understand you'll have a lot of wet pavement (if it's anything like Seattle).

Studded tires. These are illegal in Minnesota because they DESTROY the road. Essentially when you use them, you are pissing on everyone's tax dollars (to be crude). Get chains. If you live somewhere where there is hard pack snow and ice and your studs will never hit the pavement, use them there. That's not Eugene.

Anyhow, biggest advice is GO SLOW. When I was new to driving in Minneapolis I spun out on the highway and luckily no one hit me, and I landed on the side of the road, but luckily was able to get enough traction (2005 honda civic) to get out and get going. I drove real slow and was shaky the next 20 miles to work. People all over drive too fast. Most of the cars in the ditch are SUVs. 4WD is not 4 wheel stop. Winter tires > 4wd imo for most situations (excl. mountain cabin example). I always give myself extra "rear end room" -- I assume the guy behind me will plow into me, so I give myself lots of room before the guy in front of me. Drive in the right lane, go slow. 'nuff said.

(also, like I said, I got a Honda Fit, and I whole heartedly recommend that car. I can transport christmas trees inside of it, 8' long rolled up rugs, 2x4x8s, ikea flat pack furniture etc. I get 36mpg in MN cold winter driving, 42-48 in 60 degree weather. hwy mileage of course is better than city driving...I drive mostly highway miles). OH and for eugene, you can fit your bicycle inside the car! and you can use it like a camper.... sleeps 2 people!)

Old 04-17-2015, 11:18 PM

609 posts, read 807,997 times
It can hi years without snowing and when it foes it usually melts within a few days.

I always wonder why people drive those heavy Subaru outbacks around town. They get 19 mpg while I get 32 in my Honda civic.

You could drive an all wheel drive car in Eugene for three years and never have the AWD system engage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area