Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 PM

12 posts, read 22,856 times

Advertisements

I'd like to return to Oregon as this is where I grew up. I love it so much that I spend every vacation here. I'm 43, single, could live anywhere in the state. My background is in mental health, I've been a case manager in community mental health for five years. Is six month salary enough to keep me floating until I find a job? I'm thinking six months should surely be enough, but I suppose the locals know better. I'm 43, female, and have no children. It may or may not make a difference, but I am also a licensed foster care provider in my state, and would like to eventually be a foster parent in Oregon as well.

Any thoughts? I'm serious about going home, but if six months salary isn't enough, I'll wait a bit longer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 07:27 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
I'd say it depends upon how much the salary is that you have saved up.

If you are unemployed and moving from out of state, you might have some difficulties finding a place to rent. Again, some landlords would take you but that would depend upon how much was in the savings account. There is a lot of difference between the six month's salary of a part time store clerk and the six month's savings of a cardiac-surgeon.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,623,659 times
Have you already done some evaluation of career opportunities (number/frequency of positions, salary offered vs. local cost of living, etc.)?

I know people employed in your field, but I don't know it well enough to say what sort of churn or demand there would be for your services.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
I would live "on the cheap" until you find a good job. Maybe find a roommate situation which would be much less than rent - try craigslist.org. If you have a lot of "stuff", maybe place it in a storage locker as well, then you can do the roommate thing (renting just one room), or find a studio apartment, either of which would be much less rent.

Then find a job, any job - McDonalds or whatever - part time and/or weekends. Then you would have a little income for now and could job hunt on weekdays when not working.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanks for all of the responses, and for being so friendly with the responses. I do know that turnover in my field is fair, but I'm also willing to take a lesser paying job. My plan is to finish my masters degree, also.

As for the rental, I'm hoping it won't be too hard. I think that possibly buying a small RV and setting it up in a park somwhere until I find a job would be the best idea. This would allow me to apply for jobs anywhere in the state and then just move near the job when I get one.

I would definitely take a throwaway or temporary job until I can get back into my field. Are jobs like that more plentiful?

Again, thanks so much. No one is saying "don't come, there are no jobs" like they were a few years ago, so maybe it's more doable now than it was then.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
I rented in Eugene for awhile recently, and so did my adult son. Neither of us had any problem whatsoever finding a decent rental from a dista

I recently rented in Eugene for awhile and had no problem finding a decent rental from a distance. I don't know about jobs in your particular field, but I think you'll be able to find something. You can do better than McD's for temporary employment, I'm sure.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:23 PM

Thank you very much, Metlakatla, I am starting to feel even more positive that I was before

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
LOL, something obviously happened to my previous post. I think I started it and then started it over but didn't erase what I'd started.

I don't know much about jobs in your field, but I've heard it's fairly easy to get on here:

http://www.lookingglass.us/employment/

Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 PM

That is so odd that you posted this link. I grew up in foster care, Looking Glass Shelter Home on River Road was the last place I lived while living in Oregon. It is the reason that I now work with youths in foster care and am a foster parent now. I've always wondered if they would be keen on hiring an old "alumni".

Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,294,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavs View Post
That is so odd that you posted this link. I grew up in foster care, Looking Glass Shelter Home on River Road was the last place I lived while living in Oregon. It is the reason that I now work with youths in foster care and am a foster parent now. I've always wondered if they would be keen on hiring an old "alumni".
I should think that would be a plus (so long as you met their basic requirements). And it sure could come in handy if a kid started giving you flack about how "you don't understand what it is like to be a foster kid"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area